285/75s vs 315/70s vs 35s....17" tires the great debate

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Ok so in an attempt to be realistic with my needs vs wants I keep going back and forth with tire decisions. I have a set of 1.5 bora spacers on the way and will trim whatever ends up rubbing, so don't think of this as a "will it fit post". My truck is my DD and sees a lot of highway, about 600 a week, plus between work sites and trail runs does actually see dirt and pretty rough conditions.

I've searched all the things i can think of, so now I turn to the boards to discuss what everyone feels is a pro and or con of their sizes.

So far I like the idea of 285 75s, I save some decent weight which helps on my everyday drives, and I shouldn't have much if any rubbing. Issue there is there is only about 12 choices in that size and only 2 or 3 of consider. The at3xlt and falken ats come to mind.

315s open the door to lots more choices, which is nice, but I know I'll be cutting some fender for sure. Not a big deal but it's a con worth mentioning. Since I'm looking to stick with a hybrid tire most weigh in about 60+ lbs which is almost the same as my 285 70s now. I had 315s on my Cummins and winter driving on wider tires does suck a bit more, but it's a trade off. I do gain about .75" in overall diameter, so say 3/8" in extra height.

Now I wasn't really looking at 35s since it's basically the same as a 315, but I came across the kenda klever rt, which is available in a 35x10.5. I really like the idea behind these, but being new, who knows if the tire is worth squat.

I searched tapatalk a bunch but can never seem to dig results back up if I find anything good. There's a ton of new tires on the market now, **** Cepek Exp, Kenda Rt, Cooper at3, conti terrain contact, etc. I know there's a few of us in here that nerd out on these things, so let's debate this and make my choice harder. Gone are the days of not caring. Mileage warranty, weight, performance year round, price etc all have me going back and forth.

Do I stick to skinny, or go fatty?! Trying to look at something other than some vanilla Bfgs like the rest of the world [emoji41]

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Since you're begging to clutter yout thoughts with more tire choices and sizes :)
You shoudn't have to cut any fenders to run 315/70/17's, I didn't even when I had the Rancho quick lift struts or now with the Kings though the truck is just a notch taller after Kings.
I feel the size is more of a personal choice, i think 315's look great in this big trucks with a small lift, both sizes will suck with respect to stock in the MPG department, 285/75 are about 1/2" smaller than 315/70 - 35x12.5 and at least 1" skinnier.

Of course you also have to pay attention to your vehicle gearing, if you have 3.92's and the 5 speed trans is easier to go 35's, if you have 3.55's then 285/75 is a more logical choice, If you have the 8 speed and 3.55's you can run 35's all day long.

If you are sensible to mpg but still want the the look of a bigger tire, then there are some lightweigh 315/70/17 options out there for example GY Duratracs (61lbs), **** Cepek Trail Country AT (61lbs), Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLT (62lbs), Yokohama Geolander AT (61lbs), Pirelli Scorpion AT (60lbs)

If you like the pizza cutter look, KO2's can be had in 34x10.5x17 and weight 56lbs, according to BFG they're 33.5" tall, and now you also have those Kenda 35x10.5x17, but the weird thing is that the manufacturer is advertsing them at 32.76" tall?
https://i.ibb.co/16pYRLZ/Kenda-RT-sizes.jpg

I don't think both of this options will be taller than your 285/70, but will weight less and give you less rolling resistance as they'r'e skinnier.
Interco also has a 35x10.5x17 but i doubt you'll be interested in running Super Swampers :), they're prob taller than the KO2's and Kenda as Interco sizes are known for pretty much thru sizes.
Here is the look
https://tiresize.com/rides/Kevin/
https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/anyone-make-a-35x10-5x17-tire.122190/

I lost some MPG when i went from the factory 20's to the 315/70/17 (about 2mpg), but considering i'm lifted around 2.5" and running 73lbs 315/70/17 tires with 3.92's and no mds and still be able to pull 19mpg with the Hemi at 70mph. i think she's doing good.

