2004 Ram doesn't like ot shift into drive

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

snowplowdog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have an 04 Ram with the 5.7 in it. Lately when I shift into drive from either park, neutral, or reverse it lags a few seconds and then seems like it goes into gear rather hard. Once it's in drive it seems to run fine. Shifts through the gears fine, has plenty of power, shift when it's supposed to, it's just when you're shifting into drive. I thought maybe the fluid was low but when I checked it, it was fine. Any ideas what might cause this?

Williammoody150

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Did you ever get this issue figured out? I have the same year model truck doing the same thing

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Did you ever get this issue figured out? I have the same year model truck doing the same thing
Is it when you first start it? I know on older rams if you fire it up and put it right into drive it takes a second better to let it run a min or so.

Williammoody150

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Is it when you first start it? I know on older rams if you fire it up and put it right into drive it takes a second better to let it run a min or so.
No, this is when it is warm as well. I had it started today for a good hour or so and every time I would shift into drive it would delay and shift into Drive hard.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No, this is when it is warm as well. I had it started today for a good hour or so and every time I would shift into drive it would delay and shift into Drive hard.
when is the last time ya changed the trans fluid/filter.