Analog vs Digital speedometer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Socal1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
On my RAM 2021 1500 4x4 with a 5.7 hemi they speedometer read different miles per hour. The digital one reads about 2 miles an hour more than the analog. It's really not a big deal I was just kind of curious as to why this might happen. Anyone have an answer for this? Thanks very much in advance

Loudram

Just a sinner saved by grace
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've heard of that happening. I myself haven't experienced it in any of my Rams. There was a thread in here somewhere a while ago that addressed this issue but I don't remember what the reason was that it happens.

I personally like having the analog speedometer with the digital. My wife was driving my truck once and she accidentally switched it to Km. She panicked for a second because she didn't know how fast she was going until she remembered that the analog speedometer was right there. In her Jeep GC the dash is 100% digital. No analog back up there.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
The analog speedo is driven from same reference signal as the digital speed.
If the analog is off it's probably a needle calibration issue, the cluster would need to be opened and the needle repositioned. The analog needle is not a certified calibration.

skates15

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The analog speedo is driven from same reference signal as the digital speed.
If the analog is off it's probably a needle calibration issue, the cluster would need to be opened and the needle repositioned. The analog needle is not a certified calibration.
Yep. Manufacturers are not going to pay for 2 different input signals. It's a single digital input that the 'analog' is displaying.

brian42

Military
Reaction score
Mine have usually been off about 1 mph between the two for most of the vehicles I've owned that had both...and the RAM was no different.

Never bothered me enough to have it looked at. I figured that it would end up worse if I did anyway.