Tips for fueling up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
W

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Depends on the exact depth and how moist the soil is, but the deeper you go (until you hit the point of no change due to air temp) the longer the time delay between air temp and ground temp. 1 meter deep will probably lag 1-2 months behind air temp so if February is your coldest month, April-ish will be your coldest ground temp. 5m or so deep and you're looking at maybe 4-5 months. So your ground temp at depth could actually be colder in June then in January.
Show me a tank that's buried 16.5 ft in the ground :Big Laugh: It's not uncommon for the frost line to be about 8ft deep in western Canada,if there's traffic over an area,it'll go a bit deeper. Soil temps here start to warm up about mid march,with most of the frost gone by mid april at the latest.Farmers are usually planting by May

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
Show me a tank that's buried 16.5 ft in the ground :Big Laugh: It's not uncommon for the frost line to be about 8ft deep in western Canada,if there's traffic over an area,it'll go a bit deeper. Soil temps here start to warm up about mid march,with most of the frost gone by mid april at the latest.Farmers are usually planting by May

I was just talking about ground temp and the difference at depth, not indicating that's where a specific tank would be. I get frost lines and water table will alter the depth in any given area. That said, given a 10' diameter is a pretty common tank size, I don't think it would be terribly uncommon for the bottom of the tank to be in the 13-15' range in many areas. It'd have to be sufficiently deep to avoid freezing to avoid gelling in diesel or freezing in water separators, I would think.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
And on what planet does the temp of fuel in an underground tank fluctuate by 30 degrees? I bet it's not 10% of that.
I never suggested an underground fuel storage tank would have a temperature swing of any degree. I doubt the fuel in an underground tank would experience any significant temperature change throughout the year. My example was in the context of a vehicle. In my climate, I've left for work with temperatures in the 30s and 40s and drove home with temperatures in the 70s and 80s, not unusual in the spring/fall transition periods.

I don't know what the temperature change would be with the fuel in the truck's tank but it was a simple example to demonstrate how the fuel's volume change can affect calculations of MPG.

photoguynorth

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Depends on the exact depth and how moist the soil is, but the deeper you go (until you hit the point of no change due to air temp) the longer the time delay between air temp and ground temp. 1 meter deep will probably lag 1-2 months behind air temp so if February is your coldest month, April-ish will be your coldest ground temp. 5m or so deep and you're looking at maybe 4-5 months. So your ground temp at depth could actually be colder in June then in January.
Not good. I know I will run out of gas before April!

alex6666

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 slt
Engine
Somewhat related i recently heard that it was beneficial to keep your tank between half and full all the time as the fuel pump uses the gas to reduce operating temperature of the fuel tank. When run less than full the fuel pump operates at a higher temperature reducing the life of the pump. Back in the 70s i worked at a car dealership and saw what was in the bottom of a gas tank after a few years.....never ran my car low after that.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I never suggested an underground fuel storage tank would have a temperature swing of any degree.
I must be missing something.... if the temp in the storage tank isn't fluctuating, what's the point of the advice to fill up in the morning when it's cool?

