Transmission Fluid

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

seantb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
2014 Ram 1500 Sport 8 Speed 5.7 Hemi.

Recently had the transmission services. They changed the fluid out with Castrol Multi Syn ATF CVT. Started having stuttering issues with the transmission about a week later. put about 1,000k on since the transmission service.
I took it into the dealership (different then where i had the service done) and they believe the wrong fluids are causing the issue.

The Castrol Spec sheet says it can be used for ZF 8-Speed and 9-Speed Transmissions, but doesn't specifical mention RAM 1500, or the transmission model that's noted under my VIN "8-SPD AUTO 8HP70 TRANS".
Does my transmission fall under a certified model for the Castrol, is my transmission a ZF 8-Speed and 9-Speed Transmissions?

The dealership is saying the other guys used the wrong fluid, but the other guys so far are maintaining it was the right stuff.
The other guys had said they will change the fluid out with the proper Mopar stuff from the dealership... will this help? is the damage already done? the Dealership is saying a new transmission is the best route to go, and changing the fluid may or may not help, but if it does, who knows what damage is already done.

I'm not a car guy, so I'm a little lost here.

Thanks for any advice.

Last edited:

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
2014 Ram 1500 Sport 8 Speed 5.7 Hemi.

Recently had the transmission services. They changed the fluid out with Castrol Multi Syn ATF CVT. Started having stuttering issues with the transmission about a week later. put about 1,000k on since the transmission service.
I took it into the dealership (different then where i had the service done) and they believe the wrong fluids are causing the issue.

The Castrol Spec sheet says it can be used for ZF 8-Speed and 9-Speed Transmissions, but doesn't specifical mention RAM 1500, or the transmission model that's noted under my VIN "8-SPD AUTO 8HP70 TRANS".
Does my transmission fall under a certified model for the Castrol, is my transmission a ZF 8-Speed and 9-Speed Transmissions?

The dealership is saying the other guys used the wrong fluid, but the other guys so far are maintaining it was the right stuff.
The other guys had said they will change the fluid out with the proper Mopar stuff from the dealership... will this help? is the damage already done? the Dealership is saying a new transmission is the best route to go, and changing the fluid may or may not help, but if it does, who knows what damage is already done.

I'm not a car guy, so I'm a little lost here.

Thanks for any advice.
Give the shop this sheet,and make sure they do the very first highlighted paragraph.The back wheels need to be roughly 9" in the air to level the pan rail.
If they give you static,tell them these are the directions that come with a "brand new truck " specific 8 speed,they're not the generic instructions most shops follow. I'd be tempted to have them do at least 2 or 3 drain and fills to purge most of the old fluid out of the system.

Attachments

• IMG_3383 (2).JPG
    IMG_3383 (2).JPG
    272.9 KB · Views: 14
OP
OP
S

seantb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Give the shop this sheet,and make sure they do the very first highlighted paragraph.The back wheels need to be roughly 9" in the air to level the pan rail.
If they give you static,tell them these are the directions that come with a "brand new truck " specific 8 speed,they're not the generic instructions most shops follow. I'd be tempted to have them do at least 2 or 3 drain and fills to purge most of the old fluid out of the system.
Thanks for that... any chance i could get a link to the source? I noticed it mentions a unique transmission fluid in this case... knowing this may help in the conversation about the original shop using the wrong fluid.
My big concern is if it is the fluid that caused the issue, and if its not resolved then holding the original shop accountable... the more material i have to support what the dealership is saying, the better.

Thanks

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Thanks for that... any chance i could get a link to the source? I noticed it mentions a unique transmission fluid in this case... knowing this may help in the conversation about the original shop using the wrong fluid.
My big concern is if it is the fluid that caused the issue, and if its not resolved then holding the original shop accountable... the more material i have to support what the dealership is saying, the better.

Thanks
You'll have to buy a new transmission to get those instructions,lol. They were in the packet of instructions that came with my new 8 speed. The unique fluid they're referring to,is the OEM 8/9 speed Mopar fluid,the gold plated unicorn p!$$ for the 8 speeds