Traded my 2500 for 3500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bearcatrp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
That's what mine is: Pearl White Laramie Longhorn only with the 6.4 Hemi.
Nothing wrong with the 6.4 Hemi. Plenty powerful to pull big trailers. The 8 speed in mine shifts so smooth I don’t know what gear I’m in. You don’t have to put DEF in it, no regen, and no high priced oil change compared to our 6.4 Hemi. Before I bought my 3500 with the 6.4, checked on a diesel. When service department quoted me a little over $600 for an oil change and 2 fuel filter change, decided to go 6.4. No regrets.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
The truck came with runningboards that retract when the door is closed. Are used mounted so they are deployed all the time? I thought about getting some like that.
My 22 Limited Longhorn 2500 has the fixed wheel-to-wheel factory running boards. I'm not a fan of the retracting one, so I was happy I could order mine that way.

Curious though. In your first post on this thread, you said you found a '22. But your info under your avatar says '23.

KKBB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Nothing wrong with the 6.4 Hemi. Plenty powerful to pull big trailers. The 8 speed in mine shifts so smooth I don’t know what gear I’m in. You don’t have to put DEF in it, no regen, and no high priced oil change compared to our 6.4 Hemi. Before I bought my 3500 with the 6.4, checked on a diesel. When service department quoted me a little over $600 for an oil change and 2 fuel filter change, decided to go 6.4. No regrets.
The hemi is basically just as much for an oil change...at least for some that use redline, or HPL oils for the finicky hemi to try and make the lifters last. Also, the 5.7 recommends 89 octane, and in my area it is as much or more than diesel, so I guess it is how you look at it whether the gas is cheaper to maintain...could be more!!

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
You should've found another dealer. My oil changes cost $145 and that includes a Mopar filter. My Mopar/Fleetguard fuel filters cost me $120 for the set.

15k oil changes and a 30k fuel filter change brings me to about $410 every 30k miles. A hemi oil change interval is half that. Can't really complain. DEF costs me about $40 a year.

Bearcatrp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Was told that the fuel filters are required change every oil change. Was told that from dealer service department. Must be location specific on costs as have read other places are less expensive. I changed dealers on my last purchase so will ask what they charge. If a bit cheaper, may consider going back to diesel if I ever upgrade. But unless Ram changes to at least a 8 speed, may consider GM with the 10 speed. Every person I have talked to that owns one states it’s a beast pulling 15,000 lb rv’s.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
AZ - 83 Miles SW of the Geographical Center
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Was told that the fuel filters are required change every oil change. Was told that from dealer service department. Must be location specific on costs as have read other places are less expensive. I changed dealers on my last purchase so will ask what they charge. If a bit cheaper, may consider going back to diesel if I ever upgrade. But unless Ram changes to at least a 8 speed, may consider GM with the 10 speed. Every person I have talked to that owns one states it’s a beast pulling 15,000 lb rv’s.
You were lied to. The fuel filter on the 6.4 isn't even an item to check in the Maintenance Section of your Owners Manual. On the diesel, it gets changed every 24,000 miles.

I guess if you want to play it safe, you could change it every 3 oil changes.

Bearcatrp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
So, with that chart showing 15000 miles, I was told right. Correct? Oil changes for diesel is every 15000 miles from what I was told also.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
So, with that chart showing 15000 miles, I was told right. Correct? Oil changes for diesel is every 15000 miles from what I was told also.
Yes, oil/filter and fuel filters yearly or 15K, which ever comes first.

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Yes, oil/filter and fuel filters yearly or 15K, which ever comes first.
This.

I do oil/filters at 15k and fuel filters every other oil change (or every year, whichever). That aligns pretty well with the EVIC. Of course fuel filters will depend on the quality of fuel you run. Sometimes they may need changed more often.

The manual and service dept say every oil change, but if you'll watch the EVIC you'll see that you will change filters often with over 50% life left. Totally your call though.

Stick with the OEM filters (Mopar/Fleetguard). Aftermarkets have been known to cause problems.

KKBB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This.

I do oil/filters at 15k and fuel filters every other oil change (or every year, whichever). That aligns pretty well with the EVIC. Of course fuel filters will depend on the quality of fuel you run. Sometimes they may need changed more often.

The manual and service dept say every oil change, but if you'll watch the EVIC you'll see that you will change filters often with over 50% life left. Totally your call though.

Stick with the OEM filters (Mopar/Fleetguard). Aftermarkets have been known to cause problems.
Yep, don't cheap out on filters and oil. If you can afford the truck, you should be able to afford the maintenance!!

Bearcatrp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
You were lied to. The fuel filter on the 6.4 isn't even an item to check in the Maintenance Section of your Owners Manual. On the diesel, it gets changed every 24,000 miles.

I guess if you want to play it safe, you could change it every 3 oil changes.
Talking about the diesel engine.

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Yes... for the diesel oil changes are every 15k miles. I still think their chart for fuel filters is a bit of an overshoot. It certainly won't harm the engine changing them even more often, but it sure will hurt the wallet for no reason.