BenchTest

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
TIPS ON PUMPING GAS
I don't know what you guys are paying for gasoline.... My line of work is in petroleum for about 31 years now, so here are some tricks to get more of your money's worth for every gallon:
Here at the Kinder Morgan Pipeline where I work in San Jose , CA we deliver about 4 million gallons in a 24-hour period thru the pipeline.. One day is diesel the next day is jet fuel, and gasoline, regular and premium grades. We have 34-storage tanks here with a total capacity of 16,800,000 gallons.
View attachment 545782 Only buy or fill up your car or truck in the early morning when the ground temperature is still cold. Remember that all service stations have their storage tanks buried below ground. The colder the ground the more dense the gasoline, when it gets warmer gasoline expands, so buying in the afternoon or in the evening....your gallon is not exactly a gallon. In the petroleum business, the specific gravity and the temperature of the gasoline, diesel and jet fuel, ethanol and other petroleum products plays an important role.
A 1-degree rise in temperature is a big deal for this business. But the service stations do not have temperature compensation at the pumps.
View attachment 545783 When you're filling up do not squeeze the trigger of the nozzle to a fast mode If you look you will see that the trigger has three (3) stages: low, middle, and high. You should be pumping on low mode, thereby minimizing the vapors that are created while you are pumping. All hoses at the pump have a vapor return. If you are pumping on the fast rate, some of the liquid that goes to your tank becomes vapor. Those vapors are being sucked up and back into the underground storage tank so you're getting less worth for your money.
View attachment 545784 One of the most important tips is to fill up when your gas tank is HALF FULL. The reason for this is the more gas you have in your tank the less air occupying its empty space. Gasoline evaporates faster than you can imagine. Gasoline storage tanks have an internal floating roof. This roof serves as zero clearance between the gas and the atmosphere, so it minimizes the evaporation. Unlike service stations, here where I work, every truck that we load is temperature compensated so that every gallon is actually the exact amount.
View attachment 545785 Another reminder, if there is a gasoline truck pumping into the storage tanks when you stop to buy gas, DO NOT fill up; most likely the gasoline is being stirred up as the gas is being delivered, and you might pick up some of the dirt that normally settles on the bottom.
There are some inaccuracies in your statements. I'm not trying to start a debate, merely pointing out that some of this info is not correct. "All hoses at the pump have a vapor return" - More often than not, there is no Stage II (point of vehicle fueling) vapor reclaiming taking place. Stage I Vapor Recovery being point of fuel delivery by a tanker. Fuel is metered at the point of dispensing on every single product type (gasoline all grades, diesel all grades). The federal national standard is in effect for these meters and monitored at a state level via calibration checks (either in lottery format or annual requirements). Fuel is metered within "normal operating temperatures" to maintain a percentage accuracy of delivered product to consumer. In locations where it's exceptionally cold, ATC is taking place (automatic temp compensation). Also, if a station is A) built properly, and B) in good operational repair, buying fuel during a delivery is a non-issue. The drop tubes installed in the fuel drop locations are positioned as such as to divert dropped fuel from a tanker, away from the inlet of the STP (submerged turbine pump that moves fuel from the UST (underground storage tank) to prevent "stirring up" the debris that may be present in the tank and sending it into the delivery line to the dispensers. In the event debris does get picked up during a simultaneous product drop-customer buying fuel, there are filters in place on every single dispensed product to prevent that from going into the consumer's vehicle (10 micron on gasoline products, 30 micron on diesel). Again, that's if things are operating at standards/maintained.

BenchTest

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Another reason to not fill your fuel tank while a tanker is pumping fuel into the tanks at a Service Station.....

Unfortunately, the truck drivers screw up sometimes

The wrong Product is pumped into the wrong Tank.
If you are lucky, the truck driver pumps Premium gas into the Regular Tank, that is what a truck driver friend of mine did, on his last day of hauling fuel. He went back to hauling Dry Goods.

What if his mistake was a diesel/gasoline mistake
They would likely discover the mistake as soon as he called in, before leaving for the next station.

There would be pandamonium & crying customers
I've worked several incidents where diesel was dropped to unleaded and vice-versa. It's quite a mess. Requires quite a bit of recovery effort. I've seen new Volvo tractors flatlined leaving the fuel centers, school buses die, the list goes on. There was even an incident where the product was steered incorrectly at the loading rack and the driver picked up the wrong product, but delivered it to the "right tank" on arrival. He unknowingly dropped gasoline into a diesel tank at a truck stop. 7 dead tractors later.... What a mess.

