Transfer Case issues and limits

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Unfortunately no. Every time I go to slow down, it goes away. I’ve had codes checked for but there aren’t any.

With a proper scan tool that can retrieve communication and ABS faults?

billiards4me

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Seems like possibly a good thread to throw this in....

I've got a '14 QC 8-speed 5.7 OEM 20" w/ street tires, w/ FBO and 150HP nitrous... when I go to the drag strip, I typically always launch in 4WA... but I'm wondering if it slows me down at all.

Should I launch 2WD? Ok... silly question... I know I'll get everyone saying, "get slicks, launch 2WD"... but, better question... If I launch in 4WA, is it hard on the transfer if once I'm moving, to hit the 2WD button and try to reduce some of the 4WD drag? Or just leave it in 4WA for the full pull? I've always been afraid to be WOT and shift from 4WA to 2WD.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Seems like possibly a good thread to throw this in....

I've got a '14 QC 8-speed 5.7 OEM 20" w/ street tires, w/ FBO and 150HP nitrous... when I go to the drag strip, I typically always launch in 4WA... but I'm wondering if it slows me down at all.

Should I launch 2WD? Ok... silly question... I know I'll get everyone saying, "get slicks, launch 2WD"... but, better question... If I launch in 4WA, is it hard on the transfer if once I'm moving, to hit the 2WD button and try to reduce some of the 4WD drag? Or just leave it in 4WA for the full pull? I've always been afraid to be WOT and shift from 4WA to 2WD.

I wouldn't shift it under WOT

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
In 4auto the clutch in the transfer case will automatically disengage when wheel slip is no longer detected. Switching back to 2wd will just disengage the front axle disconnect. So you can just leave it in 4auto for the run if you want.

As far as what’s faster for your truck, the track is the best place to test that out.

OP
OP
T JAZ

T JAZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7L V8
Thought Id update this. I went ahead and changed out my transfer case oil. I no longer have any issues with the service 4wd light coming on.

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
Thought Id update this. I went ahead and changed out my transfer case oil. I no longer have any issues with the service 4wd light coming on.
Oil makes a huge difference. I run ATF in mine because I flog it and change it regularly.

Sent from my SM-G981W using Tapatalk