2012 ram stalling and wont stay running

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jacob19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
so a couple months ago i was leaving the store and came up to a stop sign and my truck started to stumbled then died. couldnt really keep it running after that. i had a p0175 and p0172. i have replaced pretty much every sensor everyone has said to replace and nothing and im just at a loss.
also fuel pressure checked out good

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Did you do a compression test just for the hell of it not many things will keep these from running does it try to start? like do u hear it kick.

OP
OP
J

Jacob19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i have not done a compression test but i can get it to run and kind of stay running if i press the gas when starting and keep it over probably 1500rpm

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
How exactly did you check fuel pressure? scan tool or hooked one in line?

OP
OP
J

Jacob19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
for sure do a compression test aswell as check for vacuum leaks do you remember what the pSI was for the fuel pump?
59psi and i have replaced the pump in this thing twice

mrack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pull the valve covers and check for a broken valve spring, then turn the motor over and make sure all the rocker arms are moving properly (if not you have a lifter issue). Doesn’t align with the codes you have but both very common issues, worth checking and you’ll have the coils off anyways to check compression

OP
OP
J

Jacob19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pull the valve covers and check for a broken valve spring, then turn the motor over and make sure all the rocker arms are moving properly (if not you have a lifter issue). Doesn’t align with the codes you have but both very common issues, worth checking and you’ll have the coils off anyways to check compression
i did my cam and lifters a couple years back but ill check compression and the valve springs this week and let y'all know

OP
OP
J

Jacob19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
sorry been super busy but i tried running it with no air filter and it didn't change anything and i did a compression test on just the driver's side just because audibly thats where it doesnt sound like it runs great and 1,3 and 7 were about 120psi and i couldnt get anything out of 5 so at some point im gonna have to pull the valve cover and see whats going on

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
sorry been super busy but i tried running it with no air filter and it didn't change anything and i did a compression test on just the driver's side just because audibly thats where it doesnt sound like it runs great and 1,3 and 7 were about 120psi and i couldnt get anything out of 5 so at some point im gonna have to pull the valve cover and see whats going on
If you have no compression on 5 it either dropped a valve seat and or Threw a rocker off or the valve lifter sometimes goes bad very common pull valve cover for sure dont keep running it like this.

OP
OP
J

Jacob19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you have no compression on 5 it either dropped a valve seat and or Threw a rocker off or the valve lifter sometimes goes bad very common pull valve cover for sure dont keep running it like this.
so i pulled the drivers side valve cover and found i have a broken valve spring on 5 so i guess ill be fixing that and probably going to double check the passenger side since I'm already going to be in there

Ken226

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
so i pulled the drivers side valve cover and found i have a broken valve spring on 5 so i guess ill be fixing that and probably going to double check the passenger side since I'm already going to be in there

Out of curiousity, how many miles on your truck?

OP
OP
J

Jacob19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
update its running on it own now but now its running really lean, i didnt drive it to long after i fixed it so idk if i just need to drive it more first to it can adjust itself or what

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Since you had a busted valve spring, might be good to do a compression test on that cylinder, incase something got bent.