2023 ram 5.7 hemi oil life monitor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HemiSue

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I noticed my 2023 1500 5.7 BH owners manual admonished me to get an oil change within 500 miles of my oil life monitor activating the dash idiot light,( i don’t intend to wait this long but am simply curious), but was wondering if anyone can tell me at what point/percentage does the warning light get activated. Is it at 0%? - 10%?…..thanks in advance to all who reply

rvance

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pent 3.6
Been changing mine according to the OLM, every 10k miles, now have almost 186,000 miles on my '15 SLT.
As do I. The oil looks good at 10k miles in my 3.6. If I had the Hemi, I would probably replace it every 5k because of what I've heard on this forum. I have noticed over the last 20 or so years, that 90% of the problems show up on the Internet. The successes, you don't hear about. I do use full synthetic oils.

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
As do I. The oil looks good at 10k miles in my 3.6. If I had the Hemi, I would probably replace it every 5k because of what I've heard on this forum. I have noticed over the last 20 or so years, that 90% of the problems show up on the Internet. The successes, you don't hear about. I do use full synthetic oils.
I probably should change it more often. But I do live here in FLatistan, so no hills to speak of, until I get up in the Carolinas to see family once or twice a year. I also don't haul alot, or tow a boat. I do haul ass occasionally, though. :Big Laugh: It is a hemi, after all.

farout75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L
I noticed my 2023 1500 5.7 BH owners manual admonished me to get an oil change within 500 miles of my oil life monitor activating the dash idiot light,( i don’t intend to wait this long but am simply curious), but was wondering if anyone can tell me at what point/percentage does the warning light get activated. Is it at 0%? - 10%?…..thanks in advance to all who reply
Change oil every 6,000 mile and after 150,000 miles go to 5,000 miles. Oil is cheaper than a engine rebuild.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It appears to be based mostly on engine rev counts, although I've also read it does count load somehow. I had the official Ram technical description document but I can no longer find it.

I used the 10K maintenance strategy on my 2014, so I depended on the Oil Life Management system to alert me. Over the five years I owned the vehicle the OLM indication came on at different mileage, so it's not just a mileage count as some claim. That vehicle had the the 3.92 axle.

My 2019 has the 3.23 axle and in the first four years has given me and oil change indication at 9500 miles each time. I believe its because it just turns less RPMs per mile because of the lower axle ratio.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 110358 miles.

DA Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Here's how I change my oil I change it and filter every 4-k miles. I know that the new synthetic is supposed to go way many more miles than that but honestly I don't care. I like it changed at 4-k and I know for sure it's not hurting anything and my Hemi Loves it. Those that will say I'm wasting money don't worry about it because I'm not worrying about it. I have the cleanest in Town Lol !

Jerrybob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Full syn oil change and filter every 6K........my two cents.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Here's how I change my oil I change it and filter every 4-k miles. I know that the new synthetic is supposed to go way many more miles than that but honestly I don't care. I like it changed at 4-k and I know for sure it's not hurting anything and my Hemi Loves it. Those that will say I'm wasting money don't worry about it because I'm not worrying about it. I have the cleanest in Town Lol !
Auto and lubrication engineers seem to be uniform in their belief that today's top synthetic blends will go the distance of 10,000 miles, depending on operating conditions. Since I do not have access to all of the lubricant engineering data, I am putting significant trust into those opinions. Besides, if I did experience a failure how would I prove it was oil related?

My exception to the policy of extended oil changes using the best blend of oil, I have more recently adopted a strategy of short engine oil filter changes. Oil formulas today are much more advanced than oils of a decade ago, but despite the ability to retain film strength and stay in grade much longer (yes, I know some additives will disperse more rapidly) engine oil still picks up contaminants. Hence my 5K filter changes.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 110406 miles.