9,000 Mile Oil Change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

farout75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L
What do you think of the automatic oil change notification system on the 2021 Ram 1500 Classic. I did my first change at around 9K with full synthetic and it should be alerting me soon at 18K. My friend, who is a nurse, insists on 5K. I am a Master Electrician.
Thanks
VP
If you intend to keep it longer that the 60,000 warranty you should change oil every 4 to 6 k miles

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you intend to keep it longer that the 60,000 warranty you should change oil every 4 to 6 k miles
Ditto. I just do 5 K OCI and rotate tires also. Now if a year goes by not hit 5K than do oil change/w filters regardless of odometer. Too much condensation in oil and such if sit too long and not run due to atmospheric conditions too. To me a lot cheaper insurance and helps use synthetic and good synth filter also.
Watching stupid idiot oil reminder oh heck no I have seen the aftermath of gooked up motors slimed out.

But your rides and do as U see fit.

All IMHO only.

Lysergic

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 & 2023
Engine
4.7L & 3.0L EcoD
This. This is the correct thought process. SO many people want to ring their oil out to the last .1 mile for bragging rights on "I do 12,349 mile interval oil changes because my super non-dino oil was made for lunar rovers and has a Nasa endorsement". Shut up and change your oil, Lube Nerd. Nobody cares. Oil is cheap enough to replace sooner than later and not have to worry about it and science the hell out of it to the point of insanity. 5K, 7500, whatever. Just don't change your oil every 20,000 miles and wonder why your engine died. OK, <RESET>. I'm good.

Well, you sure as heck won't be getting any Christmas cards or BBQ invitations from the folks over at the BITOG forums! :p

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Why?

I mean, what dictates that?
If you see the size of the oil passage hole feeding the top end of the engine,you probably won't wonder why it's advisable to change oil more often.The hole feeding oil up top is about the size of a pencil tip at most,and it doesn't take much gunk/sludge to restrict it. It feeds oil to the rocker shafts / valve springs / and then down to the lifters plunger

Marmay

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Never ever change the oil with the minder FCA comp system in 1500 Rams,its false, confusing gadget, leading guys to have lots of trouble with the hemi engine,for 5.7 L hemi max miles, interval, is 6.500 miles,this is my own experience with my 2019 classic, plus a good oil pup and good filter,plus lubaguard biotech additive.

Dan Topp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You may as well be discussing religion and/or politics...

The OCD of people here regarding oil is off the charts.

People flush money away on 3k (or less) oil changes, endless blackstone analyses, and STILL have engine problems.

I change my oil & filter when the computer says to & 86k miles in on my 2014 5.7L I've never had an issue.
I flush money away on much less important things than my oil changes,but data on 3k oil changers is purely bs based on the average car owners I’ve seen,and the type of person who changes their oil at 3k.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The title of this thread alone gives me anxiety.

Modern engines use oil for more than just lubrication and cooling. VVT, cylinder deactivation, etc have many small holes and fine screens that can get blocked by dirty oil. 5000 mile oil changes are a good way to go if you want to keep the truck long term.

If you're just leasing it and plan on getting rid of it in a few years then by all means just go by the oil life indicator.

markabby

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
when i leased i did every 5000..at the dealers. when i bought the same truck, i still do every 5000...at the dealers...because i bought the extended warranty and i don't want any issues if something goes wrong. They can't blame me for not doing the recommended 5k oil change.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
If I waited for the oil change life thing on the wife's car, it would be about every 3 years.
I think on my truck it is usally at about 50%

Guy I worked yrs ago never change his oil , it changed itself about every 500-1000 miles, he would toss on a new filter sometimes, 1967 Ply Fury 111 2dht with about 200,000 last time I seen it. Nice car, bullet proof, it had to be .

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Please don't flame me, I must have a unicorn truck then, oil changes according to oci.

191.6 k miles as I write this, 163k of that is me.

Using PP 5w-30 and Fram FE2 filter.

Used PP 5w-30 and Fram XG2 filter last 5 or so changes, have used Lubegard biotek a few times several changes ago. Before that PP 5w-20 and Fram XG10060 filter.

2015 SLT QC 5.7L 2WD 8SPD 3.21, bone stock.

BenchTest

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Please don't flame me, I must have a unicorn truck then, oil changes according to oci.

191.6 k miles as I write this, 163k of that is me.

Using PP 5w-30 and Fram FE2 filter.

Used PP 5w-30 and Fram XG2 filter last 5 or so changes, have used Lubegard biotek a few times several changes ago. Before that PP 5w-20 and Fram XG10060 filter.

2015 SLT QC 5.7L 2WD 8SPD 3.21, bone stock.
I run Walmart SuperTech Synthetic. I have hundreds of thousands of miles, probably over a million miles, of history with the oil. To explain - that oil has been ran in my personal vehicles, but more so in company fleet vehicles. What's the cumulative effect of using that oil on the SAME ENGINE for 500k miles? I have no idea. But several of the fleet vehicles hit the 300k mark running it (by that time everything else is worn out and the vehicle goes off to salvage/3rd party). Would I run that oil for 10k OCI? NO. Not a chance. But when you're swapping oil around the 5k mark due to miles and accumulated idle time, for me/us it's been good to go. I've never had an oil related failure (at least not that I'm aware of). We had plenty of Pentastars eat cams/rockers running the "good stuff" on the same OCI as the Walmart oils...so that's my scientific basis for "never had an oil related failure". LOL I use the basic Fram filters on those engines as well. Maybe if they were brand new, loved from day 0, luxury vehicles that were going to be used for personal commuting and the plan was to keep them for 500k miles, I'd use a premium oil with premium filter. My truck will be long dead from salt-induced cancer before then, so SuperTech it is for this engine.

Now, the wife's brand new car - It's running Royal Purple with a a Gucci filter, gets washed twice a week, vac'd out every week, a blessing said over the hood prior to each trip, and babied.

Hardracer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 1500 laramie 4x4 crew cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well.....if a nurse says change your oil at 5k..change ur oil at 5k.....lol
I change mine in the 5-6k area...Mobil 1,some lubeguard stuff and a fram xg2 filter I think it is...
Whatever burlas chart that one time said was a tick better than the RP by whoever did tests on a bunch of brands..and their not expensive so that's what I run with.

20IndyRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
Used oil analysis set the interval, everything else is a guess. Pick your oil use the same oil if it's close, let Blackstone set the interval using science which means you need to add tbn to the report. I'd send it in at 7500 miles and measure tbn. every engine is different... 9k miles freeway easy miles is reasonable, but again that is a general guess, use a lab good to see wear and how your engine is doing as a bonus.
Bingo,
What people have done in the past on different vehicles, under different conditions, with different drivers doesn't mean Richard.

Use the manual recommended oil/mileage or have your oil tested. Anything else is a guess, or throwing money away.

My dealership tags my Eco-diesel for 5K mile oil changes (book says 10K). Ive tested at 30 and 40K and Blackstone is advising me I can go to 15K. If my next test (50K) comes back the same, I'll change.

My 06' 300 (186K) is at 7500 between changes. Car doesn't get driven hard (compared to a 1500), but is driven around town. Blackstone has indicated it can go to 10K. I normally age out (1 year) on this vehicle so I'll probably stick to that. I have used lubeguard for the past 5 years...

On the flip side - my Daughter moved closer to work 2 years ago. I've been changing her oil @1 year 7500 Mi (6000 actual). Based on the Blackstone analysis, I need to back that down to 7mo, 5000 miles.

Severe service can also mean short trips with insufficient time to boil off condensates. Can't wait to replace her exhaust system...

2012RAM1500RT

Supporting Member
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
I do my best not to get into "best oil" discussions because where I work, I have worked here 39 years they have only bought Phillips 66 15W40 diesel oil and that is all they let me use in everything they own. Cars, pickup trucks, Mack dump trucks, every brand of off road equipment you can think of. We are a construction company. I personally drove a 1998 Dodge 2500 360 gas engine from day one up till 456,000 miles before I replaced the engine with a rebuilt one because of a cracked head and using oil after 360,000 miles. Everything with gas engines gets an oil change every 5000 miles. In the past 2 years I've talked them into letting me put synthetic oil in the newer cars and I can only use the cheaper Fram oil. I have no argument about oil in telling them they use the wrong oil when everything they own goes a minimum of 300,000 and up to 500,000 before they are replaced. The owner is adamant about changing the oil at 5000 miles, his words are "oil is cheaper than metal". All of that said I still won't use it in any of my personal cars even though I could get it free. Not only that but I use one of the most expensive oils there is which is Red Line. I still have never and will never go over a 5000 mile oil change no matter what oil manufactures recommend. What's worked for me for near 50 years is what I'm going to continue to do. Just my personal opinion.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
The only time i've ever been called Richard is when i've been in trouble,usually it's the wife calling me that :Big Laugh: :Big Laugh: :Big Laugh:
Oh how I know this one, lol. I learned to ask my wife who am I today in advance to know if it's gonna be a good day, when I hear my Bible name, I know I'm screwed.