Trailering 25' landscape trailer with a 1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Speaking of braking ability, doesn't anybody know about trailer brakes? It drives me crazy when people say that a 1/2 ton doesn't have enough braking for a trailer and you should be a 3/4 ton or bigger. Just about any trailer bigger than a small single axle should have trailer brakes to compensate for this. In the state I live in legally any trailer over I believe 3,000 GVW is required to have brakes (including a break-away kit) on the trailer. I've pulled a 10,000 lb. trailer and with properly working trailer brakes it will stop just as quickly as with no trailer. If somebody is pulling anything over a small trailer with no trailer brakes that is just plain scary.

wrench78

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Speaking of braking ability, doesn't anybody know about trailer brakes? It drives me crazy when people say that a 1/2 ton doesn't have enough braking for a trailer and you should be a 3/4 ton or bigger. Just about any trailer bigger than a small single axle should have trailer brakes to compensate for this. In the state I live in legally any trailer over I believe 3,000 GVW is required to have brakes (including a break-away kit) on the trailer. I've pulled a 10,000 lb. trailer and with properly working trailer brakes it will stop just as quickly as with no trailer. If somebody is pulling anything over a small trailer with no trailer brakes that is just plain scary.
I agree. I have a little Geo Pro camper trailer, 2,700 dry weight. It has it's own brakes. If I turn my controller up past 4, my trailer will actually stop my truck before my truck brakes kick in. LOL

OP
OP
R

RamFP620

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Speaking to liability and to the point made by 62Blazer, last year I offered to tow the trailer in the event a driver from the school didn't show up and we were in a pinch. The band director, understandably, said no because of liability concerns (POV tow vehicle and school owned trailer). This time around, the conversation somehow came up between him and the school's principal and the principal apparently agreed which is why the band director reached out to me. Working with the director last year, I know he would not have asked if he didn't have some type of blessing from a higher up official. Last year, he wouldn't even give me a copy of the key to the trailer....I had to wait until the buses showed up and he walked over to unlock the trailer. I technically was the "volunteer" equipment manager/builder/assembler/and so on :gr_grin: . I think the two of us are of same mentality with respect to liability concerns.
I have already asked the director to ask the principal the liability questions but with 62Blazer's suggestion, I will ask to talk to the principal myself so nothing gets lost in the translation between me, the director and the principal.

Going back to the physics of trailering, I'm well versed in the weight limits of my truck and that is why I made the post because I felt the 10-15% rule definitely applied in this case. With that rule and knowing (worst case) I could be dealing with 900-1000# tongue weight, I knew I could not have any additional payload/passengers in my truck. I guess I've been a little spoiled with only trailering boats. I've towed the 6x12 UHaul trailers but those things have a GVW under 5000#.
Other than liability, the panic stop was my other big concern because you just never know how your rig will behave. Unfortunately, the other week, I had to do panic stop from around 50MPH with the boat in tow and man those trailer brakes did their job! I've had 2 boats in the last 6 years and I swear I think I spent more money on the trailers than the boat itself. The first trailer was tandem but only brakes on one axle. I took care of that only to find out that NJ law required brakes on every axle anyways.

The one funny thing out of all this, the band trailer has electric brakes so this gives me the excuse to buy a controller. I want to go electro/hydraulic on the boat so I'd have to buy a controller anyway.

I really appreciate everyone's input and now I just need to hash a few things out and decide yes or no.

Towbar2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm looking for opinions here. I have a 2017 1500 with 3.92 gears. I'm already towing a 7000# boat with a tandem trailer (~500# tongue weight) with this setup and don't have any issues.
My kid is in marching band and I was asked if I would be willing to trailer the band trailer which is a 25' landscape trailer because relying on the school grounds folks has had its issues.
The trailer is a tandem (I guess that would be obvious) and a GVWR or 9900# which seems to be the norm for this size trailer.

I doubt the trailer is anywhere near 9900# but I would get it weighed to make sure. I know with the boat, the 500# tongue weight is below the normal 10-15% limit but some folks said this was ok because its a boat. But for a box trailer, I'm assuming the 10-15% rule will apply.

Should my 1500 be able to handle this trailer? Thoughts?
I have pulled a Slot of weight (1878# in the bed, and 4367# on a very similar trailer (flagstone from McDowell County) in the hills and on Interstate 40. No problem. Just balance your load and make sure that there is sufficient, but lot excessive, tongue weight.

gbech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2020 5.7 with 3.31's tow an enclosed 24' Trailer with race car inside + tools + extra car stuff etc to various road courses on the East Coast. 780lbs/7800lbs with no issues at all - about 13.4mpg towing down 95 Cooridor, 12.2 down 81 to Atlanta or up 95 to Limerock/Watkins Glen - fewer white knuckle windy drives once installed the 8500lb load leveling/antisway hitch (equalizer)

NashTT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
One caution; if the trailer is not loaded properly you will lose proper hitch weight percentage. When towing something like this be sure to supervise the loading. Put enough weight forward to keep the hitch weight. I am a former band director (39yrs.) and I arrived at the idea of putting double uniform racks at the front of the trailer. When you consider that 80-120 uniforms far outweigh the all the other instruments and equipment, it usually made for a stable trailer.

