Tire and Wheel Size and Preference

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doug Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco Diesel _3.0
OK folks, I know this has probably been asked a million times, but pardon my stupidity.

I have on order a truck that is going to be delivered around February 12. Its a a Ram Big Horn 1500 short cab EcoDiesel that's going to spend its life pulling docks out of the water and yanking a 22 foot camper or a 19 foot boat around for the next 10-15 years (hopefully). I have the option to swap out the stock 18 inch aluminum alloy wheels and tires. For free.

Given this is going to be doing 90% on the road, probably about 70% of the time towing. As equipped the tow rating is about 10,000, and the cargo capacity is about 1800#.

Why would I want different wheels and tires than what FCA provides? What are the alternatives and pros and cons? This is a serious question, I've heard that low profile tires give more control, but ride rougher, Is that all?

Thanks!

DRkNESS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I say stick with those 18” wheels and pair that with a A/T tire sized 275/70.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
OEM wheels are generally better quality than aftermarket. The tires that come on it will have the best ride quality usually, but probably not long life.

Lower profile will ride stiffer due to less sidewall cushion. Yeah, you’ll get some increased responsiveness because the sidewall cushion also absorbs some steering input. On a Miata that might be a big deal, on a truck not so much.

Wider will increase rut tracking on bad roads and hydroplane more easily.

I wouldn’t change a thing.

muddy12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If I am mostly on road, why do I need an All Terrain (?) tire?

Even if you never have to deal with bad rod conditions, an all terrain tire will give you much better traction on a wet, slippery boat ramp.
Just a thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Truck Fun

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I think 18 inch wheels would be an ideal size. Large enough for decent size tires yet without having to deal with the low profile tires on larger rims.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L non-Etorque
OK folks, I know this has probably been asked a million times, but pardon my stupidity.

I have on order a truck that is going to be delivered around February 12. Its a a Ram Big Horn 1500 short cab EcoDiesel that's going to spend its life pulling docks out of the water and yanking a 22 foot camper or a 19 foot boat around for the next 10-15 years (hopefully). I have the option to swap out the stock 18 inch aluminum alloy wheels and tires. For free.

Given this is going to be doing 90% on the road, probably about 70% of the time towing. As equipped the tow rating is about 10,000, and the cargo capacity is about 1800#.

Why would I want different wheels and tires than what FCA provides? What are the alternatives and pros and cons? This is a serious question, I've heard that low profile tires give more control, but ride rougher, Is that all?

Thanks!
Who is doing the swapping of tires/wheels, and what are they offering to replace them with? Most of the stock tires that these trucks come with are decent at best. They ride smooth, but wear out quickly and lack wet and/or snow traction. The exceptions in my opinion are the Falken AT tires that come with the ORG, and the Goodyear AT tires that come with the Rebel.

OP
OP
Doug Ram

Doug Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco Diesel _3.0
Truck arrived yesterday -- on the first day of the two week delivery window that they gave me. Go figure. I will be sticking with the OEM all season LRR 275/65R18 tires. I may get snow tires for next winter, depending on how bad these prove to be in snow. We live in deep snow country at the end of a steep town (meaning usually plowed) road. But since we are planning to go to south Texas for late February and March, no snow tires this year. Took it for a ride yesterday, more than 50 miles in town and city driving. Computer tells me that the car averaged 25 MPG. That's a number I've not seen in any of my previous pickup or SUVs.

LugsLeadOut84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
If I am mostly on road, why do I need an All Terrain (?) tire?

Won't pulling a boat and trailer place you in conditions that are off-pavement? We're not talking oversized Mud tires - but one's designed for "all terrains". Passenger tires should not be on a truck if you'll be using it as a truck, in my opinion.