40298988013_1c2cc2649e_h.jpg2019-03-02_09-40-09 by RAM RSM, on Flickr

Tires are Falken AT3W and they have been great, however they have a 2 ply sidewall, and i want 3 ply, I'll prob go with Milestar Patagonias in the same 315/70/17 size next time around, D rated 3 ply sidewall and more aggressive looking. i'd love to get into 37's, but considering i'm stuck with 3.92's i won't be making that jump.

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Since you're begging to clutter yout thoughts with more tire choices and sizes :)
You shoudn't have to cut any fenders to run 315/70/17's, I didn't even when I had the Rancho quick lift struts or now with the Kings though the truck is just a notch taller after Kings.
I feel the size is more of a personal choice, i think 315's look great in this big trucks with a small lift, both sizes will suck with respect to stock in the MPG department, 285/75 are about 1/2" smaller than 315/70 - 35x12.5 and at least 1" skinnier.

Of course you also have to pay attention to your vehicle gearing, if you have 3.92's and the 5 speed trans is easier to go 35's, if you have 3.55's then 285/75 is a more logical choice, If you have the 8 speed and 3.55's you can run 35's all day long.

If you are sensible to mpg but still want the the look of a bigger tire, then there are some lightweigh 315/70/17 options out there for example GY Duratracs (61lbs), **** Cepek Trail Country AT (61lbs), Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLT (62lbs), Yokohama Geolander AT (61lbs), Pirelli Scorpion AT (60lbs)

If you like the pizza cutter look, KO2's can be had in 34x10.5x17 and weight 56lbs, according to BFG they're 33.5" tall, and now you also have those Kenda 35x10.5x17, but the weird thing is that the manufacturer is advertsing them at 32.76" tall?
https://i.ibb.co/16pYRLZ/Kenda-RT-sizes.jpg

I don't think both of this options will be taller than your 285/70, but will weight less and give you less rolling resistance as they'r'e skinnier.
Interco also has a 35x10.5x17 but i doubt you'll be interested in running Super Swampers :), they're prob taller than the KO2's and Kenda as Interco sizes are known for pretty much thru sizes.
Here is the look
https://tiresize.com/rides/Kevin/
https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/anyone-make-a-35x10-5x17-tire.122190/

I lost some MPG when i went from the factory 20's to the 315/70/17 (about 2mpg), but considering i'm lifted around 2.5" and running 73lbs 315/70/17 tires with 3.92's and still be able to pull 19mpg with the Hemi at 70mph. i think she's doing good.

40298988013_1c2cc2649e_h.jpg2019-03-02_09-40-09 by RAM RSM, on Flickr

Tires are Falken AT3W and they have been great, however they have a 2 ply sidewall, and i want 3 ply, I'll prob go with Milestar Patagonias in the same 315/70/17 size next time around, D rated 3 ply sidewall and more aggressive looking. i'd love to get into 37's, but considering i'm stuck with 3.92's i won't be making that jump.
So I forgot to mention in my original post I have 3.55 gears and the 8spd. With the Ecodiesel I was getting about 28mpg with the 265 70s even with them being E rated. Jumped to these 285 70 **** cepek fun country's which spec out taller at 33.0 and 61lbs and I'm getting about 21-22 mpg on winter fuel. I can't complain about that, and since rotating mass will be about the same weight roughly I shouldn't lose much except the use of 8th gear on some spots on the highway with the lower final gear ratio on taller tires. I don't like to lug the motor so it's ok, but worth a mention.

I am goin to be keeping my oem wheels, which have a +24 offset I believe, so with 1.5" spacers I will effectively be a -12mm offset. So about the same as you. I'm not afraid to trim to fit, but it would be nice to not have to spend a few hours messing with a grinder.

These trucks have huge wheel wells, so pictures are deceiving on the internet, my 33s don't look terrible in person, a touch small, but in pics look like doughnuts. So I take that with a grain of salt when looking. But, for purely aesthetic reasons I want some nice meaty looking tires, which is why the Falkens and Coopers have been front of my list. Hybrid tread with a good looking sidewall. Coopers edging that one strictly based on weight.

