2023 5.7L V8 HEMI MDS VVT eTorque Engine 3.21 Rear Axle Ratio

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Thanks for the reply! Yeah first time tower with 6,500 lbs behind me. Lol I never even paid attn to the temperature (noted) Yeah it's the engine rpm's making me think I'm asking too much. Torque tows a trailer (noted) Yes was trying to keep it 2k rpm's towing with the Hemi V8 etorque. Ok so if it pops up to 4k rpm's not a big deal and nothing to worry about it seems. Again first time tower with 6,500 lbs. Yeah sounds like the EcoDiesel may have been a better choice for me. But I'l hang onto this truck for a while since I just bought it lol prefer not to lose $10k immediately on trade in.

How long can I be between 3k and 4k rpms running with this engine and everything still totally fine? Also would you reccomend I leave tow mode on the entire time? Any reason to take it out of tow mode occasionally or just on 100% of the time? Thanks in advance for the thoughts!

That is normal for gas engine. Hemi can handle it.
If your going be in hot weather, I would watch temps, otherwise it's fine.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Also keep in mind the Hemi is much stronger than the EcoDiesel. Even though it's down on torque, it has a lot more HP. What this means is that the diesel will tow longer at lower RPMs, but if you need max acceleration the hemi is still quicker especially in the city and highway speeds; the little ecodiesel runs out of power quickly at highway speeds whereas the hemi keeps pulling and pulling.

Pros and Cons. The eco diesel is slightly less "busy" with less downshifts, but the hemi will still tow more and tow it faster, but with more "drama".

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
How long can I be between 3k and 4k rpms running with this engine and everything still totally fine?
If the engine isn't getting hot, then let it spin all day long. It's a truck engine, they know people are going to tow with them so they're designed to deal with hours at high rpms. If it starts running near the hot side just back off the go pedal, cruising at 65 is good cruising speed for fuel economy and safety. Keep in mind that at 65 mph you traveling a football field in 3 seconds, that gives you about a second to decide what to do and another second to react to something 300' away.
Upper limits for coolant is pushing 230°F and for engine oil is 260°F. The transmission should stay below the engine coolant temp.
Use a good high quality full synthetic engine oil.

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've read this whole thread, are you using Tow/Haul when on flat surface and especially hills, It locks out the upper gears in the transmission for better pulling a load.

man n black

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
The OP saying he was uncomfortable running 50 - 60 mph when most traffic is running faster is a genuine concern and will be on most Interstate highways that criss cross our country. While we are not the foremost authority on towing with a Ram, we have successfully towed a trailer across this great land and Canada many times....

Here's my recent .02c on the subject: https://www.ramforum.com/threads/towing-camping-trailer.200131/post-2800897

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you purchased the current truck only for towing, your fine with the current axle ratio. If you plan on using it for basic transportation as well, you'll find you'll appreciate the 3.23 axle ratio more.

One side comment: based on what you stated for towing weights, aren't you close to the 1500s tow rating now?

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 92724 miles.

farout75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L
Hey ya'll this is my first post and super happy to have found the community. Bought a 2023 RAM (engine specs in title) and towed my new 2022 Grand Design MK200 travel trailer from TX to GA about ~1,000 miles. I've read some of the posts here and I've found what you guys have said to be extremely accurate, specifically the part about with a 3.21 rear axle ratio in the 1500 how it is most efficient at towing speeds 48-57 MPH. I set my cruise control at 57 MPH on all flat dry roads, could hit 60 MPH on a downhill, and had to back it down to either 54 MPH, 52 MPH, or 50 MPH on all hill climbs depending on steepness of the grade. As others have said here I'm just a little uncomfortable with 57 MPH being my top highway speed pulling this 6,500 lb trailer. Lots of highways with 70 MPH limits and I'm in the far right lane (or sometimes one lane with a line of unhappy people behind me) going 50 crawling up the moderately gentle hills coming into GA. I feel I'd never have a chance at ever taking the trailer to Colorado, Oregon, or even North Carolina where the hills will only get more aggressive. I mean, what would i do crawl up more agressive hills at 35/40 MPH in 70 MPH speed limits? Just feels like I need a bit more power here.

