Which street tires for 20" wheels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB 2WD 6sp
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Hey all. I currently have 275/60/r20, which is the same size tire that is listed on my door panel sticker. They have some mild "sun damage", so I will be replacing them in a few months. I have aftermarket 20" MB Chaos 5 wheels.

I am looking for suggestions on long-lasting street tires to replace them. Same size, preferably (unless there is a good reason to change sizes.) It is a 2wd truck, and I put the majority of my miles on a highway doing 70mph. We do get rain sometimes, maybe icy/snowy 5 days a year, but mostly dry asphalt, so I don't need anything good in snow.

Requirements:
fit my 20's obviously
long-lasting
good traction/handling
good 70-80mph manners
available at Discount Tire.

I like dueller and michelin, but haven't bought non-AT/MT tires in near a decade, so I don't know what is best. Thanks.

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Hey all. I currently have 275/60/r20, which is the same size tire that is listed on my door panel sticker. They have some mild "sun damage", so I will be replacing them in a few months. I have aftermarket 20" MB Chaos 5 wheels.

I am looking for suggestions on long-lasting street tires to replace them. Same size, preferably (unless there is a good reason to change sizes.) It is a 2wd truck, and I put the majority of my miles on a highway doing 70mph. We do get rain sometimes, maybe icy/snowy 5 days a year, but mostly dry asphalt, so I don't need anything good in snow.

Requirements:
fit my 20's obviously
long-lasting
good traction/handling
good 70-80mph manners
available at Discount Tire.

I like dueller and michelin, but haven't bought non-AT/MT tires in near a decade, so I don't know what is best. Thanks.
If you are a COSTCO member, their prices on Michelins is hard to beat. They throw in road hazard and nitrogen fill for free. No ridiculous extras either. Valve stems reasonably priced and no slimy disposal add-ons.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have the General HTS 60 in that size, long wearing, quiet and xload rated.

I bought them over the Michelin that I had on my 17's, they were the Defender LTX M/s2 and they were also long wearing and quiet but are standard load.

I am very happy so far with the Generals.

ISellRams22

TxnRamTrvlr
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
boss, there is no tire in the world especially for rams like the Michelin Defender ltx m/s. get your stock size and you will beblown away by comfort, wet and snow traction and quietness. they are a bit more expensive but the michelin brand isnt a hoax. adding a michelin is like adding another gear. better mpg, comfort and you feel like you are stuck to the ground. plus the 70k tread life warranty is the best. do you tire rotations and take them back arounf 60k miles and you get new ones for free. good luck

OP
OP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB 2WD 6sp
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Thanks, yall! Im a sucker for michelins....those seem to have a "cult" following, so there must be some magic with them...the ltx's, I mean.

RammerHarder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I bought the Kumho Crugen HT51 tires because they have a 70,000 mile rating. I`ve run them out to 65,000+ before they needed to be replaced. My ONLY issue with them, is that they are not comfortable tires. They are loud, and they ride very rough, but they do last. I can buy them on sale for $126 each to my door, free shipping for the 20" tires. (normally they are $151 each, just have to wait for them to go on sale and buy them ahead of time) The Kumho are a great wearing tire, but there are trade offs. Cheap price, last a long time, but loud and rough ride. Likely why they last so long, harder compound tire. They surely beat the snot out of those goodyear HP & SRA tires that only last for 14,000 miles MAX, and goodyears cost more to replace. Everytime i went to replace the 20" OEM SRA tires on any of my sport trucks, my trucks wouldn`t stop shaking. After 5 sets in a week on my last 14 sport truck, i switched to Kumho and never looked back. I`d love to buy michelins, but holy christ, the price drives me right back to the Kumho`s everytime. I can deal with the rougher ride and some noise just to save some money. I put 25,000K a year on my trucks, tires arent cheap for me. I pull the 20" off in the winter, i have 17 snows for winter time. The Kumho`s are worth a look, if your lookin to save some money. Your local walmart has good prices on tires. And they run sales online all the time.

Chief_6.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Michelin AT2 is a great tire. I put about 70K Miles one mine and they still looked to have pretty good thread

RammerHarder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If your buying the michelin LTX, make sure its NOT the LTX DEFENDER.
Theres ALOT of BAD reviews on them. Rough ride, shaking, dont last long.

rwreuter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Check out the reviews and warranty on these bad boys, I have them on my truck and they wear well, don't roll in the corners, they don't feel squishy......I tow, do open road driving, rural and city driving. The only thing is they are not very aggressive looking and they can't match A/T tires for traction in the snow or muc.

DUELER H/L ALENZA PLUS

Treadlife Warranty:
5 Years / 80,000 Miles (T- H- & V-Speed Rated) 5 Years / 55,000 Miles (W-Speed Rated)
Uniformity Warranty:
First 1/32" of wear
Workmanship & Materials Warranty:
5 Years / Free replacement first 3 years, then prorated until 2/32" remaining depth.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Bridgestone&tireModel=Dueler+H/L+Alenza+Plus

OP
OP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB 2WD 6sp
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Thanks. Anyone have thoughts on a different size tire as far as looks go? 2/4 drop coming soon.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
If you want to go a little smaller 275 55-20 is a standard size on the 5th gen rams and has been on the f150 and silverado 1/2 tons for quite a few years. Might even be able to find a good set in that size on craigslist used. If you just want a street tire there's nothing wrong with factory take offs. Guys ***** about their SRAs, but if it's a street truck they're a perfectly good tire and P rated tires do ride a bit softer.

OP
OP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB 2WD 6sp
Engine
HEMI 5.7
How about these, or something else that looks sporty? Does anyone run the same diameter but wider rear tires? Is a bigger diameter in the rear a stupid idea?

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
How about these, or something else that looks sporty? Does anyone run the same diameter but wider rear tires? Is a bigger diameter in the rear a stupid idea?
Going a street truck route it would give it a bit of a drag truck look. Not sure how much size difference diameter wise you could go without confusing the traction control. Wider in the back I think would look cool.

OP
OP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB 2WD 6sp
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Thanks. Yes, street truck. I have always dreamed of an old school 2wd street truck....so I want that old school look on my 4th gen.

Of course, I need a faster truck before I can pose lol