I have always been partial to a narrower tire, as they do well in our east coast winters. Problem being the selection is small for my 17" wheels. Tire specs are all over the place, some 315s are lighter, some are monsters in weight. I wanted the falkens like you have, until I saw the weight. This little 3.0l isn't a power house and I drive enough that I need to be mindful of that. I feel snobby in a way, but I am trying to be responsible. Up until recently I was just running highways, but after getting back into the forums, I'll be doing trail rides again so a hybrid tire is a must. I know heights are close, but I don't have a Lot of underbody protection, just factory skids, so 3/4" in height is the difference between a scuffed trans pan and a punctured one sometimes.

I have a set of 285/75/17 toyo mts in my garage I got from a buddy. Once the snow breaks I'll install them as they aren't gonna be worth a damn in the snow at 1/4 tread. They measure out larger at 34.1 so I'll have an idea on how it will look. I've always been a lower lift big tire guy so I really want some bigger tires. 34.5 vs 33.8 is 3/4". I really feel like I'm nit picking here, but isn't that what forums are for [emoji16]. I'm a bit away from getting new tires, so I figure I will debate this topic now since most of us ironed out our suspension **** mighty quick.

Btw, I really don't see myself jumping on the bfg band wagon unless I find a set of cheap ones on CL. I just am not impressed by them. Especially for the price. These **** cepek tires have seriously surprised me, and weren't on my radar till I ran them. Revitupmoto swears by his continentals and the pics he has prove he uses them hard, so theres something to be noted about the new technology they pack into these tires now a days. My buddy has the patagonia mts and swears they are great as well. All polar opposite tires with similar reviews, thus the mind fuckery sometimes. I will say, my biggest thing is this truck is a pure joy to drive, and I do not want to retract from that.

Once Fiat Chrysler and the EPA get their **** together I will be getting my ecm tuned after the new settlement update, so hopefully that will wake this motor up a bit with bigger tires.

Btw, I looked through the wheels and tires pages and all I really come across is either stock 20s and 35s or fancy wheels, which I have neither of so this is our offroad oriented page.

OP
OP
H

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
So a little tid bit, I have never looked at those milestar mts, simply because they look like a freaking super swamped. Well, I did some researching and not only are they supposedly silent and getting rave reviews on every video I watch, but they are only 68lbs in 315s...... and 64lbs in 295s hmmm and they are cheapppppp.

Off to eBay I go to look into these

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk

Dinky

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Dude I think my head just exploded reading this :). You can run 35x12.5 17s no rubbing. If your worried about mpg stay down to 33s... also if 33s are a lot lighter.

OP
OP
H

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Dude I think my head just exploded reading this :). You can run 35x12.5 17s no rubbing. If your worried about mpg stay down to 33s... also if 33s are a lot lighter.
That's what we do here, over think [emoji41] I'm not concerned with fender rubbing. I had a set of 315s lined up and they would hit the UCA on stock wheels. Which is why I started looking at the narrow 285/75s, to keep stock wheels. Than I ordered wheel spacers, than it snowballed and I started looking st 315s again. The freaking circle of mods. That being said... Mpg is always a moot point when going to bigger tires, but considering I can keep the truck in low to mid 20s with a lighter setup it's worth taking into consideration to an extent. I have 33s. They look dumb, imo. Literally that's my problem with them, the appearance. And if I'm gonna spend 1k on tires, well I'm gonna overthink it because I've gotta save for a while to afford this **** and not **** off my significant other

Dinky

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That's what we do here, over think [emoji41] I'm not concerned with fender rubbing. I had a set of 315s lined up and they would hit the UCA on stock wheels. Which is why I started looking at the narrow 285/75s, to keep stock wheels. Than I ordered wheel spacers, than it snowballed and I started looking st 315s again. The freaking circle of mods. That being said... Mpg is always a moot point when going to bigger tires, but considering I can keep the truck in low to mid 20s with a lighter setup it's worth taking into consideration to an extent. I have 33s. They look dumb, imo. Literally that's my problem with them, the appearance. And if I'm gonna spend 1k on tires, well I'm gonna overthink it because I've gotta save for a while to afford this **** and not **** off my significant other

