Bugs and rock chips on the hood options?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tom57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
I want to protect the front of my hood getting chipped with bugs and rock chips.
I could go with a hood visor, or hood bra......... but I was thinking that a clear hood wrap would be better?
I don't like the looks of a hood visor and snow and ice gets trapped behind it, and I had front bras before but found out where they latch it rubs and damages the paint.
Hood Wrap ?

CrispyBacon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you're paying for PPF, do the big parts of the bumper, too.

I need a paint touch up pen. I have two little chips :(

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
I have PPF and Chrome bumpers and grill on my pickup. Rock chips issue is solved and the PPF makes a very big difference. The right hood mounted deflector can also help a lot with the amount of bugs that end up on your wind shield. PAM cooking spray on the bumper, grill and back of mirrors after washing the vehicle, makes washing bug splats off very easy. Some Dawn dish soap in your washer fluid helps a ton with getting them off of the windshield.

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins
Bras are for boobs, because there is no paint to rub off. Pam cooking spray controls the bugs but does nothing for rock chips. The clear wrap seems to be the best option.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Bras are for boobs, because there is no paint to rub off. Pam cooking spray controls the bugs but does nothing for rock chips. The clear wrap seems to be the best option.
Pam AND clear wrap is what I was suggesting.

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins
Pam AND clear wrap is what I was suggesting.
I didn't read your post, so I appologize if it seemed I was busting on you...I was not. I was thinking in my head about the edge of the hood only...And living in the love bug state, Pam is your best friend in April and November. :)

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Touch it up. If you are ok with how the paint looks then PFF the full front and I would suggest the leading edge of the roof. If you aren't ok with any scratches or swirls then get that paint corrected and then add your PPF. I would highly suggest XPEL for the PPF.

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
^^ This!
I have my headlights, fog lights, A-pillars, and leading edge of my roof line from the top of the windshield back about 10"; tucked into the channel as well so it has full leading edge coverage.

I did this on my previous Ram, too. Huge benefits, and X-Pel is really good quality stuff!

I also run an AVS front hood guard as well. I personally like the look of it, plus it provides some added protection from flying debris, and helps to deflect some bugs from the windshield.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
^^ This!
I have my headlights, fog lights, A-pillars, and leading edge of my roof line from the top of the windshield back about 10"; tucked into the channel as well so it has full leading edge coverage.

I did this on my previous Ram, too. Huge benefits, and X-Pel is really good quality stuff!

I also run an AVS front hood guard as well. I personally like the look of it, plus it provides some added protection from flying debris, and helps to deflect some bugs from the windshield.
Xpel is top of the line. Ive got it on both my flex and wifes jeep. Full fronts with mirrors and the leading edge. The self healing effect is another great benefit. Lets not forget the warranty.

OP
OP
T

Tom57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
PPF was basically what I was talking about - a clear wrap
Have you guys done it yourself?
The reason I was asking is the local guy that does car wraps is terrible and he has lawsuits against him for the ruined wrap jobs and a respectable car wrap artist is 100 miles away