Trailer aux power question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BaileyBoyz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
My travel trailer has solar panels on the roof that continuously charge my batteries and power the camper equipment. When towing that is connected to the Ram 12v power. I suspect it is causing issues with trucks computer. My traction control light came on, etc. while towing but no issues when the trailer is not hooked up. What do you think? Also there is a solar disconnect installed by the manufacturer next to the inverter.

chopperman1

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Rebel
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Install the appropriate diode or isolation solenoid on the trailer. Diode will allow power from the truck to the camper, but not the reverse. Isolation solenoid would be wired to disconnect the solar when it senses voltage from the truck.

<edit> I missed your last line that says there is a solar disconnect. That should be disconnected whenever you trailer. That alleviates the need for the above I mentioned.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Yeah any time you aren't using the solar, that should really be disconnected. It'll prevent backfeeding issues.

OP
OP
B

BaileyBoyz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Thanks, that is what I figured. The dealer really should mention that to customers with the solar set up.

OP
OP
B

BaileyBoyz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Install the appropriate diode or isolation solenoid on the trailer. Diode will allow power from the truck to the camper, but not the reverse. Isolation solenoid would be wired to disconnect the solar when it senses voltage from the truck.

<edit> I missed your last line that says there is a solar disconnect. That should be disconnected whenever you trailer. That alleviates the need for the above I mentioned.
Funny thing was the sales guy at the dealer said he did not know why they would put a solar disconnect on trailer.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Funny thing was the sales guy at the dealer said he did not know why they would put a solar disconnect on trailer.
U need to allow the well known lost art of Common Sense to prevail. Most Sales People just have a job, and have no idea about how anything that they sell works. I cannot say how many times I have gone into a place to purchase something, and asked questions, and the "sales person" just dumbfounded, had no clue and just made chit up.

EXAMPLE: I was at the Chevy house Dec 22 looking at a 23 Sierra. The sales guy kept pushing trying to get me to Buy this truck, and kept pushing all these great options like: Hey, look at this fancy tailgate, great stuff huh. When asked about the 5.3L Ecotech problems with lifter issues and such, all he could do was deflect, opened the back door of the truck and started harping on the great under seat storage. Was just too funny, I just let the fool keep up his BS, and of course walked away. I just wanted to look at the pretty truck, hee hee.

Of course, either wire in an isolator like Chopper said, or hit the disconnect switch on the panels. RAMS are STUPID Finicky about power issues, and back feeding into the electrics on yer RAM gonna cause U grief, just saying.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD

Yeah as said above, sales people don't always know what they're selling. You'll find a few that actually take the time to go through the literature and learn what they're talking about and how accessories work, but not many.

I could never sell cars or RVs. I know too much about them and enjoy keeping up on how things are built and what issues they have and ways to fix them. I would likely be constantly upsetting people because 'no your half ton truck cannot pull this 43 ft toy hauler,' 'no you can't put a 35 ft travel trailer behind your Honda Accord,' 'I'm sorry your car dealer told you this could pull that much weight, it's a made up number and here's the numbers you really need to go by.'