BenchTest

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
A filter is only as good as it's maintence,and whens the last time you've seen a servicable filter on the gas pump being replaced. I know if the tanker is there filling the tanks,i try to wait at least 24 hours for the majority of contaments to settle out of suspension. When you figure the majority of vehicles on the road now a days don't employ a replacable fuel filter anymore,at most they might have a coarse sock on the bottom of the fuel pump,why risk the chance of pumping your tank full of dirty fuel
It's standard routine maintenance for dispenser filters to be replaced either "for cause" (slow flow, phase separation restriction) or by through-put requirements (predetermined X amount of gallons dispensed). All national brands have a filter regimen of date/gallon replacement. Mom and pops typically replace filters "for cause" - that cause being slow flow. It's cost-prohibitive for them to change them based on through-put as a technician hourly charge, travel time, and per-filter cost is high. Managed Maintenance Programs (MMP's) are in place with national brands to combat this high cost. They negotiate a fixed-cost MMP to save hundreds of thousands (maybe millions) across their footprint.

BenchTest

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Food for thought...If a filter clogs, it won't flow fuel. It will flow fuel if it's damaged, but it won't stop filtering if it clogs...It's just stop flowing.
To clarify - a standard dispenser filter will continue to dispense fuel, at a noticeably decreased flow rate, when the filter is "clogged". When the filter media reaches it's maximum holding, it will bypass the media and flow at a significantly slower rate, indicating the need for service. Only a check-ball type filter will completely stop the flow. Those are typically not seen in service any longer as they are expensive and interrupt commerce quite regularly. Those filters utilized a check-ball "glued" to the bottom of the media cavity that reacted to the presence of water. When water became present, the "glue" lost adhesion and sent the ball into the flow path of the filter, blocking the discharge port and stopping the fuel flow. Water alert filters use a corn starch type media that reacts with the presence of water, swelling the pores of the filter media, dramatically reducing fuel flow, indicating the need for service.

BenchTest

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm not sure if this is the same outside of Canada, but most if not all pumps here are temperature compensating, so the temperature does not impact the actual amount of fuel you get (and they have a sticker indicating that volume is corrected to some temperature). On the other hand, if you fill right up on a hot day, it can expand in your tank and some will be forced out through the vent filter. Unless conditions are extreme though, and you completely top off your tank, I very much doubt a meaningful amount would ever be lost. Edit: I worded that poorly, technically the temperature could affect how much fuel you actually get, but the quantity and cost on the pump will be adjusted to compensate for any volume changes caused by temperature.
Canada has set the "standard" for ATC in fuel dispensers. Most manufacturers Beta test their equipment in Canada for ATC testing/proving. Once they prove accuracy and reliability, that equipment is dispersed globally where ATC is needed.

BenchTest

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Gas stations have underground storage tanks (USTs) almost 100% of the time. Way back, there were places with above ground tanks, but I haven't seen one in years.

The tank farms, where the trucks are loaded, are above ground. That's the reason for temperature compensation at the loading rack.

If a pump is pumping slow, it probably has a clogged up filter.

I drove a gas tanker for a while, and also owned a gas station.

I changed my filters religiously, and also checked my dispensers regularly with a certified metered can that would show if 5 gallons was actually pumped when the pump said 5 gallons.

I also made a roll around pump from an old gas pump. I used this to pump out the very bottoms of my underground storage tanks. This ensured a clean tank and gas.

I had competition, and did all I could to insure the customers had a good experience with my gas, Including keeping the dispensers clean and freshly painted.

Most of the water and sludge in an underground tank will come from the truck delivering gas, which they get from the tank farm.

If a pipeline delivery doesn't settle in the large tank farm tanks long enough, the contamination from the pipeline will move to the truck and to the end user.

I've had it happen to me several times. I've opened the top hatches and seen almost black diesel fuel loaded onto my truck. This was years ago, so the process may have improved since then, hopefully.
Thanks for your post. So far in this thread, you've made the most sense. I built, maintained, retrofitted, etc fueling systems, C-Stores, fueling facilities for major national brands, military bases, municipalities, the list goes on. I did the Point of Sale, line/tank install, fuel leak detection/monitoring, automated ordering systems, line/tank testing, environmental compliance, blah, blah, BLAH for a LOT of years. To your point - the Seraphin can :) 5 gallon "prover can". +/- 3ci on 5 gallons delivered was the corrected standard, +/- 6ci on 5 gallons delivered are the allowable tolerances (federally). Then you can go into aggregate total variances to make this more complicated, but the point is, your post is legit. Thanks.

