TIPM?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JohnUSA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 Laramie
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My truck started having issues a couple weeks ago.

At first, my driver seat would suddenly move back and forth about a 1/2", as if it were "hunting" for a home spot, like a home sensor was going bad.
Then, just as I was going to order a sensor, it went away. All of a sudden, I started getting many alert indicators coming on at the same time on the dashboard. Seat belt indicator, parking brake, engine icon....sometimes when they all come on, the windshield wiper cycles one time by itself. The radio goes silent.

Then, sometimes the radio comes back on, and sometimes the seat cycles again.

I have a friend who loaned me his scanner, and I get codes for things I don't even have, like rear heated seats. So, I'm unable to tell which codes are real, and which codes are phantom.

I tried to clear all codes with both a Snap-On code reader, and AlphaOBD app. It seemed like they all cleared except two: one was for left rear turn signal, which is an aftermarket LED. I recently replaced a resistor, so I don't know why it's throwing a code.

The other is for foglights. They are factory, so I don't know why they would throw a code. Fog Lamp Control Circuit High, if I'm reading it right. They haven't malfunctioned ever at all, so this is confusing...

I visited a couple websites of TIPM vendors, and they have a list of typical things that a failing TIPM might cause, and none of the above are listed. I have no transmission or engine codes, fyi.

Thoughts?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
If not battery, it's likely the ignition. Usually TIPM malfunctions happen because of a solder joint inside unit, it is a glorified fuse box. So many items makes TIPM unlikely., You can bypass ignition to verify, connect to cig relay if your are gonna try it.

OP
OP
J

JohnUSA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 Laramie
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Battery voltage was my very first thought. I checked the battery after sitting overnight, and it was at 12.5vdc. Starting up the engine, the alternator output was 14.2, as I recall. Turning off the engine, battery voltage had risen to 12.7vdc. This seemed to be on target.

OP
OP
J

JohnUSA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 Laramie
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If not battery, it's likely the ignition. Usually TIPM malfunctions happen because of a solder joint inside unit, it is a glorified fuse box. So many items makes TIPM unlikely., You can bypass ignition to verify, connect to cig relay if your are gonna try it.
Sorry, struggling to wrap my head around this one...

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Battery voltage was my very first thought. I checked the battery after sitting overnight, and it was at 12.5vdc. Starting up the engine, the alternator output was 14.2, as I recall. Turning off the engine, battery voltage had risen to 12.7vdc. This seemed to be on target.
How old is it? Voltage reading is different then capacity, and these hemi's take a lot of juice to start.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Usually these ignitions fail because they get dirty just from use and stray current. When does your dash board come on? With ignition, that allows you to see these codes and cel's. When win module goes out they tend to have sporadic issues like this. Bad battery connection, bad battery and ignition can all have similar symptoms.

OP
OP
J

JohnUSA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 Laramie
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I looked at the date sticker on top, and nobody marked it...I've owned the truck maybe 3 years? Might be a reasonable starting point, thanks.

OP
OP
J

JohnUSA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 Laramie
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Usually these ignitions fail because they get dirty just from use and stray current. When does your dash board come on? With ignition, that allows you to see these codes and cel's. When win module goes out they tend to have sporadic issues like this. Bad battery connection, bad battery and ignition can all have similar symptoms.
Randomly, sometimes when starting the vehicle, sometimes when driving. I had just left my daughters house and all of a sudden the parking brake light was on. I don't set the brake, but minor panic, reach down and grab the release just in case...today, driving around, all the lights came on and radio went off, with the wi-fi connection. I switched to bluetoooth, and I had radio, and then ten minutes later it went off. Hit a very hard railroad track, and music came back on. I thought...loose connections, but where...

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi

So that is how you bypass win module to cig replay, just as diagnose if not to set up second start button in case of win failure at some point, can hide under steering wheel.

So we can probably come to terms the battery would need changing soon anyhow, so even if new battery doesn't fix it you know everything you do from there is solid charge behind it, if it does fix it cool enjoy. Wire brush the isht out of connectors with new battery rule out bad ground with negative terminal. Then why not bypass win? Easy and cheap, easily reversible, is good to have as an option if you ever stranded bad ignition. So this entire plan is the cost of a battery and 20-30 bucks in wires. Something I'd do way before I threw a TIPM at it, if it were me.

OP
OP
J

JohnUSA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 Laramie
Engine
5.7 Hemi
All good stuff. It takes me back 40 years when I was helping my gf push her Corolla to jump start it cause the battery kept dying. Amazing what a good cleaning of battery terminals will do. Thank you for all the great feedback. Heading out right now to clean battery terminals, and see where things go.