AlphaOBD and Elm327 (Blue knockoff brand)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bighorn60

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Good morning.
I just purchased a 2016 Ram Bighorn Quad Cab with 5.7L Hemi about a month ago. It has power adjustable tow mirrors with the built in Turn signals. Turn signals do not come on when the blinker is turned on and I noticed the Puddle lights are very dim but do come on. I think they are just disabled and was trying to use AlfaOBD to turn them on or at least see if they are already active and there is another issue. I bought replacement lights just in case but they have a large connector inside the mirror and the truck has the smaller connector (bought off Amazon and they didn't specify what size the connector was. Anyway the issue I'm having is when I hook out the blue adapter into the port AlfaOBD connects to it and I can select the truck in the first box and Body Computer on the second box and when I select the option MY2016 powernet and tell it to connect it tries 4 attempts and says it failed. Any body got an idea why? Is it the Generic Elm327 connector could it be that I'm not choosing the correct Body Module Powernet? I see there there are several options that the 2016 could be used in. Thoughts? Yes i have tried to unhook and re-power several times and it keeps saying to try again and make sure the key is in MAR. In upstate NY close to Cooperstown if someone with knowledge on this stuff is willing to walk me thru it.

jawzs2

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010, 2014
Engine
1500, 3500
It's probably the adapter you're using - the AlphaOBD thread has a few posts of the ones that some folks have used successfully, but be forewarned, it is a lot of reading

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Good morning.
I just purchased a 2016 Ram Bighorn Quad Cab with 5.7L Hemi about a month ago. It has power adjustable tow mirrors with the built in Turn signals. Turn signals do not come on when the blinker is turned on and I noticed the Puddle lights are very dim but do come on. I think they are just disabled and was trying to use AlfaOBD to turn them on or at least see if they are already active and there is another issue. I bought replacement lights just in case but they have a large connector inside the mirror and the truck has the smaller connector (bought off Amazon and they didn't specify what size the connector was. Anyway the issue I'm having is when I hook out the blue adapter into the port AlfaOBD connects to it and I can select the truck in the first box and Body Computer on the second box and when I select the option MY2016 powernet and tell it to connect it tries 4 attempts and says it failed. Any body got an idea why? Is it the Generic Elm327 connector could it be that I'm not choosing the correct Body Module Powernet? I see there there are several options that the 2016 could be used in. Thoughts? Yes i have tried to unhook and re-power several times and it keeps saying to try again and make sure the key is in MAR. In upstate NY close to Cooperstown if someone with knowledge on this stuff is willing to walk me thru it.
Did you connect AlfaOBD to the adapter first?

OP
OP
B

Bighorn60

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I did and it showed connected to my tablet in Alfaobd. Just seems like it won't connect to the PowerNet module (3rd selection) so that I can go into configuration change. Just trying to see if the issue is the little blue adapter. I have read that a lot of people have trouble with this type of adapter no matter the brand of it. Trying to not spent the money on the MX+ if I don't have to as money is real tight right now..

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I did and it showed connected to my tablet in Alfaobd. Just seems like it won't connect to the PowerNet module (3rd selection) so that I can go into configuration change. Just trying to see if the issue is the little blue adapter. I have read that a lot of people have trouble with this type of adapter no matter the brand of it. Trying to not spent the money on the MX+ if I don't have to as money is real tight right now..

Try connecting the elm interface to the OBD port first, then to AlfaOBD.

There are known problems if you connect to AlfaOBD first.

There are several other less expensive interface solutions besides the MX+.

I use AlfaOBD for Windows on a laptop with the OBDlink SX USB interface. Much faster and more reliable.

aszumilo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Try connecting the elm interface to the OBD port first, then to AlfaOBD.

There are known problems if you connect to AlfaOBD first.

There are several other less expensive interface solutions besides the MX+.

I use AlfaOBD for Windows on a laptop with the OBDlink SX USB interface. Much faster and more reliable.

I use the same setup as you and haven't had any problems either.

OP
OP
B

Bighorn60

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
OK I have been connecting the OBDII to the tablet first so it is connected to the tablet. I then turn on the key and then connect to AlfaOBD and still get the same issue. When I get home i will try some of the other Powernet modules and see if they will connect. The MY2016+ does not. There is a 2013 -2017 powernet module that I can try.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OK I have been connecting the OBDII to the tablet first so it is connected to the tablet. I then turn on the key and then connect to AlfaOBD and still get the same issue. When I get home i will try some of the other Powernet modules and see if they will connect. The MY2016+ does not. There is a 2013 -2017 powernet module that I can try.

Please post the name and model number of the ELM interface device. Is this a Bluetooth type interface or a USB type?

Does your tablet use Windows or Android?

When I suggested connecting to the OBD port first, perhaps I wasn't clear.

Regardless if the interface is a wireless Bluetooth or a hardline USB, with the tablet not connected to anything and AlfaOBD NOT started, connect the ELM interface to the OBD2 port on the truck.

Wait a few minutes and monitor the status LEDs on the interface. The interface should have a connection status light, some are green, others are red when connected.

Once you observe the connection status LED illuminated on the interface indicating a successful connection to the OBD2 port, start AlfaOBD on the tablet and try to connect.

On the Windows version of AlfaOBD, there is an advanced button on the start tab that after selection will display an interface type pull down.

It has options for 3 different types of ELM interfaces. Check that the correct interface is selected and then select the connect button.

If you have any questions, please ask.

