Tips for fueling up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
W

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I'm not sure if this is the same outside of Canada, but most if not all pumps here are temperature compensating, so the temperature does not impact the actual amount of fuel you get (and they have a sticker indicating that volume is corrected to some temperature). On the other hand, if you fill right up on a hot day, it can expand in your tank and some will be forced out through the vent filter. Unless conditions are extreme though, and you completely top off your tank, I very much doubt a meaningful amount would ever be lost. Edit: I worded that poorly, technically the temperature could affect how much fuel you actually get, but the quantity and cost on the pump will be adjusted to compensate for any volume changes caused by temperature.
That's assuming the pumps have been calibrated and are still semi-accurate. The only time i see a calibration truck at a service station here in Alberta,is if there's been several complaints against said service station.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Similarly, when I handle A/C refrigerant on vehicles, e.g. I replace an engine in a car where I must discharge the A/C refrigerant during the mechanical work, if the ambient temperature is, say, 70 degrees, and I refill the system by weight, invariably, I have to revisit the system and add a small amount when our 100 degree days visit us.
Hydrocabons change properties due to temperature, and humidity.
I've always done as you advise, but I am in the business.
If your having to adjust the refrigerant charge based on outside air temperature, then the initial charge weight is either wrong or wasn't weighed in completely.
The outside ambient along with humidity should have no bearing on the amount that is weighed into the system. You might want to try pre-warming the tank over the ambient temperature and push an all liquid charge, this should stabilize the liquid more as it goes through the hoses. If your using pounds/ounces to weigh the charge, switch to grams as it's a finer unit of measure and what the auto manufacturers use.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Currently, here in Southern California
The top of an underground tank at a service station, is buried 5 feet below the Concrete.

When i am on a multi day trip, i fuel up at breakfast time, almost always at a Truck Stop.
That allows me to drive over 600 miles, but if i stop for a pit stop, i might fill up

El Cajon, Ca to the far East side of El Paso is 725 miles, that trip takes 10 hours & 30 minutes, without accidents or construction

Last edited:

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
Gas stations have underground storage tanks (USTs) almost 100% of the time. Way back, there were places with above ground tanks, but I haven't seen one in years.

The tank farms, where the trucks are loaded, are above ground. That's the reason for temperature compensation at the loading rack.

Exactly. It's nonsense to think the time of day effects the temperature in an underground tank.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L non-Etorque
Exactly. It's nonsense to think the time of day effects the temperature in an underground tank.
Agreed, as far as in-ground tanks go. There are still lots of fuel stops in my area with above ground fuel tanks. Mostly CFN stations. Those would definitely be affected by ambient temperatures.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I filled up this morning and used the first notch on the nozzle. Took forever to pump 30 gallons. :sleepy:
One of the perks of diesel fuel it doesn't evaporator like gasoline.
Also if your in a hurry just use the big truck pumps, they're 3 times faster than the regular retail pumps. hehehehe

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
Agreed, as far as in-ground tanks go. There are still lots of fuel stops in my area with above ground fuel tanks. Mostly CFN stations. Those would definitely be affected by ambient temperatures.

Above ground, absolutely.

I can't recall the last time I saw an above ground tank, though, outside of a farm co-op. They are legal here, but the reporting and compliance rules are pretty significantly increased. I suspect theft and the damage caused to the tank to facilitate it would also be major concerns.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L non-Etorque
One of the perks of diesel fuel it doesn't evaporator like gasoline.
Also if your in a hurry just use the big truck pumps, they're 3 times faster than the regular retail pumps. hehehehe
Those truck pumps move a lot of fuel for sure. I used to use them back when I had my '85 Chevy diesel. It had dual tanks and had a range of over 700 miles. I had a lot of good times in that truck LOL. That was back in the days when they used to put a full sized diesel engine in a half ton truck. Not a puny v6 with half the displacement.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
Those truck pumps move a lot of fuel for sure. I used to use them back when I had my '85 Chevy diesel. It had dual tanks and had a range of over 700 miles. I had a lot of good times in that truck LOL. That was back in the days when they used to put a full sized diesel engine in a half ton truck. Not a puny v6 with half the displacement.

Ah yes, the majestic power of the 6.2L Detroit Diesel. 130hp/240 ft-lb of torque.

A regular cab/step side 6.2L was the first diesel truck I ever drove. Just a test drive as it was *painfully* slow, even for the era.

OP
OP
W

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
And on what planet does the temp of fuel in an underground tank fluctuate by 30 degrees? I bet it's not 10% of that.
If the tank is below the frost line,(not very common in Western Canada),it's very stable between seasons,but if the tank is only 5 ft in the ground,there can be a fair change in fuel temps between summer and winter,especially if there's traffic over the tank

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L non-Etorque
If the tank is below the frost line,(not very common in Western Canada),it's very stable between seasons,but if the tank is only 5 ft in the ground,there can be a fair change in fuel temps between summer and winter,especially if there's traffic over the tank
That's true, but the recommendation talked about the difference between morning and afternoon temps, not summer and winter.

photoguynorth

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So that means we should really wait until February to fill up, not just fill up in the morning.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
So that means we should really wait until February to fill up, not just fill up in the morning.
Late Dec through till about mid March :waytogo: :Big Laugh:

Depends on the exact depth and how moist the soil is, but the deeper you go (until you hit the point of no change due to air temp) the longer the time delay between air temp and ground temp. 1 meter deep will probably lag 1-2 months behind air temp so if February is your coldest month, April-ish will be your coldest ground temp. 5m or so deep and you're looking at maybe 4-5 months. So your ground temp at depth could actually be colder in June then in January.