Ah yeah I know the feeling I am buy new wheels and tires at the end of the month. I am running bfg ko2 35x12.5 now. I am dropping down to 33s just cause it is a lot cheaper and a little better of fuel. My old lady doesn't care what I spend. I am her taxi when it snows since I get day off work for it lol. Try buying bfg ko2s on 20in wheel $355 a tire lol. I am right at 50k on my tires now and still have 35% tread left on them. I think their one of the best tires on the market but it is just my opinion.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So a little tid bit, I have never looked at those milestar mts, simply because they look like a freaking super swamped. Well, I did some researching and not only are they supposedly silent and getting rave reviews on every video I watch, but they are only 68lbs in 315s...... and 64lbs in 295s hmmm and they are cheapppppp.

Off to eBay I go to look into these

They're sure getting a lot of attention in the Jeep forums, and their price is going up because of it.
I've been thinking to upgrade my tires but after spending the money on the Kings, then the damn fuel pump and the softoper i don't want to keep freaking pounding my credit card :) that and i think the Falkens have about 10-12k miles or so so they're still brand new. Will see, maybe when i hit 20k miles on this set.

I follow this dudes Youtube channel, Lite brite, and you can see how the Patagonias behave in pretty much any surface if you look at their videos, snow traction caught my eyes as well as traction in rocks
This is one of their snow runs, 2nd Jeep in this video seems to be running Nitto Ridge Grapplers which are supposed to be hybrid, Patagonias are also hybrid even though they have MT stamped in them.
I'm telling you this will be my next tires in 315/70/17, ligther than my Falkens, 3 ply sidewall, rugged and more aggresive, cost about the same, and cheaper than KO2's and the other big brands.

OP
OP
H

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Ah yeah I know the feeling I am buy new wheels and tires at the end of the month. I am running bfg ko2 35x12.5 now. I am dropping down to 33s just cause it is a lot cheaper and a little better of fuel. My old lady doesn't care what I spend. I am her taxi when it snows since I get day off work for it lol. Try buying bfg ko2s on 20in wheel $355 a tire lol. I am right at 50k on my tires now and still have 35% tread left on them. I think their one of the best tires on the market but it is just my opinion.
Mine normally doesn't care, but the house does need some love after the recent storms we've had and I'm over here looking at tires lol. I never had luck with bfgs, had both KOs and KM2s on a variety of vehicles and they just never performed or lasted like I always hear. Plus they run super small to size and are expensive, so in my head I'm not getting what I paid for in a sense.

Granted I don't wanna but pick to death, but there's a huge difference in 33s to 315s. If I was in the market for wheels I'd jump to 18s where the tires incrementally jump in size enough it's discernable. On 17s 285, 295 and 305 70 series are so close in specs it's not even worth a change. Since I'm already running a larger 285 70, my next jump is either to 75 series or straight to 315s. Unsprung weight and diameter are split in regards to priority, my tires now are 61lbs so if I can jump to a bigger, decent rolling resistance type tire, I shouldn't lose much aside from 8th gear holding on highway. In theory. Buying tires anymore is such a choice, now I know why women take so long looking at shoes

OP
OP
H

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
I follow them as well, and their video review is the first one that popped up when I googled the tires. I never put 2 and 2 together honestly. They work those tires over pretty good too. I won't lie they are way overkill for my uses, but if they are as good as they say, than why not. Especially if they are quiet. I ran swampers on my jeeps, I'm over the womp womp tires lol. Snow traction is a must for me, my fun country's are eh at best.

Those falkens are awesome tires, just way heavier than I would have assumed they were. I stumbled across a few vids and they aren't kidding when they say they are silent. My buddy has a set of 285 70s milestars, I will reach out to him and see how they are doin. Until this truck I've always run Mts, when I went to an At. The choices with the ats are ridiculous.

I also forgot to mention,my **** cepek fun countries are loud as ****. Louder than some mud tires I've run. That was how I got them so cheap, previous owner hated them. Granted its not offensive, but I sure would like something that doesn't sound off like a helicopter.

