Tuner for efan engage temp?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56
Stant not the same since Motorad bought them out.
Anyone tried the Calorstat made by Vernet?
Rockauto sells.

Curios who makes this 1

Last edited:

lantern

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Stant not the same since Motorad bought them out.
Anyone tried the Calorstat made by Vernet?
Rockauto sells.

Curios who makes this 1

No idea who really makes this Mishimoto, but they seem pretty solid: https://www.amazon.ca/Mishimoto-MMTS-JED-06L-Thermostat-Charger-Challenger/dp/B00EDZD5BO

MegaHertz

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you have a Direct Connection dealer local to you,they'll have a 180 t-stat,some normal dealers carry them to.
I don't know if they're any better quality though.
48798 is the number for the older 180 Stant,but as far as i know Stant is no more.
Lately Mr Gasket thermostats seem to have one of the better reps,but even they sometimes leave a bit to be desired.
I've had 2 of them go south in short order to.
The days of buying a thermostat and having it last 10 years seem to be over,now if they make 6 months,you've got a good one,and should go buy a lottery ticket.
Before install i throw every new thermostat in a pot of water on the stove,and use a meat thermometer to monitor the water temp just to make sure the new thermostat is opening at it's advertised temp
Thanks, @Wild one. You were right on the money about a bad thermostat.

Flushed the whole system with distilled water, added a bit of radiator cleaner for good measure, and did the “thermostat delete mod”.

ECT runs rock steady at 185* with no thermostat and just H20. Even driving around for 30 mins, accelerating, idling, cruising… never got above 187-189*.

Fan temp set to 195*, never heard or felt it kick on until I got back home and idled in my driveway for a couple mins. Got up to about 205*, fan kicked on and that baby cooled down to 180* in about 30 secs. That wasn’t happening before, it wasn’t getting below 196* with the fan running almost nonstop.

Interestingly, the Gates t-stat I had in before had “Motorad” stamped on it as does the new Duralast one I just picked up from AutoZone.

Last edited:

MegaHertz

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Got a CEL for "Low Coolant Temp" today. ECT still staying rock solid at 185* cruising around with short-lived spike up to ~187-189 when getting on it, then right back down to 185*. ECT will creep up if I'm idling for any length of time, but fan kicks on and knocks it right back down.

Didn't see any CEL when I had the 180* t-stat in for several months. ECT baseline then was just a couple degrees warmer at 187*, with spikes in the low 190s when on the throttle.

Was almost hoping I could make the t-stat delete mod permanent, but I guess not. One could I guess, if they didn't mind the CEL though. I noticed that my ECO like doesn't come on anymore with the CEL on though. Wonder if the presence of the CEL also affects other vehicle parameters? The truck didn't seem to act any different before... i.e. it wasn't in limp mode or anything that I could perceive.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Got a CEL for "Low Coolant Temp" today. ECT still staying rock solid at 185* cruising around with short-lived spike up to ~187-189 when getting on it, then right back down to 185*. ECT will creep up if I'm idling for any length of time, but fan kicks on and knocks it right back down.

Didn't see any CEL when I had the 180* t-stat in for several months. ECT baseline then was just a couple degrees warmer at 187*, with spikes in the low 190s when on the throttle.

Was almost hoping I could make the t-stat delete mod permanent, but I guess not. One could I guess, if they didn't mind the CEL though. I noticed that my ECO like doesn't come on anymore with the CEL on though. Wonder if the presence of the CEL also affects other vehicle parameters? The truck didn't seem to act any different before... i.e. it wasn't in limp mode or anything that I could perceive.
Your remote start,and good chance your cruise won't work with a cel on.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine

Did you completely delete the thermostat,or did you turn an old thermostat into a restrictor,and re-install it.

MegaHertz

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Then you will have to reinstall a thermostat.
I’ve got another 180* t-stat sitting in the shelf. Just figured I’d keep this set up since it seemed to be going well—until the CEL, that is. Was even starting to hope I might not need to ever worry about another t-stat going out again.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I’ve got another 180* t-stat sitting in the shelf. Just figured I’d keep this set up since it seemed to be going well—until the CEL, that is. Was even starting to hope I might not need to ever worry about another t-stat going out again.
You can try clearing the cel a couple times,a few of the car guys report the cel will go away after a few clears,with the restrictor plates. Whether it works on a truck i don't know,but it's worth a try.If you still get a cel after 3 or 4 clears,then you'll have to put a thermostat back in. Make sure you check the one you have in a pot of water on the stove,just to make sure it's working properly.It's not uncommon for new thermostats to be duds right from word go these days.

MegaHertz

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You can try clearing the cel a couple times,a few of the car guys report the cel will go away after a few clears,with the restrictor plates. Whether it works on a truck i don't know,but it's worth a try.If you still get a cel after 3 or 4 clears,then you'll have to put a thermostat back in. Make sure you check the one you have in a pot of water on the stove,just to make sure it's working properly.It's not uncommon for new thermostats to be duds right from word go these days.
Thank you, I will try that and also raise the fan temp a couple degrees. Maybe allowing it to spike a little higher at times will satisfy it.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Thank you, I will try that and also raise the fan temp a couple degrees. Maybe allowing it to spike a little higher at times will satisfy it.
I'd try 196/198 for the fan,and see what happens.Any lower then that,and your fan usually won't kick off.