Basically reading that the 3.92 rear axle ratio is more efficient at 58-70 MPH which sounds awesome to be able to maintain 65 MPH and have the truck feeling happy to do so and maintain it. So thinking about just swapping trucks to get the 3.92 rear axle ratio in hopes of maintaining 65 MPH highway speeds. Also read I will lose a little mpg but that's ok. Only other option I'm considering is going for the diesel, but I see most have tow capacity of around 9,600 lbs in the 3.92 rear axle ratio. That's not much more tow capacity than I have right now at 8,200 lbs. If I stick to regular gas and go for the 3.92 I get 11,200 tow capacity.

I'm pretty close to just going out and swapping for my exact same Ram truck (2023 5.7L V8 HEMI MDS VVT eTorque Engine) but just doing a 3.92 rear axle instead of the current 3.21. Anything I'm missing here or fairly spot on? ** FYI I know I could push my current 3.21 past 57 MPH it just felt like 57 MPH was it's happy zone to maintain on flat roads. Anytime I pushed past that, it did it, it just felt like I was asking a bit too much from the vehicle. Any thoughts appreciated and thanks form a first time Ram owner!
To change out the 3:21 gears to the 3:92 is not cheap, if your paying someone else to do it. I have had two 5.7 RAMS and my 17 has the 3:92, and the 13 RAM had the 3:21. Frankly the difference just is not worth it. You really need a 2500 RAM. The mpg difference between the 3:21 and the 3:92 is significant. I always got 19 to 22 with the 3:21 and the 3:92 I get 16 in the winter and 17.5 in the warner temps. Which I think just is not worth it. The 2500 is made for towing your trailer . You will get pretty good mpg in a 2500 and towing will be a breeze! Don't waste your money changing gears!

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
You really need a 2500 RAM.
Really?? For a trailer that's gross is under 7K lbs? Are you feeling generous and going to pony up the money for OP to swap to a 2500? Let alone he'll have to deal with the crap ride of a 2500 while daily driving the truck.
If you would have bothered to read the thread (see post #11) you would have realized the "problem" was the OP wasn't expecting the higher rpms of the engine while towing. It's a common misconception by newbies to towing with a gasser.

Floyd1979

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No water weight whatsoever I empty all tanks before I pull. I've only pulled from TX to GA so far and planning/ hoping to head to NC, CO, and OR. I do leave the propane tanks on the trailer when I pull, should I take those off the trailer and put in truck bed? As long as I have Payload available for that?
Had a 2009 hemi , 3.21 . 6 speed transmission.
As others have said , once on the road not much difference on flat roads .
Going up steep grade’s pulling my TT 6300#’s , it would Scream up the hill
Get flat and RPM’s go back down .
I PUT 442,150 miles on that Hemi original power train .

Your truck is pulling a 6,000 brick with parachute.

I special ordered 2015 Longhorn Ecodiesel, 3.92 , Rambox , air suspension, 4wd .
The WORST ENGINE EVER !!!

Pull your TT , 62-65 mph .
Good equalizer hitch ( I use Equalizer 4-point .)

Get tire monitoring for TT.

Hackett

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi etorque
Hey ya'll this is my first post and super happy to have found the community. Bought a 2023 RAM (engine specs in title) and towed my new 2022 Grand Design MK200 travel trailer from TX to GA about ~1,000 miles. I've read some of the posts here and I've found what you guys have said to be extremely accurate, specifically the part about with a 3.21 rear axle ratio in the 1500 how it is most efficient at towing speeds 48-57 MPH. I set my cruise control at 57 MPH on all flat dry roads, could hit 60 MPH on a downhill, and had to back it down to either 54 MPH, 52 MPH, or 50 MPH on all hill climbs depending on steepness of the grade. As others have said here I'm just a little uncomfortable with 57 MPH being my top highway speed pulling this 6,500 lb trailer. Lots of highways with 70 MPH limits and I'm in the far right lane (or sometimes one lane with a line of unhappy people behind me) going 50 crawling up the moderately gentle hills coming into GA. I feel I'd never have a chance at ever taking the trailer to Colorado, Oregon, or even North Carolina where the hills will only get more aggressive. I mean, what would i do crawl up more agressive hills at 35/40 MPH in 70 MPH speed limits? Just feels like I need a bit more power here.

