What did you do with your 4th Gen this week?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bandit517

That Trials Guy
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I decided to bleed my brakes and replace the brake fluid with some nice clean DOT 4 since it looked a little dirty, old fluid ended up being in much worse condition then I had though it would be.

The full bottle is old motor oil from my scooter, the other is the old brake fluid from my truck.... I think it was well past time to be changed.

View attachment 547920
Looks about like when I flushed the system on my SuperDuke. LOL

20240302_053814.jpg

Barrelcurve

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
Installed my dash cam. I went with the FitCamX Universal Model B. Installation was pretty straight forward. Only hard part was getting the power cables thru the firewall.
LOVE my dash cams!! Went with a Rexing model with front/rear. There was a time on the interstate when it was wet and everyone came to a sudden stop. The videos I have of drivers crashing all around us were amazing!!! Thankfully, we escaped without any damage!

Drifter667

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I literally told them what was wrong, they looked assumed I was missing a bolt and never addressed my collectors. I just ran out of time and needed an oil change so I figured I'd let them do it. I know another shop that I used to use with my 2005 RAM. Time to go back to him. I almost always do most of my own work.
My Ram had a permanent very small EVAP leak code and the dealerships fix was resetting the PCM despite the fact that permanent codes don't go away until the computer decides the issue is fixed.

Code returned and now I own a smoke tester and fixed the problem myself for half the cost of having them "diagnose" the truck again.

My two car garage is nearly as well equiped as a shop at this point, I'm done with letting mechanics touch my vehicles.

PA Ram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My Ram had a permanent very small EVAP leak code and the dealerships fix was resetting the PCM despite the fact that permanent codes don't go away until the computer decides the issue is fixed.

Code returned and now I own a smoke tester and fixed the problem myself for half the cost of having them "diagnose" the truck again.

My two car garage is nearly as well equiped as a shop at this point, I'm done with letting mechanics touch my vehicles.
Yeah, I prefer to work on my truck whenever possible. My son in law is a diesel mechanic so he usually helps me on bigger projects since he has every tool imaginable at his disposal. Only reason I asked the shop to fix the collector leak is because I worked on the truck all weekend and just didn't have the time or energy even though I knew what was wrong. I'm gonna fix the passenger side collector maybe next weekend. Not very noticeable and not causing any problems,but I'd also like to recheck the BD diesel manifold bolts while I have wheel and liner off. The collector takes a few minutes max. Definitely a big sense of satisfaction doing a job yourself. I've done 100% of the work on my motorcycle even mounting my own tires and changing cams, etc. only thing I haven't done is the actual inspection since buying new in 2012.

Bandit517

That Trials Guy
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Nice! This was mine about a week ago just before I got home.

20240721_160649.jpg

In regards to repair shops, I used to be a certified mechanic right after high school, I saw what happened in the bays to either side of mine. I've watched my fair share of sub-par work from so called professionals. I won't let anyone touch my vehicles anymore. The one job I hired out on my Ram since I bought it got messed up. (Mount/balance 35's)

Last edited:

Drifter667

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Nice! This was mine about a week ago just before I got home.

View attachment 547972

In regards to repair shops, I used to be a certified mechanic right after high school, I saw what happened in the bays to either side of mine. I've watched my fair share of sub-par work from so called professionals. I won't let anyone touch my vehicles anymore. The one job I hired out on my Ram since I bought it got messed up. (Mount/balance 35's)
Had a dealer change tire and swap out the valve stem on my scooter and by some miracle they managed to screw it up, some times I wonder how I can possibly be a more competant mechanic then some of these yahoos despite only my four years of HS auto shop and forum reading lol.

On a more cheerful note the only fluid I've left to change on my truck is the coolant and I should be set for a bit.

WY-Dave

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500
Engine
6.7 CTD
I got tired of trying to find the leak when using the Leer that I bought used and when taking it off the guy's cradle, a window got broken. Leer DOES NOT have replacement windows. StateWide, the company that makes the windows, will not sell by them individually. And Leer WILL NOT help in getting a replacement. The last conversation with the Leer factory rep was "good luck"

Found this unknown brand, no marking and I forgot to ask, on FB maket for $400. Yesterday I went looking around and they are $1400-1700.

The front clamping system uses a rotary knob setup but the middle and rear uses a swing lock system. With the dirt roads with potholes and scrubboards, I think I am going to see if I find 4 more of the rotary knobs .

1723064384977.png

StateOfMind

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I decided to bleed my brakes and replace the brake fluid with some nice clean DOT 4 since it looked a little dirty, old fluid ended up being in much worse condition then I had though it would be.

The full bottle is old motor oil from my scooter, the other is the old brake fluid from my truck.... I think it was well past time to be changed.

View attachment 547920
I thought our trucks used the old dot 3

jawzs2

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010, 2014
Engine
1500, 3500
Found this unknown brand, no marking and I forgot to ask

It looks real similar to my Extang, but mine doesn't have any latches in the middle, just the two knobs up front and two spring laches by the tailgate. The corners, folding hinges and sides look almost identical, even the two tie-downs securing it folded look the same.

WY-Dave

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500
Engine
6.7 CTD
It looks real similar to my Extang, but mine doesn't have any latches in the middle, just the two knobs up front and two spring laches by the tailgate. The corners, folding hinges and sides look almost identical, even the two tie-downs securing it folded look the same.
Tomorrow im going to do some detailed pics and start a post of ID this top haha. I found the latch kit on amazon so, it might even be a wangchung cover haha

audiophile

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
New front brakes (Power Stop Z36 to match the rear) and new CV axles. Fun stuff.

HarryS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Replaced my overhead console with one that has the garage door openers on it, along with LED reading lamps.

Kid's HEMI! !!

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
starting the swap soon and trying to get the last little bits and pieces that I need to keep reading that there’s a bushing for the flywheel/flex plate. I’m not exactly sure which one I need. I google it and there’s 20 different kinds and I can’t get an exact answer, I think this is the one that I need
IMG_1487.pngIMG_1483.jpeg

WY-Dave

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500
Engine
6.7 CTD
1723679554622.png

1723680033124.png
what a PITA
1723680095782.png

This grease "pin" was absolutely useless, has a spring loaded cutoff and could not reach it to release the lube
1723680250671.png

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
starting the swap soon and trying to get the last little bits and pieces that I need to keep reading that there’s a bushing for the flywheel/flex plate. I’m not exactly sure which one I need. I google it and there’s 20 different kinds and I can’t get an exact answer, I think this is the one that I need
View attachment 548638View attachment 548639
The pilot bushing is dependent on what transmission you have.The 8 speed / Nag 1 / 6 speed manual / RFE were all bolted behind the 5.7 and 6.4. If you have the RFE it uses a differant pilot bushing then the 8 speed does. Look up the pilot bushing for your trucks transmission with the original 5.7,that'll be the one you want