Which oil additive brand do you use?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

audiophile

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
None right now but have used both Restore in older vehicles and BG in newer.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Lubegard biotech for a safe boost of oil soluble EP additives.

BGmoa for a tbn boost.

Autox if you want a slow clean of an engine, slower safer clean then dumping in a solvent, ester based cleaner. Can temporarily mess up 02 sensors.

Or use an oil like redline that doesnt benefit from either because it already has those areas covered and then some.

What I don't use- oil thickners such as lucas or moly ep or chlorinated paraffins such as prolong, motorkote or duralube. Or mineral oil ones that may not be dangerous but are a waste of money. Research your additives before using them, some are flat dangerous.

OP
OP
CaseO

CaseO

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
where are you? Is this a high mileage ram? There is a when to and when not to use redline thread. If there is no hemi tick, I would not go switching to redline in a high mileage ram. Or at least understand the risks.

I have over 186,000 miles on my Ram and to my knowledge I don’t have a Ram Tick. Should I just stick to the PUP 5w30?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I have over 186,000 miles on my Ram and to my knowledge I don’t have a Ram Tick. Should I just stick to the PUP 5w30?
IMO, yes. If you felt like getting some protection against dry tick or hemi tick, you can opt for some lubeguard biotech, and I certainly would use a spun microglass filter such as royal purple 20-820. If you had hemi tick, you would certainly know it, it isnt exactly something easy to ignore. For sure I'd stick with that oil and use the rp filter, maybe or maybe not go lubeguard. I would invest in a used oil analysis from blackstone if you really want to know the health of the engine and perhaps get some benefit at a different strategy, o make you comfortable with what you are doing, depending on how the numbers ae.

Ramember when

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
where are you? Is this a high mileage ram? There is a when to and when not to use redline thread. If there is no hemi tick, I would not go switching to redline in a high mileage ram. Or at least understand the risks.
220k hear more like a lower rattle than a hemi tick.

kayjo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Id use pretty much anything that is not API SN certified. Basically old school oils with plenty of zinc phosphorus and molybdenum. And I think the 5-20 thing is just epa mileage stuff. So 5-30 weight. I think there would be no discussion here if the manufacturers did not try to milk a 1/2 mpg or everyone was paranoid about a few metals that "may be" exhausted or harm a catalytic converter after a couple hundred thousand miles.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Right now I’m using a Boss Purolator and I have another one for the next oil change.
That filter didnt make the gm test, and neither did wix xp, the only expereince I has with that filter was my truck ticked on it before it was redesigned. The redesign doesnt look that good either see below graph. Just like the GM test, fram ultra and rp are on the top.

Wix xp and Puro Boss are worse then paper ac delco, that is plain embarrassing.

51876124149_fc895001db_c-jpg-jpg-jpg.jpg

OP
OP
CaseO

CaseO

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That filter didnt make the gm test, and neither did wix xp, the only expereince I has with that filter was my truck ticked on it before it was redesigned. The redesign doesnt look that good either see below graph. Just like the GM test, fram ultra and rp are on the top.

Wix xp and Puro Boss are worse then paper ac delco, that is plain embarrassing.

51876124149_fc895001db_c-jpg-jpg-jpg.jpg

Dang!! Aren’t those Frams caps made of cardboard?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I'm not sure about their ultra line. Every thing I have seen here always points me to RP, which is why I bought twenty of them a few years back. I wont have any reason to buy another filter for my hemi.

If not for RP I'd be using f ultra. I do use those in our other car.

OP
OP
CaseO

CaseO

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Every place I have went is out of RP oil filter 10-48. Also sold out of Frams.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Don't use the 10-48 on hemi's, you want 20-820. Guys are getting low psi on the smaller filter amsoil clone to that filter. It will fit.

OP
OP
CaseO

CaseO

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Guess I will wait and see if advance auto has the RP oil filters or the Frams. Strike two.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Take a look down there, do you have 3 inches of clearance above what you have now? If so, 20-500 should fit, on sale amazon 11 bucks.