2024 2500 Cummins with 200 miles, loud chirp

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bettercallsal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Hey guys, just picked up my truck this week. Everything was great until around 200 miles I started to get a loud chirp from the belt area on a cold start. It goes away after 10-15 minutes, increases with RPM, and doesn't change with AC on or off. To me it sounds like a bad bearing in a pulley or maybe a belt issue since it seems to go away when warm. Anyone experience something similar?

The dealer I bought it from is 2 hours from my house. They offered to come pick it up and give me a loaner, but seems like a big hassle and a lot of time if it is going to just be a belt or something that needs to wear in. Other option is to take it to a local dealer.

Last edited:

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I mean I'd let the dealer take it and try to find the issue on a truck with 200 miles. You COULD try applying some dawn dish soap or belt dressing to see if it takes care of it, but I'd let the dealer try first.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Sounds like a belt chirping, a bad bearing sound isn't going to go away after a few minutes. I'd let the dealer take it but it could go away on its own, I'd get it checked anyway.

OP
OP
B

bettercallsal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Thanks. I ended up making an appointment at a local dealer for next Wednesday. I did another 40 miles on the truck. Noise is still there and seems to be getting louder on cold starts. I also now hear a quiet version of it when it is warm.

OP
OP
B

bettercallsal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Just an update, today I noticed oil spots on my concrete garage floor. I got under the truck and saw oil leaking from what appear to be the rear main. Truck currently has 300 miles on it. Service appointment is on Wednesday.

I’m pretty pissed off.

IMG_8150.jpeg

British Bulldog

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 etorque
So would I be! 300 miles? At least they can’t deny warranty lol.
I had a belt problem on VERY cold start up on a Ram 5.7 several years ago. Many attempts, they never did find it. Traded in after 4 years, same dealer I bought it from and same dealer who couldn’t find it. I said nothing……..after all, they kept telling me no fault found!

Choupique

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I’m pretty pissed off.

Very understandable. For what these things cost, you'd expect no issues till about 400k miles at the soonest. Good news is you've got the whole warranty left, don't let them hose you. It's a shame but nowadays I don't take a brand new truck very far from the house for a while just to make sure it's good to go.

Theres a small chance that what you're seeing is residual assembly oil. It happens on brand new engines, especially cummins engines, but it generally isn't enough to drip. If they give you that explanation, than by now it should be done weeping and not show up again after a wipedown.

As far as the squeak goes, could just be the belt. I'd be far less worried about that than the oil under the flywheel.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Just an update, today I noticed oil spots on my concrete garage floor. I got under the truck and saw oil leaking from what appear to be the rear main. Truck currently has 300 miles on it. Service appointment is on Wednesday.

I’m pretty pissed off.

View attachment 545908
Very understandable. For what these things cost, you'd expect no issues till about 400k miles at the soonest. Good news is you've got the whole warranty left, don't let them hose you. It's a shame but nowadays I don't take a brand new truck very far from the house for a while just to make sure it's good to go.

Theres a small chance that what you're seeing is residual assembly oil. It happens on brand new engines, especially cummins engines, but it generally isn't enough to drip. If they give you that explanation, than by now it should be done weeping and not show up again after a wipedown.

As far as the squeak goes, could just be the belt. I'd be far less worried about that than the oil under the flywheel.
Mine is at the dealer now for a rear main seal leak. Matter of fact, I have to call them today and see if it's ready. Dropped it off last Monday and they said they were 3 days behind, so I figured I'd give them a week. The leak was discovered in March when my mechanic put it on the lift to change the oil. Showed me the drop hanging from it. And I had my truck for a year so it wasn't residual assembly oil.