2018 Ram 2500 6.4 hemi slt weird rattling noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

04fxdwgi

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Carquest brand filter. I changed it out and refilled and it’s still having the noise and shifts like crap so I’d say it’s gonna need a transmission. Plus I did find metal shavings in the pan on it
Thank you

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I bought it from a dealership but they won’t help with anything. They didn’t even do an oil change or anything on it like they said they did or even have it detailed when I was in the process of getting it. But they put on the paperwork they did a full service on it , which was not done I had to do the oil change and detail it myself. They wouldn’t even offer a warranty on it besides the 30 day warranty on it and when I had the first issue with the heat not working they wouldn’t do anything about it and it was Under there 30 day warranty. But as far as trying to find a shop that would finance a unit doesn’t look like an option I’m already in debt with this truck so no one would consider letting me finance a transmission or anything at this point. I mean I’m ahead 2 months on payments but there’s no more wiggle room with finances to do anything besides keep the payments and insurance on it at this point I’ve been looking at different options but at this point I’m pretty much dead in the water
When you say "dealership." is that a new car dealership or a used car dealership?

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 111012 miles.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thank you
Carquest is often a price leader brand found at new car dealerships, especially where free oil changes are offered as part of a sales enhancement program, and for servicing used cars.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 111012 miles.

OP
OP
L

Lb29

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Update; had to have transmission replaced, warranty did cover it. But warranty company couldn’t get a dealership to put it in. They had to have a small repair shop, replace it took them 4 months. Just got it back and not happy at all, it’s leaking fluid and barely wants to move. I found several bolts on transmission, that were loose and noticed where the transfer case and transmission meet was still loose. Tighten all that up. Still barely leaking fluid, not enough to hurt the level. I go to put it into gear and try to accelerate, it hesitates and makes a slight weird noise not sure what it is, nothing like before. Then it jolts to take off, but lacks power to real wheels, feels like it’s being held back like I’m towing something behind it. I can mash the pedal and it just gradually increases speed it won’t run wide open like it used to before the transmission acted up. Any ideas on what could the shop have done wrong ? Reason I’m asking on here, instead of taking it back to the shop, is the guy won’t return calls and has been avoiding me and warranty company. And warranty company told me to just fix it myself

Last edited:

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Thanks crazy... sorry to hear about the troubles but it's good news the warranty company covered it in the first place. They are on the hook to get it resolved. Sounds like they definitely went with the low bidder. Sounds like the guy couldn't even have test driven it!

OP
OP
L

Lb29

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What insurance company do you have? They should still honor the warranty and go after the shop that did the **** poor job. I would be on the phone with them until they got it fixed properly.
Warranty company is carshield, they said to find some other shop to look at it. But issue with that is no shop will work with that warranty company I’ve called every dealership in the area and no one wants to mess with them or go behind someone else’s mess up.

OP
OP
L

Lb29

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks crazy... sorry to hear about the troubles but it's good news the warranty company covered it in the first place. They are on the hook to get it resolved. Sounds like they definitely went with the low bidder. Sounds like the guy couldn't even have test driven it!
It wasn’t really a low bidder, it was the fact they were the only shop that would take the warranty I have. The warranty company sent me to that shop. I think he didn’t change the torque converter is what it acts like.

aszumilo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Would they reimburse you if you paid out of pocket to have it fixed right?

You should also be able to log into your carshield account and search for their preferred repair facilities.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
It wasn’t really a low bidder, it was the fact they were the only shop that would take the warranty I have.

And how do you think they made that list? This is how aftermarket warranties operate. The fact that they accepted your claim is fantastic and you should consider yourself EXTREMELY lucky for anything you get.

OP
OP
L

Lb29

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Would they reimburse you if you paid out of pocket to have it fixed right?

You should also be able to log into your carshield account and search for their preferred repair facilities.
No they won’t reimburse me, unless I file another claim with them and go through the whole process again. And as far as there preferred repair shops are the same ones I’ve already dealt with and one other shop in my area which the other shop his the guy who messed it up in the first places cousin so I wouldn’t trust that one either.

OP
OP
L

Lb29

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Aside, from the bolts loose and little bit of leaking fluid, I think the issue with it is , the shop left the same torque converter in it instead of changing it, when they put the remanufactured transmission in it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

Lb29

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
And how do you think they made that list? This is how aftermarket warranties operate. The fact that they accepted your claim is fantastic and you should consider yourself EXTREMELY lucky for anything you get.

Yea I agree I’m lucky, lucky enough to have the shop, that they prefer and recommended me to go to, screw me and charge for some work that they didn’t do right in the first place. Ended up paying, way more than just my deductible and then some and still having issues with it. Funny thing is warranty company can’t understand, why I had to pay the shop that much, to get my truck back, when they were supposed to cover most of it. Then they were sent a bill for some of the same things, that I payed for already, so the shop is committing fraud, but warranty company has not been able to get ahold, of the guy at all for several weeks now.

