Tonneau cover or topper?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fake-Account27

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
I currently have a budget friendly Fleer vinyl cover, which while cheep, keeps out 100% of all water in all conditions.

I bought a paragon cover, which did not do well keeping out water so I returned it.

JayLeonard

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 L Cummins
I have a tri fold toneau cover. It works for what I need it for. Keeps things dry when it's new, after about 4 years they start to leak a little around the corners, etc. Not bad enough to necessarily replace. I had one on my 05 for 12 years and it was still usable when I sold the truck.
Plus they are very easy to just fold back for most loads such as lumber etc, and can be easily removed in a few minutes if I need the whole bed open.
I've also had caps in the past on different trucks, but I like the tri fold better.
Every option has pluses and minuses.

Halligan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I'm using a locking Retrax cover that's made of aluminum slats that roll up as you open in. It's pretty heavy duty and more secure than a vinyl cover but anything can be forced open if someone is determined to steal your stuff.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have an ARE fiberglass hard tonneau cover. Dry and secure.

As a plus, no one asks to haul stuff or move because they think that it is not removable.
It would be a pain for sure - I also second a trailer.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I currently have a Bakflip G2

when i was 75 i could lift it off & put it back on, i have not tried to remove it in the last 2 years

It stays locked until the tailgate is opened

If you look at the image with the box in the bed, notice the Bakflip G2 is leaning against the window, it has rubber bumpers just for doing that

rZFx1B.jpg

X3p8DD.jpg

W1p1Cr.jpg

I don't worry about someone breaking in too much

rtktdx.jpg

OACmaq.jpg

boblonben

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have never owned a truck (just large SUVs) but my dad has always had a truck with a canopy on it. Makes it nice to keep stuff in it locked up and dry but I could never borrow it to get loads of dirt or anything with that on it. Anyways, I likely won't get a canopy when I get a new truck but was wondering how people utilize their beds for hauling stuff that would normally go in the trunk or back of an SUV. Like, what about going to the grocery story? Or going on a trip, what do you do with the suitcases to keep them safe and dry? Do most people have a locking tonneau cover or what? It seems like I don't see that many trucks with canopies.
tri-fold toneau cover. best user friendly deal around. easy on/off, get full use of bed and 5 minutes to remove or put back on. best product out there actually.

penguinphan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V8
I have the RetraxPro MX on mine and I love it. I installed it on my 2015 Ram and just took it with me when I traded up for the 2018 (dealer offered me $100 for it in the trade). It's pretty secure when the tailgate is locked.

IMG_0013.jpeg IMG_0012.jpeg IMG_0009.jpeg

jimboschnitz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I had a roll top on my 2016 and liked it for it's versatility but it's not secure. I put a heavy duty trifold on my 2020 and it is secure. It can't be opened unless the locked tailgate is open. Like KeithP said, this trifold claims it will support up to 500# which I will never test. I bought because I do haul stuff in the bed periodically and it is very easy to fold to the forward position. Good luck with your decision.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
My son had a hard shell fiberglass cover that was pried open in his apartment parking lot and his professional Wright Tool Kit stolen. I still say it's safer in the cab out of sight. Yes, I know they can smash and grab thru the windows but that makes a lot of noise too.

slam 425

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7 e-torque
Bakflip MX4 fiberglass tri-fold keeps stuff dry and secure can’t open when tailgate is closed. Folds up and leans (with small rods) against the back of the cab for hauling larger items. Easy to install and remove if necessary. About 900-1000$ so definitely not cheap

Yarek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V10 magnum
I use my truck for camping a lot and I went with a camper shell: the tall kind, that is taller than the cab. I searched craigslist for about 5 weeks before I found the proper color and length. Snatched it for $250. Only needed a new lock and a little TLC. Most items fit fine with the extra height.

I agree about not keeping anything of value in there. I don't keep anything of value in the truck itself, either. The stuff I need is in crates that I can load in quickly.

Greg C

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I have never owned a truck (just large SUVs) but my dad has always had a truck with a canopy on it. Makes it nice to keep stuff in it locked up and dry but I could never borrow it to get loads of dirt or anything with that on it. Anyways, I likely won't get a canopy when I get a new truck but was wondering how people utilize their beds for hauling stuff that would normally go in the trunk or back of an SUV. Like, what about going to the grocery story? Or going on a trip, what do you do with the suitcases to keep them safe and dry? Do most people have a locking tonneau cover or what? It seems like I don't see that many trucks with canopies.

Rick Gabler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V-6
I have a tri fold cover. Really easy to put on (and I’m a lame ass with that kind of thing). Looks great. However, I do get small amounts of water going through a car wash or a rain storm. Normally in the back by the tailgate. I followed the directions, so I believe it’s installed correctly. However, I only paid $300 for it, so the quality of the seal may not be as good as others. Doesn’t matter though, a little water doesn’t hurt anything. Just wipe it down and the bed and gate is clean!

Fatbob Frank

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
I have a topper on my Laramie and it's nice but kind of limiting on what you can haul.
I opted for a Tri-fold on my P.W.
The Rambox model was pretty spendy...

dwade

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I bought my Tradesmen with the tool box / hard cover on it (for an 8' bed). I like it but for me to use my truck around the farm I need to take it off and sell it. 158346c94eb164314514d69523ee5ad1.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Sportznut

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have had 3 types.

1. Ultra Flex Tri Fold
2. 1 piece UniCover
3. Leer Canopy Shell

Each has pros & cons.

I prefer the tri fold.
Much more flexibility regardless of the load.

Stuff is out of sight.

Can open tailgate at any time.

Tailgate locks.

Better vision vs shell.

*Preferred the shell when I had a dog.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Mguns

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had a fiberglass cover on my last Dakota, it worked well but I was too lazy to take if off to haul bigger loads. On my current Ram, I installed a soft tonneau cover and I love it. It rolls up or down in less than a minute and when rolled up, provides a buffer between the cab and items loaded in the back. Also when rolled up, it does not obstruct the view through the rear view mirror. Much easier to work with than some other options. It doesn't lock itself but you have to lower the tailgate to open it, and it has been 100% waterproof. Hope whichever way you go, it works out well.

BigUnit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Words of caution. If you purchase or have already purchased a 2021 with with the new rear view mirror camera, you most likely will not find a topper that fits. The cab light camera combo protrudes out from the back of the cab far enough that the toppers hit. I have checked the three major manufacturers in my area and they all said that they will not fit. I had to settle for a fiberglass lid.

Sten Hauge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins I6
I've been extremely happy with my Softopper. Waterproof and folds down if I'm carrying anything tall and completely removes in less than 2 minutes. No help is needed to remove it and all the sides can roll up and make it Safari style. The only downside is it's not as secure as a fiberglass one. The rear window can be opened with the 2 zippers... or a knife can open it anywhere.

IMG_0402.jpg

IMG_0403.jpg

IMG_3949.jpg

Bdunn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I put a Diamondback on my 2020 PW. Rock solid, secure, dry, and looks great.