Basically reading that the 3.92 rear axle ratio is more efficient at 58-70 MPH which sounds awesome to be able to maintain 65 MPH and have the truck feeling happy to do so and maintain it. So thinking about just swapping trucks to get the 3.92 rear axle ratio in hopes of maintaining 65 MPH highway speeds. Also read I will lose a little mpg but that's ok. Only other option I'm considering is going for the diesel, but I see most have tow capacity of around 9,600 lbs in the 3.92 rear axle ratio. That's not much more tow capacity than I have right now at 8,200 lbs. If I stick to regular gas and go for the 3.92 I get 11,200 tow capacity.

I'm pretty close to just going out and swapping for my exact same Ram truck (2023 5.7L V8 HEMI MDS VVT eTorque Engine) but just doing a 3.92 rear axle instead of the current 3.21. Anything I'm missing here or fairly spot on? ** FYI I know I could push my current 3.21 past 57 MPH it just felt like 57 MPH was it's happy zone to maintain on flat roads. Anytime I pushed past that, it did it, it just felt like I was asking a bit too much from the vehicle. Any thoughts appreciated and thanks form a first time Ram owner!
I found myself in the exact same spot as you. I had a 2020 2wd with 3.21 and wasnt happy while towing. I went and trdaed for a 2021 4wd with 3.92, 33 gal tank, air suspension Limited and couldnt be happier. I travel Interstates all the time and set cruise at 65 and its like it not even there. (5.7). Good luck.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
AZ - 83 Miles SW of the Geographical Center
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Really?? For a trailer that's gross is under 7K lbs? Are you feeling generous and going to pony up the money for OP to swap to a 2500? Let alone he'll have to deal with the crap ride of a 2500 while daily driving the truck.
If you would have bothered to read the thread (see post #11) you would have realized the "problem" was the OP wasn't expecting the higher rpms of the engine while towing. It's a common misconception by newbies to towing with a gasser.
My 2500 is my daily driver and it rides just fine.

OP
OP
A

AndoTX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 HEMI MDS VVT eTorque
I've read this whole thread, are you using Tow/Haul when on flat surface and especially hills, It locks out the upper gears in the transmission for better pulling a load.
That was my next question! When and how to use tow/haul mode. I started by having it on 100% of the time at first but then a guy at the dealership told me I really only need it when climbing step hills. So toward ther end of a 1,000 mile pull I started trying that, just being in tow/haul mode to get up hills and then taking it out of tow/haul mode for flat roads or on downhills.

OP
OP
A

AndoTX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you purchased the current truck only for towing, your fine with the current axle ratio. If you plan on using it for basic transportation as well, you'll find you'll appreciate the 3.23 axle ratio more.

One side comment: based on what you stated for towing weights, aren't you close to the 1500s tow rating now?

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 92724 miles.
Its an 8,200 tow rating (3.21 rear axle ratio) and I'm towing 6,500 lbs at the moment.

Rbertalotto

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
I've had 1500 series trucks with the 5.7.....In my estimation, terrible tow vehicles towing my 7000 small camping trailer. Horrible out west, blowing its brains out to even do 35mph up the mountains! I stepped up to a 2021, 6.4L, 8 speed......Night and day difference! I've towed over 30K milkes with it everywhere in the USA. 10.5mpg and it never even breaths hard on the mountains out west. I smile all the time when not towing on what an amazing ride a 3/4 ton pickup with 3300# payload rating has. Friends with Ford and GMC 2500 can't believe the ride...Love those coil springs......"There is simply no substitute for cubic inches!"

