What makes it "worth it" to factory order?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AnthonyRI

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
A simple poll about your decisions to order a new vehicle or not! For this purpose, lets assume that everything is apples to apples.
You'd already be in the market for a new truck, and what you were looking for is reasonably easy to find at a dealer that is reasonably smooth to work with, etc.
What would make you

QUESTION #1 - How much savings do you need to see to delay instant gratification of buying instock, versus placing an order?

QUESTION #2 - What do you think a reasonably amount of time is to expect your factory order, to achieve the savings in question #1?

QUESTION #3 - What other hurdles have their been for you in your decision to do a special order in the past?

Looking forward to all of your feedback! If we could - lets try to keep this away from "I'm not ordering because I love my HEMI" lol we all understand THAT part of it, lets just assume in this case what you wanted was both available instock near you AND available to order.

chopperman1

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Rebel
Engine
5.7L HEMI
1, I would expect equivalent savings as buying off a lot. Mindset in dealers in my area tend not to do that, not as deep of discounts.
2, Unless I had an immediate need to replace a current truck (ie accident), 2-3mo, maybe longer if the discounts are right.
3, Biggest hurdle is the locations of some of the discount dealerships. My time is worth more to me than loosing a few days traveling to get it. Shipping, eh, I prefer to see and drive a vehicle prior to accepting delivery. Next largest hurdle is losing relationship with my current dealers. As much as folks say warranty can be done anywhere. It's the scheduling and extra's one gets from walking it to your local dealership and being greeted by name and "fitting you in".

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
AZ - 83 Miles SW of the Geographical Center
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
1) I received zero rebates or dealer incentives
2) A reasonable wait time would be 90 days from date of order. Much longer than that and I would (and have) cancel.
3) No hurdles to jump through

The one singular reason I factory ordered was so I didn't have to take all the extra BS that comes with the various electronic packages and options that are glammed onto the trucks in the lot. I wanted an HD truck, regular cab, 4x2, long-bed, manual windows and door locks, no carpeting or cloth seats...period. The only way to get that was to factory order. My truck was at the dealership 8 weeks from the day I gave them the down payment.

Papa Red

Papa Red
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
#1; I'm not looking for any better of a price. I just want a truck with what I want on/in it.

#2; The longest I've ever waited for a custom ordered truck has been 7 weeks. It really shouldn't take longer than that.

#3; No other hurdles. Ordering a truck gets you what you want and you don't have to settle for what the dealer has on the lot. I've special ordered my last five trucks and have been happy with each and every one of them.

Red

diymirage

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What special options are we talking about ?

I can see an advantage to a plow prep package if it comes with better charging and cooling components

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
#1) I'd rather order, unless I was in a position where I had nothing to drive (maybe a tornado trashed all my vehicles?) I don't care about instant gratification. To me the decision is who's at the nexus of best price and easiest to deal with. Ordering gets me exactly what I want without the things I don't want.

#2) 2-3 months, preferably. I was going to order a 2023 new from you guys but was told 6-9 months (still COVID mess) and no guarantee it would actually get built or all options would be available. I know that's not the norm, but it was what kept me from pulling the trigger with you last time.

#3) See #2. In 2012, I went to order my 1500 and the dealer had one to the exact specs I wanted on the lot, so I took it for the same money. In 2023, I wanted to order, but COVID mess and I found I strongly preferred the interior in the 75A that you couldn't get outside of the 75A. Ultimately I elected to buy a used truck with 8k miles on it to get exactly what I wanted without the wait and with the features I wanted that were no longer available.

As you can see, I tend to keep my vehicles for 10 years or so, so I'm probably not going to be in the market again soon absent theft or totaling amount of damage. Because I keep them for so long, I want *exactly* what I want and am not really into compromise on options.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
AZ - 83 Miles SW of the Geographical Center
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
#1) I'd rather order, unless I was in a position where I had nothing to drive (maybe a tornado trashed all my vehicles?) I don't care about instant gratification. To me the decision is who's at the nexus of best price and easiest to deal with. Ordering gets me exactly what I want without the things I don't want.

#2) 2-3 months, preferably. I was going to order a 2023 new from you guys but was told 6-9 months (still COVID mess) and no guarantee it would actually get built or all options would be available. I know that's not the norm, but it was what kept me from pulling the trigger with you last time.

