Vibration on highway. (Outer tie rods helped some)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dmass1027

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 v8
i have a 2013 Ram 1500 Laramie. I was experiencing a very bad shaking while on the highway once I reached about 70mph. I replaced the outer tie rods and that has definitely helped some. It is riding a good bit smoother, but I am still experiencing a decent bit of vibration, but not until about 75-80mph. Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you.

OP
OP
D

Dmass1027

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 v8
I did not. When I got an alignment the shop mentioned the outer tie rods were loose, so I had that done, but honestly unsure on how everything else is

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If that's all they came up with,hopefully that means the ball joints are still good?? The upper ball joints are common to wear on these trucks. Did you check the wheel bearings/hubs too?

Have you have your tires Road Force Balanced? (look it up on youtube). That would be what I would do. You could balance a square tire on some balancers. But a Hunter RFB will sus out tricky balance problems. Most car dealers have them. That's the way to find balance or out-of-round or other tire/wheel issues. You could have a broken tire cord, or even a bent rim. Rather than spend forever trying to figure it out, I would have them do RFB the wheels/tires and rule that out completely, since wheel/tire issues are the most common issue. And if you're spending the #, have them rim-match the tires to wheel (also do a youtube search). :waytogo:

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I did not. When I got an alignment the shop mentioned the outer tie rods were loose, so I had that done, but honestly unsure on how everything else is
was it re aligned after the tie rods where replaced? and like others mentioned check condition of tires and have them re balanced.

OP
OP
D

Dmass1027

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 v8
Yes, i did have an alignment done immediately after

muletrane

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I had a similar issue on my 2014 4x4 that drove me nuts trying to figure out what the problem was. Turns out one of the stub shafts in the front diff was loose. Mechanic replaced it with an updated part and vibration solved. Cost was about $1200 around 5 yrs ago. Prior to this I had done balancing, aligning, and even 2 different sets of tires.