BenchTest

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That's assuming the pumps have been calibrated and are still semi-accurate. The only time i see a calibration truck at a service station here in Alberta,is if there's been several complaints against said service station.
I can't speak for Canada, but in the U.S. most stations are required to be proved yearly. Some states utilize a lottery system and their site goes into a "drawing" and has the potential to be audited once in every two years or three years. States are required to investigate a complaint from a consumer...e.g. "My car only holds 12 gallons and this thing charged me for 14 gallons". In the old days it was a known thing that dealer stations (leased or privately held gas stations) would get their calibration certs in place for each meter, then go crank the wheels down and short-dispense to consumers after the calibration paperwork was filed. They'd cheat the consumer a little bit on each transaction and make a few more bucks. Can't do that now with meters being digitally monitored/calibrated.

BenchTest

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Above ground, absolutely.

I can't recall the last time I saw an above ground tank, though, outside of a farm co-op. They are legal here, but the reporting and compliance rules are pretty significantly increased. I suspect theft and the damage caused to the tank to facilitate it would also be major concerns.
They are a heck of a lot easier to inspect for fuel leaks, lol. I've inspected enough sites to know that you can pretty much tell by the customer on the paperwork if it'll be AST or UST when you arrive. The AST's aren't prone to underground water intrusion like the UST's (ground water is a constant issue with UST's), piping is easy to inspect, the monitoring equipment requirements are way less. There are some advantages, but having a BIG tank sitting around has it's hindrances as well.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
I must be missing something.... if the temp in the storage tank isn't fluctuating, what's the point of the advice to fill up in the morning when it's cool?

There is no point. It's nonsensical advice.

bm02tj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The under ground tanks do not vary much but the delivery piping and pumps are above ground
I try to fuel in the morning and I use the fast fill
Most Canadian pumps are corrected to 15C so colder you get more and hotter less

OP
OP
W

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
There's a whole lot of assuming going on in this thread,especially about pump maintence,and accuracy. The 1 thing i think we can all agree on,is following these tips isn't going to be determental to your fueling costs,especially when factored over several years.In other words you're not going to be costing yourself money by following these tips.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
There's a whole lot of assuming going on in this thread,especially about pump maintence,and accuracy. The 1 thing i think we can all agree on,is following these tips isn't going to be determental to your fueling costs,especially when factored over several years.In other words you're not going to be costing yourself money by following these tips.

What's pump accuracy got to do with time of day or how fast you fill up? Accuracy is going to be samey-same regardless on a given pump, is it not?

I don't see how you save money by stopping more often to fuel because you fuel at half a tank vs 1/4. I guess if it's convenient for you to fuel in the morning or at night it's no different, but would you make a special trip or go out of your way for it? I don't see it saving money either way but costing money if you end up driving more to do it.

Personally, I fuel when I need to at whatever top tier gas station is convenient*. I've never had a problem with a fuel filter *ever*. If I waste a few teaspoons of gas over 40 years, I'm driving sports cars way too fast and trucks way too big to care about it. I use my credit card to get the equivalent of 2% back (or more at Shell) for my personal vehicles and use Upside to get a variable amount of money back per gallon if it's the station I'm going to anyway. With my fleet card and work vehicle that means I get paid to get gas since my employer pays for the gas but I get the Upside reward. I "make" about $20 a month from the app and could do better if I was willing to go out of my way in slightest for higher rewards. I don't know if it works in Canada, but if anybody wants a referral code just PM me. It's not much money, but it's free for just clicking a button a few times to pick a gas station and then say you've paid.

*Unless there's a Buc-ee's. Then I'm going to Buc-ee's come hell or high water. It's the most bestest gas station anywhere ever.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I wasn't offering any advice, I simply presented an example. The temperature change of the fuel in the truck's fuel tank. It was just an example and not necessarily a real-world example of when one would fill their tank and how much fuel was in the tank before a fill-up.