Vararam

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ezmoney

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am interested in putting a Vararam air grabber intake on my 2013 5.7 1500. I am wondering if anyone has had problems with water getting into the filter when driving in heavy rain? I know it has drain holes but they are up near the filter. It seems like it water makes it up that far, it would already in the filter. Also any opinions of the Vararam from people who have used them would be appreciated. Thank you.

Lufty

Muskies Bite
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 REBEL
Engine
If I gotta see a pic of that intake again Tray I’m gonna puke. We’ve all seen it hundreds of times now.

Op, do a search on intakes. Vararam has many satisfied users.

OP
OP
ezmoney

ezmoney

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm going to get the Vararam. So far I've only lowered the rear about 2" and installed a C&L aggressive direct fit muffler. It sounds great now and that muffler is a very affordable.
1000001263.jpg

Last edited:

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
OP---I have had a Vararam on 4 different Rams. I also live in Texas. I have never had any problems with water getting into the intake. You are making a good choice.
Jay

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
They don't have any performance improvement but they sure do look nice, and that counts for a lot. Just make sure you aren't using the oiled filter as they mess up your filtering and MAF, intake etc. The paper version works WAY better.

Tray

I think your pickup looks great, and I have never seen photos of it before, so thanks for posting them.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
They don't have any performance improvement but they sure do look nice, and that counts for a lot. Just make sure you aren't using the oiled filter as they mess up your filtering and MAF, intake etc. The paper version works WAY better.

Tray

I think your pickup looks great, and I have never seen photos of it before, so thanks for posting them.
This is incorrect. They are the only aftermarket CAI that shows increased street performance, with the exception of the Moe's custom built trac intake. Moe's tested this intake recently and the results are on his web page, Moe's Performance.
Jay

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
When I see an independent dyno test that proves increased Torque and Horsepower I will believe those results. Claiming a 3/10 better quarter mile time is complete nonsense. If you did any racing you would know you can easily get that kind of variation in multiple passes with no changes to the vehicle.

This is what the website shows, no testing details that I could see. Not really unheard of for a vendor to publish grand claims. Are you old enough to remember the Herter's Catalogues.

1721829744824.png

This was one of their tamer descriptions.

1721829984880.jpeg

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
When I see an independent dyno test that proves increased Torque and Horsepower I will believe those results. Claiming a 3/10 better quarter mile time is complete nonsense. If you did any racing you would know you can easily get that kind of variation in multiple passes with no changes to the vehicle.

This is what the website shows, no testing details that I could see. Not really unheard of for a vendor to publish grand claims. Are you old enough to remember the Herter's Catalogues.

View attachment 547236

This was one of their tamer descriptions.

View attachment 547237
Matt / Moes is actually pretty good at testing things,but you have to follow him on Facebook to see his results.
He doesn't usually try to skew his results,and he does his testing in real time,on the street/track using a Dragy to document his results.In real time 3/10's is actually alot at the track,as that's a good 3 lengths.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Matt / Moes is actually pretty good at testing things,but you have to follow him on Facebook to see his results.
He doesn't usually try to skew his results,and he does his testing in real time,on the street/track using a Dragy to document his results.In real time 3/10's is actually alot at the track,as that's a good 3 lengths.
I have a lot of respect for your experience racing. If you said you tested it and it makes a difference I would believe you. I know nothing about this Moe guy and I don't use Facebook so not likely to learn anyhring about him.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I have a lot of respect for your experience racing. If you said you tested it and it makes a difference I would believe you. I know nothing about this Moe guy and I don't use Facebook so not likely to learn anyhring about him.
I trust Matts testing,him and i have had a few disagreements over the years,but we both respect each other,lol

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OP---I have had a Vararam on 4 different Rams. I also live in Texas. I have never had any problems with water getting into the intake. You are making a good choice.
Jay
@Pull Ya:: Hope U doing well.
DA BOIRD

hunterdan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Quick search would pull up his post from this forum from a few years ago...
Right from the man himself. As far as intakes go, vararam and s&b are king for the stock 5.7 intake manifold. S&b is the best option for the 6.4 manifold.

2012RAM1500RT

Supporting Member
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
PXL_20220415_233306583.jpg
Here's mine. I've had it about 3 years now and have never had an issue with rain and I've been in many down pours. I claim nothing on performance or fuel mileage but I love the old school look and that's what I mainly bought it for! It also gave me a space to put my second battery in when we go camping. I use the original air filter box.

Last edited:

Ludville1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi Sport Crew
View attachment 547683
Here's mine. I've had it about 3 years now and have never had an issue with rain and I've been in many down pours. I claim nothing on performance or fuel mileage but I love the old school look and that's what I mainly bought it for! It also gave me a space to put my second battery in when we go camping. I use the original air filter box.
That does look really cool on there!

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Quick search would pull up his post from this forum from a few years ago...
Right from the man himself. As far as intakes go, vararam and s&b are king for the stock 5.7 intake manifold. S&b is the best option for the 6.4 manifold.
Very cool. Thanks for the info. That does provide proof positive that the Vararam actually works.