Last edited:

04fxdwgi

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Not all ELM327 OBDII dongles are created equal. The cheaper ones "usually" will only connect to the comm lines on the OBD port that will see a limited number of PIDs and even fewer pids that can be manipulated and clear "some" associated CELs.

The better ones will hit the most modules, most PIDs and will be able to manipulate them more than just "clear CEL", like an actual diagnostic tool will. You get what you pay for, as the saying goes.

My choice of combination is my windows10 laptop and the OBDLink MX+. serves me well and does anything I ask of it within the capabilities of the AlfaOBD program.

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Good morning.

Before you go buy anything new.

If I read what you wrote correctly. It is connecting, But you are having issues trying to connect to the Body Module.
There should be 3-4 options for 2016 Or 2013-2018 or something like that. Try each one. See if it will connect.

If all of them, time out, which is the error you are getting above. The module you have isn't compatible.
You could also try one of the other modules, just as test.

Here is the one, Jimmy07 has mentioned other users get.

It's relatively cheap and works. He's most knowledgeable person on these forums for programming Stellantis cars/trucks.

Last edited:

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Before you go buy anything new.

If I read what you wrote correctly. It is connecting, But you are having issues trying to connect to the Body Module.
There should be 3-4 options for 2016 Or 2013-2018 or something like that. Try each one. See if it will connect.

If all of them, time out, which is the error you are getting above. The module you have isn't compatible.
You could also try one of the other modules, just as test.

Here is the one, Jimmy07 has mentioned other uses get.

It's relatively cheap and works. He's most knowledgeable person on these forums for programming Stellantis cars/trucks.

Maybe, you're onto something here and your interpretation of the OPer's fault is more correct.

I have a '21 Warlock but use Body computer: MY2019PowerNet on AlfaOBD.

AlfaOBD Body computer options.jpg

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
It's possible, I had same issue with my older truck on certain modules.

It could be his device or order he's trying to connect as well. I would try to connecting other functions, if all are failing, it's either the order or device.

jawzs2

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010, 2014
Engine
1500, 3500
Just to elaborate - from the AlfaOBD website:

"An ebay interface based on an ELM327 clone might work fine if you are lucky. But there are lots of defective interfaces sold which can not establish connection to car ECUs under AlfaOBD. If, when connecting to a car ECU AlfaOBD displays a message "Interface reports NO DATA" or "Interface reports CAN ERROR", this is most probably a sign that you have one of these defective interfaces. If such an interface works OK with other OBDII diagnostic software it is because this software uses a different connection mode (standard OBDII/EOBD). "

Some have reported success using the BAFX bluetooth adapter, (although I don't think it's available on Amazon anymore), or the Veepeak Mini Bluetooth adapter, less the $15 on Amazon.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just to elaborate - from the AlfaOBD website:

"An ebay interface based on an ELM327 clone might work fine if you are lucky. But there are lots of defective interfaces sold which can not establish connection to car ECUs under AlfaOBD. If, when connecting to a car ECU AlfaOBD displays a message "Interface reports NO DATA" or "Interface reports CAN ERROR", this is most probably a sign that you have one of these defective interfaces. If such an interface works OK with other OBDII diagnostic software it is because this software uses a different connection mode (standard OBDII/EOBD). "

Some have reported success using the BAFX bluetooth adapter, (although I don't think it's available on Amazon anymore), or the Veepeak Mini Bluetooth adapter, less the $15 on Amazon.

I have a BAFX Bluetooth adapter and have no difficulty using it with AlfaOBD to make changes.

I prefer to use the OBDlink SX USB interface with my Windows laptop for AlfaOBD.

I asked Alexey for and received a discount coupon to purchase the Android version of AlfaOBD after buying the Windows version but I don't believe using an Android device to alter settings on my truck is very prudent.

The Android OS is quite problematic, the devices from a technical prospective suck pretty bad and don't get me started on the privacy violation aspects of all things Google or Android.

I have some technical insights after spending most of my working life in Telecommunications. :cool:

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I have a BAFX Bluetooth adapter and have no difficulty using it with AlfaOBD to make changes.

I prefer to use the OBDlink SX USB interface with my Windows laptop for AlfaOBD.

I asked Alexey for and received a discount coupon to purchase the Android version of AlfaOBD after buying the Windows version but I don't believe using an Android device to alter settings on my truck is very prudent.

The Android OS is quite problematic, the devices from a technical prospective suck pretty bad and don't get me started on the privacy violation aspects of all things Google or Android.

I have some technical insights after spending most of my working life in Telecommunications. :cool:

Don't take this wrong, and I don't start OS war. But you are saying Android/Linux is problematic compared to Windows???

First time I seen you write that, I thought it was joke.

I use the windows version because HP tune software runs it, otherwise I would not. It's worse OS in history of computers.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Don't take this wrong, and I don't start OS war. But you are saying Android/Linux is problematic compared to Windows???

First time I seen you write that, I thought it was joke.

I use the windows version because HP tune software runs it, otherwise I would not. It's worse OS in history of computers.

LOL.

I would have to agree about Windows being hideous too but only if we we're talking about how it is released.

I haven't much bad to say about Linex, I detest Android unless rooted but even then it's just barely useful.

I've been tweaking Windows since 3.1, what can be altered and adjusted/fixed with Windows 10 & 11 is remarkable and almost endless.

No auto updates, no Bing, no Edge, privacy is much better but a bit short of perfection. What's not to like? :cool:

jawzs2

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010, 2014
Engine
1500, 3500
I agree, since I did IT, I have to thank Bill for providing me the means to buy all the stuff I have, and all the stuff my wife has...LOL