#3) See #2. In 2012, I went to order my 1500 and the dealer had one to the exact specs I wanted on the lot, so I took it for the same money. In 2023, I wanted to order, but COVID mess and I found I strongly preferred the interior in the 75A that you couldn't get outside of the 75A. Ultimately I elected to buy a used truck with 8k miles on it to get exactly what I wanted without the wait and with the features I wanted that were no longer available.

As you can see, I tend to keep my vehicles for 10 years or so, so I'm probably not going to be in the market again soon absent theft or totaling amount of damage. Because I keep them for so long, I want *exactly* what I want and am not really into compromise on options.
Agreed...I had originally ordered a 2022 1500 from the dealer - order date July 3, 2022. It was completed and rolled off the assembly line 6 weeks later, before the end of August. First week in December (5 months after ordering) it was still sitting on the back lot at the plant in in Saltillo, MX. No TBD ship date, so I cancelled the order. A month later (6 months after ordering) the dealer called and said the truck was in...I told him it was too late.

Second week in January 2023 I went and ordered this 2500. I told them they had 90 days to get it to me or I would cancel again. They said they couldn't promise that, but the truck was at the dealership in 8 weeks. People have to stop screwing around and accepting sub-par performance. They want my $50,000, they need to jump through a couple hoops and not leave me with my ass hanging in the wind.

Stavinksi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
1) ordering is less about price and more about getting what one wants/needs. If you look at the lifetime cost of owning and operating a truck, that $1500 incentive is meaningless.

2) a few months is fine but this also is not going to matter. Unless you have an emergency situation, it takes how long it takes. Can always rent a car or truck for a month or 5 too.

3) with RAM specifically I tried to order one at one point and was told the only ones I could order were v6, wait until next year for a v8. They seem to have solved that by not making v8’s anymore so I will keep my ‘22 until electric is resolved. I am a day 1 REV reservation holder, anxiously awaiting pricing but not optimistic that’s going to be attractive enough to displace my ‘22.

Last edited:

SigEp418

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi BTS Edition
1. My last 3 cars have been Ram 1500’s. 2016 sport, 2018 sport and 2024 built to serve (I hate chrome on trucks. No offense. Lol). I live in a mid/major city with 5 Ram dealers in a 15 mile radius. I’ve always been able to find what I was looking for on the lot and have never had to order. This applies to every make/model I’ve ever purchased. But if I didn’t have the convenience of living where I do, I’d definitely order to get what I wanted.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
If final cost is the most important factor then whatever is best deal (order or existing inventory) will be taken and time wouldn't be a factor. If an exact vehicle is desired then cost is not the most important factor and time again is more flexible.

Of course anyone who has decided to buy a new vehicle wants it as quickly as possible. Some factors that impact ability to choose ordering or buying off lot to consider include the potential loss of special incentives if delivery date goes past incentive period; some incentives are restricted to current inventory, it may be hard to find existing vehicle with certain co-existent features like a particular payload capacity and bed length (just put two things together, not saying this is actually true).

But interesting to read comments.

Choupique

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
It's cost vs desperation for me. Barring some tragedy that left me desperate for a truck, I'd be willing to wait 5-6 months for a new truck if it saved me 5% on the total price. These things are expensive af these days, and I just need it to reliably transport me and my stuff for the lowest possible cost

brian42

Military
Reaction score
I was pressed for time (my previous truck was totaled in an accident...not my fault...so needed new wheels in short order) so had to pick from what was already on the lot. I got most of what I wanted but still had to compromise a bit to find the best that was around me.

If I had the time I would have ordered one. I would get exactly what I want and:

- Not been stuck paying for options I didn't want.

- Not been stuck with a truck that didn't have options that I wanted.

- Nobody would have ever taken it for a test drive. Who knows how many people test drove my truck before I bought it...and how they treated it.

- Not sitting on the lot for an undetermined amount of time. I think mine was on the lot for at least a couple of months before I bought it. In addition to all the test drives, the sales staff had to keep pumping a few bucks of gas into it regularly and who knows how many lunch trips/errands while they had it out.

- The whole time it was on the lot it only had a few gallons in the tank so lots of miles (hard ones - yes, no, maybe? I'll never know) mostly empty. I never like to go below 1/4 tank for fuel pump suction head and maintain lubrication to anything in the tank.

I'm definitely more OCD than most and my truck turned out great but, if I had my choice, I would have ordered the exact truck I wanted...even if it cost me a few extra $$$.

