Traded my 2500 for 3500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vasi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Diesel
In 2020, I purchased a ram 2500 with a HEMI 6.4.

Last week, I Purchased it a fifth wheel trailer. I decided that I wanted my tow vehicle to have a diesel engine, so, I Purchased, a ram 3500 with a 6.7 diesel. I search for a limited long horn, because I wanted the brown and black interior, however, I did not find one, so I was ready to settle for something else, knowing I will be disappointed. I got up about 3 o’clock one morning and looked again and there it was. I 2022 Limited longhorn in pearl white, which was exactly what I was looking for. Until that morning, I have never seen one in pearl white.

It has a couple of issues that I will bring up in a different post

IMG_2350.jpeg

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I'm a big fan of the Longhorn trim, I love the warm feeling of the interior with the wood accents and colors (not everyone's cup of tea). My 2022 has the brow/black and my 2015 is brown with light color piping. I'm not into the filigree designs on the seats, fortunately, RAM allowed us to eliminate the filigree.

What they did to the color of the 2025 Longhorn interior is, in my opinion, criminal. They also did wrong to the Limited, the Tunston inherited the Limited's interior color. They did it to make room for their Tungsten trim level.

OP
OP
vasi

vasi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Diesel
I agree! Longhorn. Seems like it was intended to be a cowboy truck and they did a great job designing it. I like the pattern design around the gauges and the buckles on the back of the seats.

The brown and brown interior is awful. I think the reason is that there’s not enough contrast.

I bought the truck in Denver, and on Saturday I drove from St. George to Denver to pick it up. It was a 631 mile drive. After I purchased the truck, I drove to Colorado Springs to see the rodeo Hall of Fame. I am sponsored to photograph rodeo so I was interested.

I felt like a new driver, I was not quite used to the truck yet and driving in unfamiliar areas with lotta traffic. I had to pay attention.

I am now in Grand Junction, Colorado, and I’m going to have two things done here. First, I’m going to have the tent on the side windows removed. It’s bad enough during the day but at night is dangerous.

I am also going to try to get wider mudflaps. Because, as you may have noticed, the tires are wider than stock.

Papa Red

Papa Red
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Nice looking truck! You may want to consider some kind of running boards. I have the factory installed wheel to wheel ones and so glad I have them. Enjoy your ride home.

Red

OP
OP
vasi

vasi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Diesel
The truck came with runningboards that retract when the door is closed. Are used mounted so they are deployed all the time? I thought about getting some like that.

miketx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm puzzled that you don't like the window tint. I live in Texas and it's almost a requirement due to the sun/heat here, and it's never hampered my view at night. This is the legal 15% tint. I've never NOT had tinting on my cars/trucks for almost 40 years. We just got a new 24 Rebel 2500, and it's going in for tint this week (front windows...back windows already have tint built-in).

KKBB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm puzzled that you don't like the window tint. I live in Texas and it's almost a requirement due to the sun/heat here, and it's never hampered my view at night. This is the legal 15% tint. I've never NOT had tinting on my cars/trucks for almost 40 years. We just got a new 24 Rebel 2500, and it's going in for tint this week (front windows...back windows already have tint built-in).
I agree. I live in Iowa where it's illegal to have tint on the front side windows, but I had to put tint on my 2019 2500 just because of the iffy AC it has. It has helped quite a bit to keep the truck cooler. None of the local cops care about the tint around here. The state patrol might give me a ticket for it if they pulled me over, but they are rarely seen in my area anyway, so I did it a year ago and haven't looked back.

miketx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Any tint is illegal in Iowa? That's just plain nuts. But who am I to talk....we have plenty of stupid laws in Texas.

oe542bob

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi eTorque 5.7
Does the truck have the Aisin transmission or the 68RFE? 2022’s with the Aisin have/had a problem with some snap ring causing transmission failure.

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
That's what mine is: Pearl White Laramie Longhorn only with the 6.4 Hemi.

