Weird stuff in hot weather

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rickb3825

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I moved to Las Vegas. And when it's really hot, in the triple digits. My truck does some strange things. Let's say it's lunch time and I go grab a fast food feast. I'm then sitting in the parking lot eating, listening to the radio, running the truck at idle and enjoying the AC. After a few minutes the emergency flashers start going. Today, I was distracted by a phone call. And suddenly my horn honked once. This got my attention and I saw my emergency flashers were blinking. It was a good thing because I was running late. The other thing that happens in the afternoon is the power center, where the usb ports are, have no power. I have a Motorola dongle that connects my phone for Android Auto wirelessly doesn't work. After about 15 minutes of driving it starts working again. Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

KeithP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT
So I moved to Las Vegas. And when it's really hot, in the triple digits. My truck does some strange things. Let's say it's lunch time and I go grab a fast food feast. I'm then sitting in the parking lot eating, listening to the radio, running the truck at idle and enjoying the AC. After a few minutes the emergency flashers start going. Today, I was distracted by a phone call. And suddenly my horn honked once. This got my attention and I saw my emergency flashers were blinking. It was a good thing because I was running late. The other thing that happens in the afternoon is the power center, where the usb ports are, have no power. I have a Motorola dongle that connects my phone for Android Auto wirelessly doesn't work. After about 15 minutes of driving it starts working again. Has anyone else experienced anything like this?
It’s related to the TPMS fill alert. My 22 does it too. Sitting still idling in hot weather causes the front tires to experience a rise in PSI from heat. Engine heat plus parking lot surface temperatures cause this increase in PSI. If the system senses too much of a rise in PSI it will trigger the fill alert.

The fill alert may be/can be?? disabled I’m not sure, I’ve never looked into it. I’ve only had it happen when having my lunch in the truck so I just shut the engine off and restart to reset it.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
AZ - 83 Miles SW of the Geographical Center
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
It’s related to the TPMS fill alert. My 22 does it too. Sitting still idling in hot weather causes the front tires to experience a rise in PSI from heat. Engine heat plus parking lot surface temperatures cause this increase in PSI. If the system senses too much of a rise in PSI it will trigger the fill alert.

The fill alert may be/can be?? disabled I’m not sure, I’ve never looked into it. I’ve only had it happen when having my lunch in the truck so I just shut the engine off and restart to reset it.
It's not a given that everyone has a fill alert. I do not have it. When I picked up my truck at the dealer the pressure was ~90 PSI in each tire, which is 10 PSI over max sidewall pressure and I received no alert.

KeithP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT
It's not a given that everyone has a fill alert. I do not have it. When I picked up my truck at the dealer the pressure was ~90 PSI in each tire, which is 10 PSI over max sidewall pressure and I received no alert.
Are you sure yours isn’t deactivated?

Attachments

• IMG_0152.jpeg
    IMG_0152.jpeg
    192.9 KB · Views: 14

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
AZ - 83 Miles SW of the Geographical Center
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Are you sure yours isn’t deactivated?
I have no way to turn it On or Off, as there is nothing in my Settings regarding the TPMS either way. I do know that I have a 'Low Pressure' alert because it has gone off before. And that picture is of a UConnect system that is several steps above mine.

KeithP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT
I have no way to turn it On or Off, as there is nothing in my Settings regarding the TPMS either way. I do know that I have a 'Low Pressure' alert because it has gone off before. And that picture is of a UConnect system that is several steps above mine.

wrench78

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I would agree probably a bad battery. Also, maybe a loose ground. I would also check the alternator at different times to make sure it is putting out the correct voltage.

OP
OP
R

Rickb3825

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Ding ding ding ding, you win. I realized that the day after I posted this. It occurred to me that the other thing that happens when this does is the evic display between the gauges goes to tire pressure. Still don't understand why that power station doesn't work. But it's not a big deal.