FL-RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Bighorn Night Edition
Engine
V8
I just bought a new 2024 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit for the wife. I knew exactly what she wanted on it. Did my research online, looked at all the available options, and walked into the dealership and told them exactly what we were looking for. They didn't have anything on the lot so they did a national search and found one about 6 hours away. Two days later it's in my driveway.

The only way I would order one from the factory would be if there simply wasn't anything available anywhere that is to your liking. Do you really need massage seats and a heads-up display (this new Jeep has massage seats, and honestly it's kind of a waste)? Are you willing to wait a month to get those options?

Bigskyroadglide

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, supercharged
QUESTION #1 - How much savings do you need to see to delay instant gratification of buying instock, versus placing an order?

I expect the same deal or better if ordering, so my discount better be really good and hold until delivery, as its a sold unit and you get to keep the floor plan and hold back. In addition, if I choose anything to be added on, and you provide, (side steps, visors, etc) I'm generally paying retail so I expect to be treated much better than a walk in customer.

QUESTION #2 - What do you think a reasonably amount of time is to expect your factory order, to achieve the savings in question #1?

90 days.

QUESTION #3 - What other hurdles have their been for you in your decision to do a special order in the past?

Cost to fly in, overnight stay based on your location and any cost I bear outside the vehicle purchase. This has not generally been a problem due to vehicle saving but it could be.

The primary reason I have ordered my last 2 vehicles from you is to avoid features that are on most in stock units.

I do not want nanny features, (I can drive and don't need to have anything do it for me and I don't need to check my phone every 5 minutes for a text) second, I don't want a hybrid, e torque or any device that is designed to alter engine operation, I don't even want start stop and disable it immediately.

Last, I don't want a 12 or 14 inch screen in the car, a V6, 3.21 gears or an open diff and other BS you typically order truck or jeeps with. Also, if the option is available, i want a manual transmission which is hard to find. Why buy off the lot if you get the features you do not want. Others may want them, not me.

In summary, I order because I tend to keep vehicles for 150k plus miles and really buy features not color and hate how most vehicles are ordered cause they are for the masses who do not have a relationship with the vehicle, it's just a mode of transportation and could be under any brand name.

Last edited:

FL-RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Bighorn Night Edition
Engine
V8

I expect the same deal or better if ordering, so my discount better be really good and hold until delivery, as its a sold unit and you get to keep the floor plan and hold back. In addition, if I choose anything to be added on, and you provide, (side steps, visors, etc) I'm generally paying retail so I expect to be treated much better than a walk in customer.

90 days.

Cost to fly in, overnight stay based on your location and any cost I bear outside the vehicle purchase. This has not generally been a problem due to vehicle saving but it could be.

The primary reason I have ordered my last 2 vehicles from you is to avoid features that are on most in stock units.

I do not want nanny features, (I can drive and don't need to have anything do it for me and I don't need to check my phone every 5 minutes for a text) second, I don't want a hybrid, e torque or any device that is designed to alter engine operation, I don't even want start stop and disable it immediately.

Last, I don't want a 12 or 14 inch screen in the car, a V6, 3.21 gears or an open diff and other BS you typically order truck or jeeps with. Also, if the option is available, i want a manual transmission which is hard to find. Why buy off the lot if you get the features you do not want. Others may want them, not me.

In summary, I order because I tend to keep vehicles for 150k plus miles and really buy features not color and hate how most vehicles are ordered cause they are for the masses who do not have a relationship with the vehicle, it's just a mode of transportation and could be under any brand name.
Man, I don't think you can get anything in manual transmission anymore. I agree on the tech. It's getting too much. This new Grand Cherokee has way too many unneeded electronic features, but that was the only way we could get the non-negotiable tan leather seats we wanted. I wish we could hand pick the options we really want.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
Man, I don't think you can get anything in manual transmission anymore.

In the US, I think it's almost entirely sports cars now. Mustang, Miata, some of the BMWs. I *think* Cadillac still offers a manual in the Blackwing. A few Asian made econoboxes still do, as well. If there is a current production light truck or SUV available with a manual I am unaware of it.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
Do you really need massage seats and a heads-up display (this new Jeep has massage seats, and honestly it's kind of a waste)? Are you willing to wait a month to get those options?

If I wanted them, yes. What's another month of driving whatever I'd been driving for years to get exactly what I want?