OP
OP
A

AndoTX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
To change out the 3:21 gears to the 3:92 is not cheap, if your paying someone else to do it. I have had two 5.7 RAMS and my 17 has the 3:92, and the 13 RAM had the 3:21. Frankly the difference just is not worth it. You really need a 2500 RAM. The mpg difference between the 3:21 and the 3:92 is significant. I always got 19 to 22 with the 3:21 and the 3:92 I get 16 in the winter and 17.5 in the warner temps. Which I think just is not worth it. The 2500 is made for towing your trailer . You will get pretty good mpg in a 2500 and towing will be a breeze! Don't waste your money changing gears!
Thanks for the thoughts! Yeah my Uncle tows a 27ft ~7,200 lb trailer with a Ford 250 Diesel and says it's a breeze. I usually go somewhere for 1-2 months so my thought on trying the 1500 was that sometimes 30 to 60 days in a row I'm not towing so I was trying to get the 17/21 mpg as a daily driver. Most the guys here are saying not too much difference between the 3.21 and 3.92 so that's that. Only other thing I am still moderately considering is the 1500 EcoDiesel. it gets 9,600 lb tow and comes with mandatory 3.92 rear axle ratio. It claims 21/29 mpg but obs buying diesel gas. Was thinking the rpm's may not be as hectic and all over the place when towing based on feedback from everyone here.

OP
OP
A

AndoTX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Had a 2009 hemi , 3.21 . 6 speed transmission.
As others have said , once on the road not much difference on flat roads .
Going up steep grade’s pulling my TT 6300#’s , it would Scream up the hill
Get flat and RPM’s go back down .
I PUT 442,150 miles on that Hemi original power train .

Your truck is pulling a 6,000 brick with parachute.

I special ordered 2015 Longhorn Ecodiesel, 3.92 , Rambox , air suspension, 4wd .
The WORST ENGINE EVER !!!

Pull your TT , 62-65 mph .
Good equalizer hitch ( I use Equalizer 4-point .)

Get tire monitoring for TT.
Ah I was considering the EcoDiesel!!! Not a good move for towing 6,500 lbs you think? Any chance the later more recent ones got better after 2020 when they redid the engine?

OP
OP
A

AndoTX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I found myself in the exact same spot as you. I had a 2020 2wd with 3.21 and wasnt happy while towing. I went and trdaed for a 2021 4wd with 3.92, 33 gal tank, air suspension Limited and couldnt be happier. I travel Interstates all the time and set cruise at 65 and its like it not even there. (5.7). Good luck.
Yes that's my exact situation!! Basically just thinking to trade for the 3.92. I don't think I'm ready for the 2500 yet thats just a beast of a truck lol. plus I tow like once a month maybe so the rest of time is daily driver. Only other thing I was considering is a 2020 year or later EcoDiesel. I'd jump from current 8200 tow to a 9600 tow which seems good, and everyone here is telling me the Diesel will be way less frantic on the rpms and kinda just chill around 2k when my current gasser is around 4k rpms. Really appreciate your feedback.

OP
OP
A

AndoTX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've had 1500 series trucks with the 5.7.....In my estimation, terrible tow vehicles towing my 7000 small camping trailer. Horrible out west, blowing its brains out to even do 35mph up the mountains! I stepped up to a 2021, 6.4L, 8 speed......Night and day difference! I've towed over 30K milkes with it everywhere in the USA. 10.5mpg and it never even breaths hard on the mountains out west. I smile all the time when not towing on what an amazing ride a 3/4 ton pickup with 3300# payload rating has. Friends with Ford and GMC 2500 can't believe the ride...Love those coil springs......"There is simply no substitute for cubic inches!"
Ok so another strong advocate to just step up from the 1500 to the 2500 here it seems! Yeah that's exactly what I was afraid of 35mph around mountains having the thing screaming to get up hills. Was the 2500 you stepped up to a Diesel reg gas?

Silver21Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 etorque
No one who buys a truck for towing gives even the slightest thought to MPG. :cool:
Anyone who buys a Ram Hemi is more concerned with speed and performance and no thought of gas cost and miles per gallon. (I'm getting the usual 11 mpg around town).
This guy only needs to get the right foot down and drive according to conditions and posted speed vs rpm worries.
Towing safely means getting up on the wheel and getting down the road.

Ratman6161

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
My 2500 is my daily driver and it rides just fine.
"Fine" is a matter of perspective. I find mine acceptable, particularly since it will spend about 80% of its life towing, but a 1500 definitely rides better. I got the 2500 for stability and getting myself to a place where I had so much excess capacity for my 7600# trailer that I don't need to spend time worrying about the weight. As far as the original concern about the engine spinning at higher RPMs, the 6.4 in the 2500 isnt any different. Ive just quit worrying about that too. :)