2016 RAM Uconnect upgrade for Android Auto

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JEFFREY W WHEALEN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
2016 RAM 1500 Laramie with SXM and Navigation

I have read a lot of threads, but they go in all different directions. I'm looking to upgrade my radio to get Android Auto and Car Play functionality. I have a line on a local 2019 Truck with the UAS radio and center console with lid. I was looking to purchase the radio and center console so I can have a clean install of the new media hub.

Will this plug and play? Do I still need an adapter harness for the media hub? Do I need to program anything to the truck?

Thanks in advance.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
You'may still need an adapter for the console lid if the wiring doesn't line up or need to use the old harness. @Mpgrimm2 might know if an adapter is needed.
There is nothing that is needed to be programmed. The radio will plug in and the read the config from the BCM

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
What Gen of 2019 truck?
4th Gen Classic = ok
5th Gen = issues

OP
OP
J

JEFFREY W WHEALEN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
I thought about one of these on eBay that is cheaper but then I still have to get media hub and I'm all about OEM fitment. That means the media hub won't fit well in the center console

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
OP
OP
J

JEFFREY W WHEALEN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
I just had another potential customer think they were getting a classic 18/19-21 4c radio and got stuck with it.
Do I still need a conversion harness if I get the center console with new media hub?

LumberJakl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L 4X4
Do I still need a conversion harness if I get the center console with new media hub?

You don't really need the harness/hub upgrade if you don't intending of using Android Auto / Apply Play or have fast charging. You can easily use the Bluetooth the play your music/maps, pretty much everyone has Bluetooth connected for the Calling
The 8.4 will say 'Hub not supported' but all functions of the 8.4 will work , but you will loose the USB plugins.

You can do what this thread did and redneck the cable from the truck to plugin into the new hub , and you'll have it working

Last edited:

Fake-Account27

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
I went with the crutchfield route in my 2018 truck. New head unit and they sell everything else you need in one package.

We have a 2018 Pacifica minivan and I am not sold on the earlier generation uconnect's. We had a lot of issues with ours and ended up needing the dealer to reflash it. However, it has been fine since then.

OP
OP
J

JEFFREY W WHEALEN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
I want to keep the uconnect features. I use it for remote start and what not.

LumberJakl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L 4X4
I want to keep the uconnect features. I use it for remote start and what not.
I am not sure if you can use the uconnect subscription with the new 8.4 (I dont use / care for it) , I'd suspect a lot of sensors and system information from the trucks main computers wont be able to properly communicated with the updated hardware