Dan Topp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Great subject and although I only pull a 18’ with a 3100lb vette,with my tradesman 1500. I liked the change the +70% general coils made for hauling a trailer or a 1700lb load of rock. Cheap easy and reliable. Can change back if needed. Adding the weigh safe hitch to the mix unless you are a expert at loading the tongue.

MrFigs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Lol, yup.. where I am a trailer over 1200lbs is supposed to have brakes. My '12 1500 5.7 3.92, I've towed 15,400lbs for like 50miles no problem. I've also towed 22,000lbs for a very short distance (I got some gravel, asked for 2 yards they put 6 in the dump trailer). Trailer brakes makes a huge difference, so does wind. I was towing buddies 24ft flat front enclosed trailer empty at 60mph due to wind the truck was working harder than the 15,400 load ( 2 lifts of 2x6 x 16 on a tilt deck flat deck. The trailer empty is 4400lbs with about 600lbs tongue weight, each lift of wood was 5500lbs)

Attachments

• Ramlumbertow.jpg
    Ramlumbertow.jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 7

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
It drives me crazy when people say that a 1/2 ton doesn't have enough braking for a trailer and you should be a 3/4 ton or bigger.
Overloaded half tons like are discussed on here almost daily are stopping the truck AND the overloaded hitch weight as it is payload on the truck.

Gasdude59

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins Diesel
I have trailered as a volunteer for a local organization. I always request and receive a copy of their insurance policy from the insurance company naming me as insured.

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
the '19 laramie 1500 ccsb I owned had great brakes and had no trouble stopping when towing our 28' 6000# travel trailer.

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Overloaded half tons like are discussed on here almost daily are stopping the truck AND the overloaded hitch weight as it is payload on the truck.
I understand.......but my comment was only talking about braking and nothing about payload.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I understand.......but my comment was only talking about braking and nothing about payload.
So, the brakes on the truck don't stop the payload weight?

Braking ability depends on weight. Payload is weight on the brakes stopping the truck. It's impossible to talk about truck braking without accounting for the truck's payload.

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So, the brakes on the truck don't stop the payload weight?

Braking ability depends on weight. Payload is weight on the brakes stopping the truck. It's impossible to talk about truck braking without accounting for the truck's payload.
To be honest, I don't really understand what argument you are trying to make here. Yes, brakes are stopping the total weight of the vehicle and trailer. All I'm saying that any trailer larger than a small single axle version should have brakes on it that supplement the brakes on the truck. Therefore you are not solely relying on just the truck's brakes to slow you down, with the trailer brakes compensating for the additional weight of the trailer. Yes, overloading a 1/2 ton is a concern but irrelevant to how the trailer brakes work. Not trying to say that trailer brakes somehow compensate for overloading the truck.....

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins
Easy answer to this - call your insurance company, and ask them what they'll cover in the event of a claim related to pulling the school's trailer, and/or hauling school equipment in your truck.
DoorDash/Pizza Delivery, etc. drivers, their personal coverage kicks in first. DoorDash/UberEats/pizza delivery companies carry umbrella policies that kicks in when the personal policies are done paying. Trust me when i say this...People hit one of these delivery drivers and they see a pot of gold. Losses are high for these umbrella insurers. Call your company and see if they cover. Talk to the school and see if they have an umbrella and if they do, get a copy of a Dec page that LISTS YOU AS AN "ALSO INSURED"!!! If you don't have that, it's all on you.

OP
OP
R

RamFP620

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
One caution; if the trailer is not loaded properly you will lose proper hitch weight percentage. When towing something like this be sure to supervise the loading. Put enough weight forward to keep the hitch weight. I am a former band director (39yrs.) and I arrived at the idea of putting double uniform racks at the front of the trailer. When you consider that 80-120 uniforms far outweigh the all the other instruments and equipment, it usually made for a stable trailer.
Yep...my plan is once everything is loaded that they need for the competition season, I'm going to get it weighed and then make any adjustments to hit the 10-15% tongue weight. I'm also toying with buying some type of a tongue weight scale.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
To be honest, I don't really understand what argument you are trying to make here.

From you post #21:

It drives me crazy when people say that a 1/2 ton doesn't have enough braking for a trailer and you should be a 3/4 ton or bigger. Just about any trailer bigger than a small single axle should have trailer brakes to compensate for this.

That just isn't correct. By this logic, one could but a 53' big rig trailer on a half ton and have no problem stopping it if the trailer brakes were working. Pin/hitch weight on the tow-vehicle is a BIG consideration and MUST be accounted for. I'm not trying to flame you or be difficult. Just pointing out an incorrect statement. I get it that I'm not going to convince you and that's fine.

I'm just trying to help people understand towing concepts. I once had my nose shoved in it by someone on a towing forum for not getting the concept I'm explaining here so I get not realizing it at first. People can choose to believe weight on the truck has to be stopped by the truck.... or not. :cheers:

OP
OP
R

RamFP620

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'd tow a 53' trailer provided:
- the hitch weight + what ever else is in my truck doesn't cause the weight of the truck to exceed 6900# and axle weight is under 3900#
- my GCWR doesn't exceed 15950#
- trailer brakes work

:Big Laugh::Big Laugh::Big Laugh::Big Laugh:

In reality, I'd never exceed GVWR and GCWR.