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
Deleted

TRK_GANG74

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The tint on the back passenger windows is just dyed glass. It does nothing for rejecting heat or IR. I had a tint shop to add ceramic tint to all of my windows and moonroof including clear ceramic to the windshield.

KKBB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Any tint is illegal in Iowa? That's just plain nuts. But who am I to talk....we have plenty of stupid laws in Texas.
Yep. Whatever the vehicles come with factory, which is basically nothing...that's all Iowa allows. Pretty stupid.

stevenP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 2500 Longhorn
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Man that is 22 feet of towing machine there. All of my tow vehicles for my various fifth wheels have been diesel, except for one. I cant say enough about the exhaust braking feature while towing. It is a life saver. My 22 gets around 20% better mileage than my previous Gen4 truck did, including when towing. Big fan of the long horn trim as well!

miketx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The tint on the back passenger windows is just dyed glass. It does nothing for rejecting heat or IR. I had a tint shop to add ceramic tint to all of my windows and moonroof including clear ceramic to the windshield.
Interesting...I didn't know that. Either way, seems baffling that Iowa or other states would ban tint when the back glass is dyed.

truck2569

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I agree! Longhorn. Seems like it was intended to be a cowboy truck and they did a great job designing it. I like the pattern design around the gauges and the buckles on the back of the seats.

The brown and brown interior is awful. I think the reason is that there’s not enough contrast.

I bought the truck in Denver, and on Saturday I drove from St. George to Denver to pick it up. It was a 631 mile drive. After I purchased the truck, I drove to Colorado Springs to see the rodeo Hall of Fame. I am sponsored to photograph rodeo so I was interested.

I felt like a new driver, I was not quite used to the truck yet and driving in unfamiliar areas with lotta traffic. I had to pay attention.

I am now in Grand Junction, Colorado, and I’m going to have two things done here. First, I’m going to have the tent on the side windows removed. It’s bad enough during the day but at night is dangerous.

I am also going to try to get wider mudflaps. Because, as you may have noticed, the tires are wider than stock.
Make your own mudflaps by cutting down a set of semi mudflaps. It is cheaper than trying to get a custom set made.

DeckArtist

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I live about 50 miles east of Dallas. Factory windshield and door glass for me. I work outside and the truck is black on black. I just try and park in the shade during the 5 months of misery. For me it's a clear vision thing. I have never liked the tint film process and have even removed it first day on a truck I bought used a few years ago.

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
First thing I always do is go straight to the tint shop. Every piece of glass on my truck gets it. Typically 20% on all windows and 70% ceramic on the windshield (just to block heat), but I will sometimes go darker on the back glass and the rear doors if I feel it necessary.

The truck in my sig came out of SE Texas and there are some things on the outside of the truck that the sun baked before I replaced them. Bed rails, the trim around the windows, etc... Thankfully they had some level of tint on the truck and it kept the sun off the black interior.

20IndyRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel

Very nice find - congratulations.

I get that you don't like the tint. Many people don't drive that much at night using their side mirrors. Apparently, WE do.

If you (or your state) doesn't like dark tint, you don't have to give up UV protection. The new 3M Crystalline Films allow you to block UV with varying levels of tint (VLT). The lowest level offered is "Crystalline 90" with 72% light transmittance and 99.9% UV blockage. I'm guessing that's 50 state approved.

I was astounded to find that my state (Indiana) allowed films with up to 30% VLT on the driver/passenger windows. Not sure if that's recent a change or not. My understanding (70's) was that NO tint was allowed on the driver's/passengers windows. Furthermore, the rules for trucks/suv's are different - which blows my mind.

The following site appears to be accurate on Tint laws for the 3 states that I checked (IN,IA, MI): Tint Laws

I might make use of the darker films on the back and rears side windows to control heat (not terrible in Indiana). I would absolutely use the clear films on the front to control UV without screwing up my night visibility.