Tire Marking Pen

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Moparfanatic21

U.S. Marine Vet - 0321, Now a Doctor...of Vehicles
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have 40in tires on my trucks (Milestar and LOVE them. Unfortunately you can't get then with raised white letters, even when I install my new 47s can't get them. So I looked around for them tire stickers, and found a place that said they will make custom ones fire sent brand tire. Most other companies make them for car tires or drag tires. They emailed me back after looking at my pics of the lettering and said they can't. So I decided to try the Tire Marking Pen on my 2nd gen as its the guinea pig. Here are the results and they turned out alright have to give them the 3rd coat tomorrow. I will say I am a painter and a critical paramedic (does emergency surgeries) and it was difficult to get a good "layer" of paint.

I will follow up with how this works periodically before I do it to my other trucks (2 4th gens). Figured maybe some guys are like me and want raised white letter tires but can't get them.

Snapchat-2070895573.jpg

20200308_172934.jpg

Snapchat-1873875022.jpg

OP
OP
M

Moparfanatic21

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Forgot to mention it does require a 12 hour dry time and I get about one tire done a day, so it will be a while before i road test it :).

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yeah, I'd like to hear how it lasts. If you can keep off curbs, and things that would rub/abrade the sides, should last a while I would think

Dave2018

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018,Previous 1998
Engine
3.6L,Previous 5.9L
Please update us on your satisfaction. I want to do this to my stock blackwalls too. Just wasn't convinced of the longevity. RWL looks so much better IMHO.

Paulcakman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi- Just wanted to share pics of my 2019 Rebel. I found myself with a lot of time during the quarantine (Covid 19)- so I did my tires... I used a Sharpie Oil Based Paint Pen (white, red and black).

I initially just did the outline of the raised letters in white...Then I filled in the "Good Year" in white....and thought the "Good Year" just didnt look "finished" so I outlined the raised rim of the letter in black. I left the "Wrangler" just outlined in white.

I filled in the little logo with red (which kind of came out in an bright orange/red rose look-which I really like-it matches the Ram Rebel's Red interior). I left the outline of the logo in white for contrast.

OK-- so here are my impressions.

Its very bright! vibrant white- very satisfied and what I was looking for!
It took about 1 to 2 white pens PER tire- 2 to 3 coats....
2 Black pens for all 4 tires
1 red pen did all the logos with plenty left over.

It took about an 1 1/2 hours per tire- per day over the course of two days. Yup--2 days....Thats about 10 hours total. Make sure you have the time to devote to this and allow 24 hours of drying time after the first coat. Its an oil based paint, and it may look and feel dry to the touch after an hour, but it needs to soak into the tire and completely dry-otherwise you WILL smear it if you try to put more coats on before its time.

VERY IMPORTANT-

You absolutely MUST make sure the tire letters etc are completely clean and free of any residue or tire shine etc. Otherwise- it will look like a third grade art project gone wrong...Any leftover tire shine on the tire will serve as a barrier between the oil based paint and the rubber- and the paint pen will NEVER dry or soak into the tire.

The night before, I washed the tires and then scrubbed the letters with acetone and let it dry overnight.

Learning to use the Paint Pen the right way is key. You don't draw with it. You need to blot it on something to get the paint flowing and then kind of blot and drag...slowly and surely is the way to go here. Keeping the pen vertical helps too.

For the first coat. Patience is key here. It doesn't look good with the first coat! DONT PANIC. Just get a general coating on and let it dry OVERNIGHT. The next day with the second coat it goes on clean and smooth, fills in all the spots you missed and looks great.

Another thing--this is important too!-- as I have scoured the internet about whether you should take the tires off or leave them on.

Here's the deal. It will be incredibly more easy to do this with the tires off. However, if you do that, when you put them back on- and the weight of the vehicle naturally makes them expand as well as when they warm up-- the paint WILL crack.

Its best to leave the tires on and paint them while the tire is expanded with the weight of the vehicle. Yes, this is more difficult, but believe me , the end result will be great.

Anyway- It been about a week- no cracks, no runs....Tire 1.jpg Vehicle 1.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Moparfanatic21

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So far the tires have lasted even off road. There tire making pens are junk. It turned yellowish brown just sitting in my driveway. The back tires (and redid the front) with a plain Jane paint pen. Have lasted with everything I could throw at it

OP
OP
M

Moparfanatic21

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Please update us on your satisfaction. I want to do this to my stock blackwalls too. Just wasn't convinced of the longevity. RWL looks so much better IMHO.
Just did :)

CUAviator

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hi- Just wanted to share pics of my 2019 Rebel. I found myself with a lot of time during the quarantine (Covid 19)- so I did my tires... I used a Sharpie Oil Based Paint Pen (white, red and black).

I initially just did the outline of the raised letters in white...Then I filled in the "Good Year" in white....and thought the "Good Year" just didnt look "finished" so I outlined the raised rim of the letter in black. I left the "Wrangler" just outlined in white.

I filled in the little logo with red (which kind of came out in an bright orange/red rose look-which I really like-it matches the Ram Rebel's Red interior). I left the outline of the logo in white for contrast.

OK-- so here are my impressions.

Its very bright! vibrant white- very satisfied and what I was looking for!
It took about 1 to 2 white pens PER tire- 2 to 3 coats....
2 Black pens for all 4 tires
1 red pen did all the logos with plenty left over.

It took about an 1 1/2 hours per tire- per day over the course of two days. Yup--2 days....Thats about 10 hours total. Make sure you have the time to devote to this and allow 24 hours of drying time after the first coat. Its an oil based paint, and it may look and feel dry to the touch after an hour, but it needs to soak into the tire and completely dry-otherwise you WILL smear it if you try to put more coats on before its time.

VERY IMPORTANT-

You absolutely MUST make sure the tire letters etc are completely clean and free of any residue or tire shine etc. Otherwise- it will look like a third grade art project gone wrong...Any leftover tire shine on the tire will serve as a barrier between the oil based paint and the rubber- and the paint pen will NEVER dry or soak into the tire.

The night before, I washed the tires and then scrubbed the letters with acetone and let it dry overnight.

Learning to use the Paint Pen the right way is key. You don't draw with it. You need to blot it on something to get the paint flowing and then kind of blot and drag...slowly and surely is the way to go here. Keeping the pen vertical helps too.

For the first coat. Patience is key here. It doesn't look good with the first coat! DONT PANIC. Just get a general coating on and let it dry OVERNIGHT. The next day with the second coat it goes on clean and smooth, fills in all the spots you missed and looks great.

Another thing--this is important too!-- as I have scoured the internet about whether you should take the tires off or leave them on.

Here's the deal. It will be incredibly more easy to do this with the tires off. However, if you do that, when you put them back on- and the weight of the vehicle naturally makes them expand as well as when they warm up-- the paint WILL crack.

Its best to leave the tires on and paint them while the tire is expanded with the weight of the vehicle. Yes, this is more difficult, but believe me , the end result will be great.

Anyway- It been about a week- no cracks, no runs....View attachment 204373 View attachment 204374
Any update on how the white letters are faring - color, durability, etc?

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I purposely go blackwall out whenever I get new tires because they just get scraped up while hunting, fishing our just plain off-roading.

iXHPyQDm.jpg
iIXXJNVm.jpg

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I go white letters out and use blechwhite if I need to bring the white back. I like the idea of paint pens, I guess lack the caring these days past cleaning them. But looks good.