J-13GTP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
I'm real sorry to hear about your luck. Carsheild in my opinion works more like insurance. If your paying them I would consider stopping payment and put that towards fixing your issue. There's a reason shops wont miss with them.

About your trans. Did the shop use a remanufactured trans or a used one? If its a reman then you may have a warranty there. More then likely a used one was sourced as that would have been cheaper and using your original torque convertor would be cheaper still. Problem with the original torque convertor could be at fault or it may have been filled with junk from the original trans which then got pumped into your newish trans. Either way I would try talking with the original shop that did it maybe a deal could be worked out. Also some salvage yards will warranty used parts for a length of time.

Good luck.

OP
OP
L

Lb29

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm real sorry to hear about your luck. Carsheild in my opinion works more like insurance. If your paying them I would consider stopping payment and put that towards fixing your issue. There's a reason shops wont miss with them.

About your trans. Did the shop use a remanufactured trans or a used one? If its a reman then you may have a warranty there. More then likely a used one was sourced as that would have been cheaper and using your original torque convertor would be cheaper still. Problem with the original torque convertor could be at fault or it may have been filled with junk from the original trans which then got pumped into your newish trans. Either way I would try talking with the original shop that did it maybe a deal could be worked out. Also some salvage yards will warranty used parts for a length of time.

Good luck.
Finally spoke with the shop, they put a reman transmission and torque converter in it. The tech said he has no idea why it’s acting up, and he’s not responsible for any of the faults. All he did was took the old transmission and torque converter out. And installed the one that warranty company bought and shipped to him. Which was a reman. Then he towed the truck to a dealer to have it programmed. He said unless the dealer that programmed it missed an update or something he has no clue.

J-13GTP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
What reman company did it? Its possible to get in touch with them or find a another dealer/ installer through them. If its a reputable reman company they should be able to help you and it should be under warranty.

Even thou, I would think the shop should take it back. If they installed it then the warranty from the reman company should cover their labor. Its that or you'll need to find an new installer that works with the reman company

OP
OP
L

Lb29

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What reman company did it? Its possible to get in touch with them or find a another dealer/ installer through them. If its a reputable reman company they should be able to help you and it should be under warranty.

Even thou, I would think the shop should take it back. If they installed it then the warranty from the reman company should cover their labor. Its that or you'll need to find an new installer that works with the reman company
The shop said they wouldn’t work on it ever again. Since I complained they said I’m the first one ever to complain about their work so they are refusing to do anything about it. And the reman company is in another state not exactly sure because the shop or warranty company never gave me a copy of the warranty from the reman company so idk the warranty company told me it came from national auto parts warehouse is all I know. Literally the only thing I have is a receipt, from the shop that didn’t show much of anything, other than what they charged me for. Which was labor, filter, fluid and hazmat disposal and shop fees. Which according to carshield I shouldn’t had to have paid for labor they covered that. But he charged me for labor plus he charged carshield for it as well. Nothing showed anything on the transmission at all.

Last edited:

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
And installed the one that warranty company bought and shipped to him. Which was a reman. Then he towed the truck to a dealer to have it programmed.
This is crazy.... so he didn't even test drive it? Putting myself in his shoes I'd have driven it to document it's problematic to avoid having the finger pointed at me like it is now.

I can somewhat see the shop's case since they did not participate in sourcing the part.

OP, you might want to at least start looking for an attorney familiar with vehicle laws. The warranty company has essentially accepted liability by accepting your claim. Make sure you are keeping track of all your expenses and keeping a good log of communications and timeline. That stuff is huge in things like this.

OP
OP
L

Lb29

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Another major issue, when I was leaving work I tapped the accelerator, and I had to throw it in neutral, it hit 7 grand on the rpm gauge almost went through the shop I work at throttle stuck wide open I killed it and let it sit and started it back up and it acted normal. This thing is definitely not right at all. I almost died in it just a little bit ago had I not thrown it in neutral.

OP
OP
L

Lb29

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This is crazy.... so he didn't even test drive it? Putting myself in his shoes I'd have driven it to document it's problematic to avoid having the finger pointed at me like it is now.

I can somewhat see the shop's case since they did not participate in sourcing the part.

OP, you might want to at least start looking for an attorney familiar with vehicle laws. The warranty company has essentially accepted liability by accepting your claim. Make sure you are keeping track of all your expenses and keeping a good log of communications and timeline. That stuff is huge in things like this.
He did test drive it, from the dealership that programmed it which is about a 30 minute drive from his shop on interstate. He said it drove normal.