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
This are 315/70/17 Revos on stock Rebel wheels no spacers and no lift, don't know if your current wheels have the same backspace as the Rebel wheels, if so you can run any 315/70 and check if you rub the factory arms, if you do you have the spacers already.
https://www.ramforumz.com/showpost.php?p=2108165&postcount=2
For some reason it says the image is blocked. I even registered with the site through a desktop.

The rebel wheels are 17x8 +18 vs 17x7 +24 not a wheel guru but I believe that's technically the same correct? Otherwise that explains how rebel wheels clear 315s and oem doesnt

OP
OP
H

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Don't need them..but I want them just the same...

285/75/17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers.
Do we really ever truly need all the things we do to our trucks? Nope. Did I want ever single thing I've done. **** yea.

I'm not a big fan of the ridge grapplers. Idk why

OP
OP
H

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
So I just sat down and have really been thinking, I bought my truck in July , and I've logged almost 30k since I got it. Honestly didn't realize just how much I drive anymore. So I'm definitely going to have to keep it to a mild tread with a decent treadlife warranty. My big "rush" into tires is I need to get them before I get my ECM tuned that way they can recalibrate everything properly. I can't do much through the OBD2 port on my ED and the dealer i use is far enough away it's a hassle to go there.

I stumbled across a cheaper tire, Radar Renegade Ats. They look very similar to nitto Terra grapplers and are like 190$ ea.

That being said, I need to get the bora spacers in, ordered them on the 25th and haven't gotten any tracking # or anything since. [emoji2369]

OP
OP
H

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Side note, while I was at the off road shop today, a guy with a 3rd gen 1500 parked next to me. 295 70 17 nitro trail grapplers. Honestly there was no discernable difference between my 285s and his 295s, at least not enough I'd have thought they were different sizes. Reading thru the 3.55 vs 3.92 gear threads everyone says that im not losing much with the 8spd trans so its a wash in a sense.

Ram1500rsm, if I'm not mistaken I read that you pulled your rear liners to avoid rubbing them at full flex? Am I correct?

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Side note, while I was at the off road shop today, a guy with a 3rd gen 1500 parked next to me. 295 70 17 nitro trail grapplers. Honestly there was no discernable difference between my 285s and his 295s, at least not enough I'd have thought they were different sizes. Reading thru the 3.55 vs 3.92 gear threads everyone says that im not losing much with the 8spd trans so its a wash in a sense.

Ram1500rsm, if I'm not mistaken I read that you pulled your rear liners to avoid rubbing them at full flex? Am I correct?

Correct. You won't have any issues with 315's and the lift you have in your truck at the moment. you could even leave the rear liners in there as is just minor rubbing. I removed them cause i'm OCD about my shocks and i wanted to see how much shaft is visible when the suspension cycles, i'm not kidding when i said busting 5100 stems marked me for life :)

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
For some reason it says the image is blocked. I even registered with the site through a desktop.

The rebel wheels are 17x8 +18 vs 17x7 +24 not a wheel guru but I believe that's technically the same correct? Otherwise that explains how rebel wheels clear 315s and oem doesnt

Weird, here is what the dude posted in case you weren't be able to access the link

This was his truck on stock suspension with the 315s
trook11.jpg

Then a view of the tires with factory UCA's
trook12.jpg

then a view with the same setup with a level
trook10.jpg

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Your wheels are 17x7 or 17x8 ?
According to this https://tiresize.com/wheel-offset-calculator/
the 17x7 +24 will be more or less 5" backspace, while 17x8 +18 will be more or less 5.25", fairly similar, the Rebel wheel will be slightly closer to the fenders by a smidge.

OP
OP
H

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Weird, here is what the dude posted in case you weren't be able to access the link

This was his truck on stock suspension with the 315s
View attachment 157773

Then a view of the tires with factory UCA's
View attachment 157775

then a view with the same setup with a level
View attachment 157776
Thank you. Yea, idk if it's because I'm not a supporting member or what but it said images blocked. I'm why, I really like how that looks.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevo5441