Anyone modified their horn - I want something more obnoxious..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lezmark7

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Big Horn 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ideally if I could just tap into the horn wiring and add another horn (without causing a fuse draw problem) I would love to do that. There certainly times when I would like to blow away some of these idiot drivers. No, i dont want to go the air horn route - just go louder!

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ideally if I could just tap into the horn wiring and add another horn (without causing a fuse draw problem) I would love to do that. There certainly times when I would like to blow away some of these idiot drivers. No, i dont want to go the air horn route - just go louder!

Yup, I hear ya.

The horn circuit is likely engineered to accommodate the current draw of the existing horn with a slightly overbuilt amount for safe operation.

You might consider using this horn circuit to drive a relay which could supply an additional and dedicated circuit for the new horn. :cool:

diymirage

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
short of an actaul airhorn, there really isnt much out there
sure, they sell all these horns that are marketed as 150 DB, but they are barely louder then a stocker

as far as being worried about the circuit draw, just disconnect the positive wire from the horn, and run it into the switch port of a relay and you're golden

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
Being obnoxious can certainly result in louder noises.

No winners there. I'm dealt with the aftermath of shooting someone who needed shooting, it's a lot more stressful than someone being stupid in traffic. I'd too tired to deal with people's stupidity and would rather just let some retard in traffic go on their way being ******** then "teach them a lesson" or otherwise engage. You do you, just something to consider before becoming a self appointed driving instructor via loud noises.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
AZ - 83 Miles SW of the Geographical Center
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
And here I went and pulled my F42 fuse so the dang thing doesn't honk at me when I get out and close the door with the engine running and the fob on my belt. In the 1.5 years I've had the truck I think those are the only times the horn has sounded.

Last edited:

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The horn on my 2014 sounds like a dying cow needs replacement would love something louder for those NY drivers will be watching.

Kickboxer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi-non-Etorque
JC Whitney, has lots of options.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I am going to mount a button, in a handy location, just for a separate Horn.

If i currently want to warn someone about something, like they are backing up way too close to me & i want to use the OEM Horn.

By the time the horn finally blows, that other car is already over in the next town.
The Built in DELAY, plus the darn Air Bag spring, makes my Rams horn almost useless.

My current Horn is plenty loud enough, it just is not instantaneous

WSix

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
And here I went and pulled my F42 fuse so the dang thing doesn't honk at me when I get out and close the door with the engine running and the fob on my belt. In the 1.5 years I've had the truck I think those are the only times the horn has sounded.
I'm going to see if that will work on my 1500!
Today I accidentally left my fob in the truck when I shut it down, jumped out and shut the door locked, it honked at me about 3 times.

Warlock2024

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
I live in northern Virginia and you HAVE to use your horn at least weekly or you'll just get ran into, 99% of the time it's by someone on their phone. Last year I had a Kia K5, got hit by someone backing out of a parking spot at work, on his phone. I was doing maybe 6 mph at the time, he came out way too fast on his phone and not looking behind him where I was. 3 months later to the day, a women pulled out of the far right lane which was stopped while traffic in the lane I was in is doing 35 and hit the Kia in the same place I got hit the first time, back passenger door, back wheel and quarter panel. First thing she said was, "how did you not see me coming out?". Had I had time in both instances to blow my horn, I would have but neither of them were moving until I was beside/behind them. Now I'm even more cautious when driving but I do hate the horn delay because I have no choice a lot of the time.

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins
I was riding with a guy once, when someone did a quick glance at a stop sign and started to pull out in front of us. Instead of hitting the horn, he screamed "F%^& it!" and hit the accelerator. We hit them, plenty hard. I busted a gut I was laughing so hard.....Ah, that was exhilarating. :driver:

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I live in northern Virginia and you HAVE to use your horn at least weekly or you'll just get ran into, 99% of the time it's by someone on their phone. Last year I had a Kia K5, got hit by someone backing out of a parking spot at work, on his phone. I was doing maybe 6 mph at the time, he came out way too fast on his phone and not looking behind him where I was. 3 months later to the day, a women pulled out of the far right lane which was stopped while traffic in the lane I was in is doing 35 and hit the Kia in the same place I got hit the first time, back passenger door, back wheel and quarter panel. First thing she said was, "how did you not see me coming out?". Had I had time in both instances to blow my horn, I would have but neither of them were moving until I was beside/behind them. Now I'm even more cautious when driving but I do hate the horn delay because I have no choice a lot of the time.

Do they not have distracted driving laws in your area?

It gets rather expensive here but I still see people almost daily with a cell phone in-hand.

I'm with you on remaining alert and ready to awaken fools with your horn.

For those that choose to defeat their horn to avoid the nanny chirps, I would only do that while using an override circuit that would automatically reactivate the horn when the ignition is on.

Like you, I couldn't imagine driving anywhere without a functional horn.

I plan to investigate this crappy horn delay, I hate it too. Hopefully, I can find a solution other than a complete overbuild.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was riding with a guy once, when someone did a quick glance at a stop sign and started to pull out in front of us. Instead of hitting the horn, he screamed "F%^& it!" and hit the accelerator. We hit them, plenty hard. I busted a gut I was laughing so hard.....Ah, that was exhilarating. :driver:

OMG, thanks for the laugh, it brought tears too. LOL

I would hope that he was driving a big old beater instead of a fancy new Ram truck or something nice. :cool:

Warlock2024

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
From this morning.

Do they not have distracted driving laws in your area?
They do, but rarely enforced. Hell, even the cops do it! Difference is the cops don't do 10 mph under the speed limit in the fast lane or swerve all over the place.

A solution to the delay would be awesome, but I don't know jack about anything under the hoods nowadays, well, for the most part!

Runaround

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm going to see if that will work on my 1500!
Today I accidentally left my fob in the truck when I shut it down, jumped out and shut the door locked, it honked at me about 3 times.

markabby

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
i always liked the Road Runner horns, in fact i have one sitting in the garage.

These days, i try my best not to get excited over other drivers. On the road....."It is what it is".

And, it seems like there are more bad drivers these days than ever before. In fact, I question if some states even have drivers tests any more! Likewise, I'm sure others have cursed me out once in a while too. There's a lot of anxiety on the roads, it all depends where your head is at.

But, I refuse to allow idiots to give me high blood pressure.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The delay doesn’t matter to me near as much as how hard you have to push them to make them work. It too hard to just get a little chirp out of them when you try to lightly push them.

I find it next to impossible to get a chirp without blaring the horn.

I've tried different techniques of pounding the base of my fist on it quickly and it does nothing or a longer than I want, loud horning.

The odd thing is that I found this setting in AlfaOBD but it's already set to Yes on my truck.

AlfaOBD horn chirp.jpg