Where to purchase lifters and cam from?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dakotanut

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Going to replace the lifters and cam soon. I see all kinds of lifters and cams for sale on the www. Is Mopar the way to go with this or aftermarket better? Can I just replace the lifters or do I need the arm they mount into also? I have the MDS. Also, gaskets. Mopar also or will Felpro work?

OP
OP
dakotanut

dakotanut

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm being directed to Amazon for lifters and cam. Would yall trust anything from Amazon? They are cheaper and in my experience if it's cheaper In price it usually is cheap in quality and performance. Thanks.

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I'm being directed to Amazon for lifters and cam. Would yall trust anything from Amazon? They are cheaper and in my experience if it's cheaper In price it usually is cheap in quality and performance. Thanks.
I have purchased several cams and lifter sets from Amazon and I have never had any issues and I have purchased from multiple sellers. Even eBay has been a good source for parts for me lately.

OP
OP
dakotanut

dakotanut

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have purchased several cams and lifter sets from Amazon and I have never had any issues and I have purchased from multiple sellers. Even eBay has been a good source for parts for me lately.
Thanks for the response. Ok. Anybody in particular?

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
its no secret plenty of counterfiet and fakes go through amazon. if its shipping direct from the manufacturer via amazon then it should be just fine. otherwise its worth research where its shipping from. critical components i like to know theyre the real deal not some lame chinese counterfeit

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Thanks for the response. Ok. Anybody in particular?
Hey. Sorry it took me so long to post. This first link is one from Amazon that I have use 6 times and I have not had a single issue. It is a pretty nice kit with a good bunch of parts. This kit has cam, lifters, oil pump, timing set with tensioner and guide, cam phaser, crank gear, oil pan gasket, both front and rear crank seals and all the gaskets you will need for the job.

OP
OP
dakotanut

dakotanut

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey. Sorry it took me so long to post. This first link is one from Amazon that I have use 6 times and I have not had a single issue. It is a pretty nice kit with a good bunch of parts. This kit has cam, lifters, oil pump, timing set with tensioner and guide, cam phaser, crank gear, oil pan gasket, both front and rear crank seals and all the gaskets you will need for the job.

Thanks a lot. Will I need anything additional with the lifters and cam swap? Like bolts, or anything I can't think of atm?

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Thanks a lot. Will I need anything additional with the lifters and cam swap? Like bolts, or anything I can't think of atm?
The kit that I posted actually comes with head bolts. I forgot to put that in my last post.

You will need oil, filter and coolant and some engine rtv/silicone.

OP
OP
dakotanut

dakotanut

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The kit that I posted actually comes with head bolts. I forgot to put that in my last post.

You will need oil, filter and coolant and some engine rtv/silicone.
I'm just doing the heads and valvetrain. Do I need bolts or pumps?

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I'm just doing the heads and valvetrain. Do I need bolts or pumps?
No, not necessarily. If you had good oil pressure before then I would just remove the pump, remove the back plate and inspect the gears for any abnormal wear and then reinstall it. Head bolts I would say no and at least get a head bolt set.

The easiest place is from O'reilly's and they are not expensive. My O'Reilly's has them for $30.99 per box and you need two boxes.

I forgot to post this earlier. This is the other kit I have used more than 20 times with great results...

OP
OP
dakotanut

dakotanut

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No, not necessarily. If you had good oil pressure before then I would just remove the pump, remove the back plate and inspect the gears for any abnormal wear and then reinstall it. Head bolts I would say no and at least get a head bolt set.

The easiest place is from O'reilly's and they are not expensive. My O'Reilly's has them for $30.99 per box and you need two boxes.

I forgot to post this earlier. This is the other kit I have used more than 20 times with great results...

How hard is it to get the timing back right? Seems like it's the hardest thing to do.

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
How hard is it to get the timing back right? Seems like it's the hardest thing to do.
It's not difficult at all. You will have the cylinder heads off to replace the lifters anyways so that part will make it super simple to get the #1 cylinder on top dead center.

Once #1 is at too dead center, leave the motor there and "DO NOT" roll it over at all.

Install the camshaft and cam phaser like the book says and properly torque everything. The cam phaser timing mark goes to the 12 o'clock position and the crank gear timing mark goes to the 6 o'clock position. The timing chain has painted links to line up in the cam phaser and the crank gear to aid in chain installation.

If you need any help shoot me a message

OP
OP
dakotanut

dakotanut

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
T
It's not difficult at all. You will have the cylinder heads off to replace the lifters anyways so that part will make it super simple to get the #1 cylinder on top dead center.

Once #1 is at too dead center, leave the motor there and "DO NOT" roll it over at all.

Install the camshaft and cam phaser like the book says and properly torque everything. The cam phaser timing mark goes to the 12 o'clock position and the crank gear timing mark goes to the 6 o'clock position. The timing chain has painted links to line up in the cam phaser and the crank gear to aid in chain installation.

If you need any help shoot me a message
OK. Thanks. I watched a couple of videos on the timing marks tonight. Seems simple enough.

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
OK. Thanks. I watched a couple of videos on the timing marks tonight. Seems simple enough.
Yeah man, it's not hard at all. Don't let it scare you or turn you away from doing the work. It's really easy.

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Would you get rid of the MDS? How much mileage would I lose
If I were you I would delete the MDS. It's only worth about 1.0 - 1.5mpg in most cases unless you drive very conservatively.

If.you can afford to buy a tuner that is MDS delete capable as well as the parts then I would say go ahead and get it done.