6.4 Hemi tick or exhaust leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BTD33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hello all, I have a 2017 ram 2500 4x4 with 118k miles I just picked up a few months back. I’m coming off of a 6.7 that got totaled. This is my first hemi and I was of course worried about the “tick”, I did listen to a few of these trucks they had on the lot and they all sounded the same. I noticed it get a tad bit louder and while trying to pass a mile of cars today the check engine light came on and started blinking. I got up to about 90 miles an hour accelerating pretty hard. I pulled over the truck and the engine light was gone, but I did have three stored codes, one of which was P0300 the other two were P1622 and P1621 which was a misfire thermostat and O2 sensor code. The truck is not overheating, oil pressure is fine, no loss of power or any rough idle at all and the check engine light has not come back on even if if I creep it up above 90 as long as I don’t just lay on the gas. these codes got me a little worried and I started digging and finding more and more videos of trucks that sound like mine and are diagnosed with either lifter/ cam issues or exhaust issues. I am taking the truck Monday to the mechanic to have him check out the codes and was just curious of everyone’s opinion on whether this sounded like exhaust or lifter issues. I apologize for the long drawn out explanation. I just wanted to include any relevant information in case that influenced your opinion any help is appreciated.

Added info, the truck is at operating temperature in the video had approximately three hours of driving time.

Youtube links below

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Easy enough to rule out exhaust leak, check all header bolts. Mine on my truck, had 3 broken, were hard to find and didn't know 2 of them until in to it. You may need to remove them both to find if any are broken. Lots of threads on tick, but Redline oil change could quiet it down and if try this route and gets softer then you know it is the tick. Other tricks are a wrench on the engine to ear (be careful) or take off covers. Do a search on the term, a lot of smart people have posted on that. Good luck.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
First of all why are you driving a brick at 90 mph? You enjoy having single-digit fuel mileage numbers? I'd suggest slowing down - if you're trying to pass that many cars on a 2-lane road you're asking for trouble.

As for what you're experiencing, with 118k on it it may have never had the coils/plugs replaced, I'd suggest that first and foremost. At the very least pull the plugs and inspect them. Random misfire is hard to diagnose unless you pull all the plugs and flow test all the injectors, because the computer has registered multiple cylinders with knock but not enough in any one cylinder to throw a code for that cylinder.

P1621 and 1622 are both for O2 sensors, not thermostat. One is for voltage feedback (P1622), the other is for the O2 sensor heater (p1622). It's likely that THESE are the culprit of your P0300 code as well, as you likely have one or more failing O2 sensors, but check the wiring to them as well because bad wiring (something entirely possible on a used vehicle) could also cause the issues. Basically if the O2 sensor is reading wrong, it reported incorrect mixture ratios in the exhaust, the PCM adjusted for the signal, and caused a lean condition that lead to spark knock. It was likely momentary but enough to set a code.

OP
OP
B

BTD33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
First of all why are you driving a brick at 90 mph? You enjoy having single-digit fuel mileage numbers? I'd suggest slowing down - if you're trying to pass that many cars on a 2-lane road you're asking for trouble.

I appreciate the feed back, i’ll start testing if the shop doesn’t come back with anything. As for the speed I work in the OR so my speed is normally tied to a trauma call in, I have 30 mins to respond but we try to make it faster for children is all. I know it’s not a race car lol it’s a rare occurrence.

Megazor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Through my phone speakers, the tick in your video sounds just like my truck. Same noise since new and now at 70K miles.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Flashing CELs are nothing to take lightly... the manual says to stop driving immediately and take it to the dealer for fear of doing damage to the engine. You probably don't want to hear my story with a flashing CEL and my 6.4 - needed a new engine. Service writer admitted my problem was rare but does happen. I honestly don't know the correct terminology but it was something about a failed bearing and metal shavings getting thrown through the engine... Fingers crossed for you that it's something easier!

Aggie12

Reaction score
Ram Year
1997, now 2024
Engine
V-10, now 6.4l Hemi
I see this is a 6.4l hemi-tick thread.

My '24 Ram 3500 has just shy of 10,000 miles on it, in 8 months. Mostly highway, much of it around 75-85 mph range. I've changed the oil twice now, using Royal Purple filters and Mobil-1 0w-40w, European formula, with the approved API nomenclature. It's not using any oil and it starts up quietly, but: After a 30 minute highway run, when I get to the ranch and step out to unlock the gate with the motor idling, I can hear a tick. It's fairly soft, but it's there.

Suggestions? And: Is this type of thing covered by the warranty?
Thanks

OP
OP
B

BTD33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

My '24 Ram 3500 has just shy of 10,000 miles on it, in 8 months. Mostly highway, much of it around 75-85 mph range. I've changed the oil twice now, using Royal Purple filters and Mobil-1 0w-40w, European formula, with the approved API nomenclature. It's not using any oil and it starts up quietly, but: After a 30 minute highway run, when I get to the ranch and step out to unlock the gate with the motor idling, I can hear a tick. It's fairly soft, but it's there.

Thanks
If there’s an issue it will be covered, I was never able to resolve mine, changed plugs/coils, did a redline oil change and checked heat shields/made sure my studs were tight and still have it. I just assume it’s normal now. My codes never came back and I have put 16k miles on it since I posted. If there was an issue I assume it would have reared by now

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
op that is very slight hemi tick, like 1 outta 10 imo.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi

Thanks
Warm idle tick is the most dangerous hemi tick if it's lifters, find the threads in my sig and read up. I would get some lubeguard biotech and add it ASAP, and give it some time, see if the tick is still going. Take an audio from under the engine un interrupted for 3 minutes if you want some feedback.

Zoe Saldana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
hello all, I have a 2017 ram 2500 4x4 with 118k miles I just picked up a few months back. I’m coming off of a 6.7 that got totaled. This is my first hemi and I was of course worried about the “tick”, I did listen to a few of these trucks they had on the lot and they all sounded the same. I noticed it get a tad bit louder and while trying to pass a mile of cars today the check engine light came on and started blinking. I got up to about 90 miles an hour accelerating pretty hard. I pulled over the truck and the engine light was gone, but I did have three stored codes, one of which was P0300 the other two were P1622 and P1621 which was a misfire thermostat and O2 sensor code. The truck is not overheating, oil pressure is fine, no loss of power or any rough idle at all and the check engine light has not come back on even if if I creep it up above 90 as long as I don’t just lay on the gas. these codes got me a little worried and I started digging and finding more and more videos of trucks that sound like mine and are diagnosed with either lifter/ cam issues or exhaust issues. I am taking the truck Monday to the mechanic to have him check out the codes and was just curious of everyone’s opinion on whether this sounded like exhaust or lifter issues. I apologize for the long drawn out explanation. I just wanted to include any relevant information in case that influenced your opinion any help is appreciated.

Added info, the truck is at operating temperature in the video had approximately three hours of driving time.

Youtube links below

Doesn't sound like it to me.

How many miles? How many idle hours?

What Oil are you using?

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Your videos sound like my truck has ever since i bought it new in 2016. Got over 100k on it now, sounds the same. Never had any check engine lights or codes though.