Will iDatalink add features my truck doesn't have with factory stereo?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crazycd1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2014 Ram 2500 tradesman that has the very basic stereo, no vehicle settings or bluetooth. I do have a backup camera that is viewed in the rearview mirror. My question will I gain the ability to set any vehicle setting through the stereo or view the oem camera through the aftermarket head unit or would it be a waste of money? I don't have steering wheel controls so that one doesn't matter.

wrench78

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a 2014 Ram 2500 tradesman that has the very basic stereo, no vehicle settings or bluetooth. I do have a backup camera that is viewed in the rearview mirror. My question will I gain the ability to set any vehicle setting through the stereo or view the oem camera through the aftermarket head unit or would it be a waste of money? I don't have steering wheel controls so that one doesn't matter.
While I haven't done this for the Ram. I have used iDatalink on my 2017 Jeep Wrangler. I can tell you what I know from that experience. I was able to view the rear camera on the new aftermarket radio. Just plug the camera end into the aftermarket radio. From my experience with car audio, I would be willing to bet that you will probably loose the ability to have the on screen settings unless the radio is designed to work with the truck. One thing that I do love about the idata link is that you have the ability to reprogram your steering wheel buttons to your liking through the idatalink setup.

PJs97Talon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014/2016
Engine
3.0 and 6.7
No. It won't add features. It simply translates the existing things into the new replacement radio. It could be added via AlfaOBD though once you get the new radio installed. You would need to know what all you wanted to adjust in the new radio and then add it to the BCM via Alfa.

nylonguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I added this to my truck when swapping the radio and I can control the settings just like the factory radio including brake control and stuff. made it easy and it will read check engine light info and tire pressure and door info as well as gauges to.