Looking for the smoothest F&R shocks for my truck...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FullForceRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi 2WD Quad Cab
I currently have the stock shocks on my 14' 2WD - quad cab. It still rides pretty nice but I know with nearing 95K miles it's certainly due for replacement shocks for the front and rear.
Its stock height..

Bilstein are nice as are fox, but are there any others out there that are smooth on the freeway but can handle bumps/potholes on the road?

Thanks.
-Sam

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was testing out suspension parts last year for a friend who owns a 4x4 outfitting company because he wanted to start offering Ram suspension packages. The most compliant shocks I tested were ProComp ProRunner (model numbers started with "ZX" ) - construction quality on them felt pretty nice, good zinc finish, consistent welds on the eyelets. Visually very similar to Bilstein 5100 but in terms of valving and ride feel the Bilsteins are more "GT car" while the ProComps are more "luxury car".

After testing I chose not to continue using the ProComps on my own truck because I prefer the sporty Bilstein feel but I did not have any doubts about the durability or construction quality of the ProComps.

It's my opinion and that the best quality OE-style shocks on the market for any application are built by KYB so for my money when Bilstein's not on the menu either due to my budget or simply not an application Bilstein makes then I go for KYB. Everyone has their favorites that's just been my experience over the years.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Unless it's bouncing all over the road, maybe it doesn't need new shocks (yet). Mileage isn't the determining factor -- condition is. You can do the bounce test. My trucks' shocks are original (165k mi). But it's pretty much a road-going rig. I have one that's started to leak so I'm going to install OEM's when it gets bouncy, probably next summer.

Yeah, I agree....another set of OEM shocks from RockAuto is what I would do. Bilsteins are great, but they're going to be a touch rougher riding. Mostly over every tar strip in the road.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Not Bils, KYB, or Rancho, Have a big tire and small rim 17's and go down on air pressure is a soft ride. Get c rated tires as well, d at the most.

I never tried them but monroe's are known for this, I never tried them because I prefer form ride.

aces-n-eights

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm on another forum for RV's and Koni shocks have a good reputation there. Might be another option to explore.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
BTW, are you planning on running stock tires and wheels? Are you looking mostly highway, or is there some off-roading in your future? All these factors ought to be considered.

bigred90gt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I replaced my worn out OEM shocks with KYB Excel G shocks and it made an amazing difference. Night and day. They were relatively cheap and are incredibly smooth riding. I also have a 2wd and bought this particular truck purely because of the ride quality. I plan to keep it that way, and these did the trick.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
personally I really like Fox 2.0's. 5100's are a bit too firm for my liking.

let me know if we can offer a quote on anything. We offer most options