9,000 Mile Oil Change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Victory Pete

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
What do you think of the automatic oil change notification system on the 2021 Ram 1500 Classic. I did my first change at around 9K with full synthetic and it should be alerting me soon at 18K. My friend, who is a nurse, insists on 5K. I am a Master Electrician.
Thanks
VP

Last edited:

diymirage

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i think it depends on a few different factors (and where you work is not one of them, but how far away from your work you live, is)

i can tell you this, your truck should have a build in algorythem that decides when to turn the "change oil" notification on

during the summer, when my truck mostly pulls family duty the interval is way longer then in the winter, when i plow with it

OP
OP
Victory Pete

Victory Pete

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
i think it depends on a few different factors (and where you work is not one of them, but how far away from your work you live, is)

i can tell you this, your truck should have a build in algorythem that decides when to turn the "change oil" notification on

during the summer, when my truck mostly pulls family duty the interval is way longer then in the winter, when i plow with it
Right, I understand the interval will change depending on driving conditions. I'm just looking for opinions on if it is a valid system.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Used oil analysis set the interval, everything else is a guess. Pick your oil use the same oil if it's close, let Blackstone set the interval using science which means you need to add tbn to the report. I'd send it in at 7500 miles and measure tbn. every engine is different... 9k miles freeway easy miles is reasonable, but again that is a general guess, use a lab good to see wear and how your engine is doing as a bonus.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
General info, as long as you have a good filter as in spun micro glass, this product does what it says, extends oil. The advanced formula is a safe tbn booster you add 1/2 way through your oil interval, and you will not have acid damage like you would when you run out of tbn - total base number. Anyone going over 7500 miles on their oil that is something to consider. It can pay for itself as long as you have good filtration. stupid cheap

41Rgi+1qJ0L._SY445_.jpg

OP
OP
Victory Pete

Victory Pete

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I wish I was getting email notifications from this site. I am set up for it, but they don't come. I do tow with mine occasionally but otherwise it does get light duty.

Dan Topp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think it’s sad to expect any oil filter to work properly for 9k.But thankfully I can afford new now. 345 mile first oil change on a 70k car isn’t crazy to me.After that do it however you want.

Attachments

• IMG_2918.jpeg
    IMG_2918.jpeg
    103.3 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_3866.jpeg
    IMG_3866.jpeg
    93.8 KB · Views: 22

HunterCat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
I won’t go past 5K miles. Oil and a filter isn’t expensive.

It makes no sense to me how resistant people are when it comes to investing some money into maintaining the most important tool in their life. They’ll waste tons of money on going to restaurants etc , but spending a little $ to maintain their vehicle is just crossing the line for them. I feel like many of the 10K+ oil change folks are the same people that believe the “lifetime” transmission fluid nonsense.

The oil analysis crowd will spend $35 for the test to see how long they can extend their changes. How about just spending an extra $10 and changing the oil?? You can get a 5qt jug of Mobil 1 for $25. I use Royal Purple filers so a little more $ than most at $15.

KKBB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

It makes no sense to me how resistant people are when it comes to investing some money into maintaining the most important tool in their life. They’ll waste tons of money on going to restaurants etc , but spending a little $ to maintain their vehicle is just crossing the line for them. I feel like many of the 10K+ oil change folks are the same people that believe the “lifetime” transmission fluid nonsense.

The oil analysis crowd will spend $35 for the test to see how long they can extend their changes. How about just spending an extra $10 and changing the oil?? You can get a 5qt jug of Mobil 1 for $25. I use Royal Purple filers so a little more $ than most at $15.
Agreed. I would rather spend a little more money on changing fluids and everything out early rather than saving a fee bucks and doing it late. Especially when the hemi has some ticking issues...we just bought and ecodiesel for my son, and those have some issues also, so I will be doing the same thing...early oil changes and good oil!! It just got a shade over 29 MPG on a small vacation we are taking. We changed the rear diff fluid and fuel filter on it right before we left.

Ludville1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi Sport Crew

Well said!

djhartm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You may as well be discussing religion and/or politics...

The OCD of people here regarding oil is off the charts.

People flush money away on 3k (or less) oil changes, endless blackstone analyses, and STILL have engine problems.

I change my oil & filter when the computer says to & 86k miles in on my 2014 5.7L I've never had an issue.

Taters21522

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
What do you think of the automatic oil change notification system on the 2021 Ram 1500 Classic. I did my first change at around 9K with full synthetic and it should be alerting me soon at 18K. My friend, who is a nurse, insists on 5K. I am a Master Electrician.
Thanks
VP
I change mine at around 5 thousand with full synthetic (Amsoil or Mobile 1- wix oil filter). Most important thing to do is change the oil (watch YouTube videos from Master ASE techs). Just my 2 cents

melvingeraldmesse

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2021 Power Wagon with 73k I use Valvoline 0w40 with the SRT oil filters they cost more but they are better than the standard Mopar filter. The only thing my truck has been in the shop for is to have a goose neck ball installed. Kansas dirt roads and lots of miles up and down the highway. I love my truck.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I generally go off the computer. Usually, try to get in once it's down to 25%. Mainly, just in case I have trouble getting an appointment. Most times I'm around 7-8K miles. Has it worked? Well.... my engine (6.4 Hemi) blew at 120K miles so I suppose I'm not a great case study :)

Luckily I have a Lifetime warranty and it was covered. Every oil change and bit of maintenance was done at the dealer which I was thankful for.

9K is getting up there but I think 3/4/5K is throwing money away. Speaking of cost, buying packages at the dealer gets the cost down to about what I'd pay for the supplies. Also, getting the truck in for recalls, etc. is nice. But I totally get it when people want to do it themselves and don't trust the dealer techs.

Lubeman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks
VP
From what I've seen on my '21 Classic, the oil change monitor is based on 10,000 mile intervals and doesn't adjust based on driving conditions like my GM vehicles do. I change my oil every 5,000 with synthetic oil, hoping I never have to replace the cam and lifters.

BenchTest

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

This. This is the correct thought process. SO many people want to ring their oil out to the last .1 mile for bragging rights on "I do 12,349 mile interval oil changes because my super non-dino oil was made for lunar rovers and has a Nasa endorsement". Shut up and change your oil, Lube Nerd. Nobody cares. Oil is cheap enough to replace sooner than later and not have to worry about it and science the hell out of it to the point of insanity. 5K, 7500, whatever. Just don't change your oil every 20,000 miles and wonder why your engine died. OK, <RESET>. I'm good.

BenchTest

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
To that I'll add - I'm generally a 5k oil changer. I will do 3k (or sometimes slightly lower) oil changes if I've run hard down the interstate, going over/through/around mountains, where I'm running bigger RPMS for longer periods. People also often forget about idle time. That's a huge part of the consideration. When I was involved with managing my service fleet, that idle time was a big determining factor as to when the oil was getting changed. Might only have 3k on the oil clock, but those engines were running 7am - 7pm sometimes, idling in 90+ degree heat with AC going. That takes it's toll. Something to consider...