Whine noise with acceleration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dbow20

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have been trying to find a whining sound that seems to be coming from near the alternator on my 2014 Cummins. It starts at about 1100 rpm and is there on acceleration and when revving in park. When under the truck it can be herd but is very faint. With my head under the hood it is most noticeable near the alternator/turbo/exhaust manifold area. I used my stethoscope but it all sounds the same I haven’t been able to pin point one located with it.
So far I have checked the bearings on the dive belt system and the alternator bearing sounded like it was bad so I replaced it with a new alternator but the whine is still present. Does the alternator on these trucks always make a little noise as it spins faster? If not where should I look next for the sound?

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
I have been trying to find a whining sound that seems to be coming from near the alternator on my 2014 Cummins. It starts at about 1100 rpm and is there on acceleration and when revving in park. When under the truck it can be herd but is very faint. With my head under the hood it is most noticeable near the alternator/turbo/exhaust manifold area. I used my stethoscope but it all sounds the same I haven’t been able to pin point one located with it.
So far I have checked the bearings on the dive belt system and the alternator bearing sounded like it was bad so I replaced it with a new alternator but the whine is still present. Does the alternator on these trucks always make a little noise as it spins faster? If not where should I look next for the sound?

I’ve wondered this for a while too, my 1500 has always made sort of a turbocharger whine since it was new in mid 2012 (2013 truck) and i just thought it was the transmission screaming. It wasn’t and is coming from the front of the engine. I don’t know what it is, could be the alternator.

Sent from my iPhone XS Max in my 2013 Magnum 4.7L V8

OP
OP
Dbow20

Dbow20

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’ve wondered this for a while too, my 1500 has always made sort of a turbocharger whine since it was new in mid 2012 (2013 truck) and i just thought it was the transmission screaming. It wasn’t and is coming from the front of the engine. I don’t know what it is, could be the alternator.

That’s a a good way to describe the sound! That or a sound similar to power steering pump working hard.

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
That’s a a good way to describe the sound! That or a sound similar to power steering pump working hard.

Exactly. The 65/66/68RFE transmissions only start the pumps in reverse, neutral, or drive, so i don’t think it’s the transmission pumps, etc.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
If you press the brake pedal hard while in park does it make the noise?

One of the hydroboost lines have a habit of the plastic liner coming loose and it can cause a whine noise similar to your complaint.

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8

One of the hydroboost lines have a habit of the plastic liner coming loose and it can cause a whine noise similar to your complaint.

Does this apply to me too?

OP
OP
Dbow20

Dbow20

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Thanks for the suggestion. I just checked and pressing the brake pedal does not replicate the sound. is that hydroboost line on the 2014 trucks? For some reason I though that was on the 12 and older 4th gen trucks

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Thanks for the suggestion. I just checked and pressing the brake pedal does not replicate the sound. is that hydroboost line on the 2014 trucks? For some reason I though that was on the 12 and older 4th gen trucks
If it’s a diesel it has hydroboost, doesn’t matter the year. I’m assuming you had engine running while pressing the brake. If the line is at fault you have to press it fairly hard to get the noise to happen.

If it still doesn’t make the noise, I’d pull the belt off and see if it makes the noise.

OP
OP
Dbow20

Dbow20

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If it’s a diesel it has hydroboost, doesn’t matter the year. I’m assuming you had engine running while pressing the brake. If the line is at fault you have to press it fairly hard to get the noise to happen.

If it still doesn’t make the noise, I’d pull the belt off and see if it makes the noise.

Yes, I know it has hydroboost. The hydroboost lines are different on different year models. I know about the plastic line issue and my truck does not have the same hose that you are referring to. I did start the truck because pressing the pedal without it running would not correctly test your suggestion.

tantore

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
So far I have checked the bearings on the dive belt system and the alternator bearing sounded like it was bad so I replaced it with a new alternator but the whine is still present. Does the alternator on these trucks always make a little noise as it spins faster? If not where should I look next for the sound?[
So far I have checked the bearings on the dive belt system and the alternator bearing sounded like it was bad so I replaced it with a new alternator but the whine is still present. Does the alternator on these trucks always make a little noise as it spins faster? If not where should I look next for the soun
look at the idle pullet near the alternator some times they make the winning noise you refer to

OP
OP
Dbow20

Dbow20

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
look at the idle pullet near the alternator some times they make the winning noise you refer to

Ok, that’s a good idea. I think I’ll pull the belt off tomorrow and see if I can get it to make the sound without it on.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Yes, I know it has hydroboost. The hydroboost lines are different on different year models. I know about the plastic line issue and my truck does not have the same hose that you are referring to. I did start the truck because pressing the pedal without it running would not correctly test your suggestion.

Oh ok, sorry, I mis understood what you were saying. Yes they did change the lines a bit but I’m not 100% sure what was the cut off year. You still see it sometimes on 2013+ trucks but it was a lot more of an issue on 2012 and older.

Jalynsdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L Hemi
My wifes truck is making a whining noise when pressing the gas pedal as well. To me, it sounds like a power steering pump that is low on fluid or about to go out (I know that her truck does not have power steering). Hers is a 2019 classic 3.6. It didn't make this noise when the truck was new but it did after we got it back from the body shop after she hit a cow. I'm going to have to look back over the estimate to see what parts they replaced. Maybe one of the parts that they replaced is what is making the sound.

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
My wifes truck is making a whining noise when pressing the gas pedal as well. To me, it sounds like a power steering pump that is low on fluid or about to go out (I know that her truck does not have power steering). Hers is a 2019 classic 3.6. It didn't make this noise when the truck was new but it did after we got it back from the body shop after she hit a cow. I'm going to have to look back over the estimate to see what parts they replaced. Maybe one of the parts that they replaced is what is making the sound.

Please do, and let us know. Mine has made the sound since new, but i’d like to know. The classics are the exact same as the 4th gens so we’ll see.

OP
OP
Dbow20

Dbow20

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Today I changed out the belt tensioner and idler pulley and there was no change to the whine.

I’m going to check exhaust manifold bolts tomorrow to see if there’s a loose one. If it isn’t a manifold bolt I don’t know what to check next.