Discontinued parts and warranty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

twdw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Took my 2008 5.7 hemi ram truck in for its warranty inspection and had a couple of issues needing fixed. The check engine light sometimes comes on but goes off eventually, cd player stopped working, dial on radio stopped working and the driver seat seems to not lock properly when it is moved to adjust for driver. Got the call today that they can fix the check engine issue, with our $100 deductible (Although she made sure to mention that $ amount about covers it anyway ~ which is honestly irrelevant to me) but then said they can’t fix anything else because they don’t make the replacement parts for them anymore. We asked what does she mean they can’t replace or fix them… are there not newer parts that could be used and she said she would have to check to see and also see if they would be considered an upgrade with a fee otherwise we were “at the end of the road and it can’t be fixed”. Now we wait. I know they never expect you to keep the vehicle forever, but that was our plan and we only have 108k miles on it, it is not our daily driver. Purchased it brand new with the drivetrain lifetime warranty and purchased the bumper to bumper lifetime for an additional $3000 (back when Chrysler was going to go out of business). This is its 3rd warranty inspection (Have to take it in every 5 years). If anything needs fixed we only have to pay the $100 deductible. Last time it was something small and we paid the $100 and no issues. This time we are paying the $100 again for issue with the check engine light…. BUT MY BIGGEST CONCERN NOW IS - what all do they no longer make for my dodge ram that will not be replaced in the future if it breaks. Anyone encounter this issue and what was your result? My husbands 67 Chevelle was wrecked years ago, and when it was fixed they found aftermarket parts for it. Would they not do this for their vehicles as well?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
She said he said, when and if the deny you then take them to court, it sounds like some well trained scamp is pulling your chain. Nearly every person in that position plays the same games. What I don't know is what is their liability in the warranty, my guess is they would only be responsible for depreciated value at some point. The service industry has been dying a slow death for a long time, only vehicles with lemon law protection get dealers motivated to cure. Less then 10% of dealer reviews are good, most of them are low down sticky ********, and this shouldn't be a surprise any more. Read your warranty for more information on that. I'd say join the class action, but I don't think you have standing, because they would have had to deny you. Has Chrysler sold two times since you bought your vehicle? I would not expect great desire for the new company to fix old stuff, you are gonna have to fight for every inch if you want it.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
There actually is a ...well IDK if it's a "Law" per-se, but anything for Gov't/Military used to be min of 7-yrs parts availability, unless otherwise stated, as I recall. It's stated right there in military and gov't bidding documents. Or used to be unless they recently changed it. And the Gov't/ Military buy about everyting.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Back to your truck, you can't realistically expect any manufacturer to keep making/stocking radios for a 2008, can you? Let's be realistic here. You can go buy a used radio, for example, on ebay for ~$50-$75, and change it in literally 15 min (if you take your time). More than likely the solder joints where the CD player module mounts to the main circuit board are 'cold'...meaning they get 'funny' after so many heat/cool cycles and age. So there's probably nothing wrong with your CD 'module' itself other than a bad connection to the main radio circuit board. That's what happened to mine. I found several 'cold' solder joints on mine, touched them with the soldering iron ...and the CD player now works. It cost nothing and took an hour to fix. Go to Youtube and look up "How to find/identify/fix cold/bad solder joints".

Other items which are no longer available from Mopar, are more than likely available from aftermarket sources and/or used (good) off ebay or other some-such places. It's really a reflection on the lack of creativity and resourcefullness of your mechanic or shop. They should have at least told you where you might be able to get the parts (radio) you need ...and where/how to get it and how you could resolve your problem. Honestly, they're not looking out for you. That's how I interpret it. If they really had your back they'd say, "Hey, radios aren't available (new) for a truck like yours. More than likely its something small. You might consider taking it to a radio/CB shop (and here's the number of such a place), or buy one used and we'll install it (but we can't guarantee a used radio)". That's what a good shop *should* have told you.

Maybe find a different shop which is more resorceful. But overall I wouldn't sweat it. Parts will be available. You just need to find a place with your best interest in mind. Keep driving your truck and enjoy it. It sounds like a nice rig! :waytogo:

Last edited:

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Time to reread your warranty,it most likely has this issue covered . They may make you a buy out offer or something else to compensate you. They knew a time would come when parts would become obsolete .

OP
OP
T

twdw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks to all that replied. I understand realistically that they might not keep manufacturing certain parts…. But they definitely know what they are doing when you purchase the warranty because if you alter certain things it can void your warranty. So fixing some things ourself just makes us nervous. Just really never thought about “end of life” parts I guess.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
For a Radio, maybe you should consider a modern replacement.

Just take a look at a website called Crutchfield

Your current Original Equipment radio is called a MYGIG Radio, the 2008 Dodge Ram radios have a LOW speed Can Bus, as is your truck
( In 2009, Chrysler Trucks began using the High Speed Can Bus )

If you go to the Crutchfield site, you will not have to worry about that.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Just the other day on this forum, someone asked what they would get cash wise, if their lifetime warranty was cashed out.

If i recall correctly, it was not enough to buy a tank of Fuel

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I don't know what the free lifetime powertrain warranty, but with the LifeTime purchased warranty, if the total cost per visit is more than the nada value of your vehicle they will pay out the vehicle value. So if I take my truck in for a blown engine & the nada value is $7000 & the engine cost is $8000, I get $7000 cash, not a coupon off a new truck.

Last edited: