Aftermarket Wheel Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KnurledNut

SemperFi
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not sure what's up with my wheels. They are aftermarket aluminum. I've always just washed and waxed them. Lately I noticed what appears to be a coating that's failing. Do they need a scotch brite cleaning? Professional refinishing? No corrosion, no scratches on the aluminum. The pics suck, but it's 95 gazillion degrees.

I didn't want to do anything until the RF brethren had their say.

RAM WHEEL 1.jpgRAM WHEEL 2.jpgRAM WHEEL 3.jpg

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L non-Etorque
I would contact customer support for the wheel manufacturer and see if they can suggest anything. To me that looks like the kind of damage we get here from the magnesium chloride the state road department uses on the highways in winter as a deicer. Hopefully that's not what it is on your wheels.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I agree, contact the manufacturer and send them pics and see what they recommend. How long have they been on the truck and how many miles?

Do you use a lot of "tire wet" or something similar? I have seen some of them cause damage to the finish of some wheels, especially aftermarket chrome when it slings or drips on the wheel and let there.

OP
OP
KnurledNut

KnurledNut

SemperFi
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I agree, contact the manufacturer and send them pics and see what they recommend. How long have they been on the truck and how many miles?

Do you use a lot of "tire wet" or something similar? I have seen some of them cause damage to the finish of some wheels, especially aftermarket chrome when it slings or drips on the wheel and let there.
Truck has 107k miles. Wheels have been on 6-7 years. No tire treatments. Just wax.

No magnesium. I'm in Florida. Never driven on the sand or standing salt water.

hemihustlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I would use something like this. I usually have a tube of autosol lying around but these days the only chrome i have left to polish is my exhaust tips haha
but im far from an expert in polishing chrome so maybe someone will have better advise!

CanuckRam1313

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
It looks like a top coat finish wearing off to me.
With 6 to 7 years of use, I'd reach out to the manufacture of them and ask their opinion and what can be done to restore them.