Anyone modified their horn - I want something more obnoxious..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
AZ - 83 Miles SW of the Geographical Center
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I'm going to see if that will work on my 1500!
Today I accidentally left my fob in the truck when I shut it down, jumped out and shut the door locked, it honked at me about 3 times.
Mine won't do that as I have manual locks. If I leave the fob/keys inside, get out lock the door and close it...well, I just locked my keys in the truck. This is why my extra key is in a magnetic box along my frame rail.
Do they not have distracted driving laws in your area?

It gets rather expensive here but I still see people almost daily with a cell phone in-hand.

I'm with you on remaining alert and ready to awaken fools with your horn.

For those that choose to defeat their horn to avoid the nanny chirps, I would only do that while using an override circuit that would automatically reactivate the horn when the ignition is on.

Like you, I couldn't imagine driving anywhere without a functional horn.

I plan to investigate this crappy horn delay, I hate it too. Hopefully, I can find a solution other than a complete overbuild.

I can probably count on one hand the number of times I have used my horn in the past 20 years. And 4 of those times was simply tooting at someone I knew on the street.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I can probably count on one hand the number of times I have used my horn in the past 20 years. And 4 of those times was simply tooting at someone I knew on the street.

Admittedly, the only use in the rural area where I live is for a hello to wavers.

It's rarely required in the nearby village where I get most of the supplies but, as soon as I visit the big city of Ottawa (the largest around here), the stupidity factor seems to amplify logarithmically and exponentially to the point of requiring numerous horning activities.

It's mostly used as a preventative measure but sometimes you just have to blast the idiots.
Handguns have been outlawed by our supreme True-idiot so the worst we get in response is a loud (insert your preferred curse here). The word nanny doesn't like acronyms either.

Even in the city, a quick chirp would be preferable to a blast, mostly.

rzr6-4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
And here I went and pulled my F42 fuse so the dang thing doesn't honk at me when I get out and close the door with the engine running and the fob on my belt. In the 1.5 years I've had the truck I think those are the only times the horn has sounded.

When I rebuilt my sierra I didn't bother to reinstall the horn as I thought there was no way I'd need it. Then after less than a month back on the road, after nearly getting hit twice and having to sit behind someone at a green light all in the same week, I decided I needed to put it back in.

diymirage

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
In fact, I question if some states even have drivers tests any more! Likewise, I'm sure others have cursed me out once in a while too. There's a lot of anxiety on the roads, it all depends where your head is at.

But, I refuse to allow idiots to give me high blood pressure.

i believe new york (as well as some other states) has a welcome package for **** that ilegaly crosses our border, it included a free cell phone, voter id, and drivers license

Warlock2024

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
I had to test my horn in different ways yesterday on the way home, when I wasn't close to anyone. I did find that if I hit the bottom of the horn area with the base of my palm, I was able to get a quick horn blow instead of a long one, it was still slightly delayed, but it worked! Getting a chirp-chirp is out of the question!

Crazyro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I am going to mount a button, in a handy location, just for a separate Horn.

If i currently want to warn someone about something, like they are backing up way too close to me & i want to use the OEM Horn.

By the time the horn finally blows, that other car is already over in the next town.
The Built in DELAY, plus the darn Air Bag spring, makes my Rams horn almost useless.

My current Horn is plenty loud enough, it just is not instantaneous
That's what I did. Cheap air horn off Amazon - not a train horn, but loud enough. Added it behind front grill and ran a wire inside cab, center console area. So now when I'm really mad, I can sound air horn AND steering wheel horn at the same time, though generally I use the air horn.

Evguy1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RAM1500
Engine
Cummins ISB 170
I also wanted a way of communicating my displeasure with others driving habits. ;>) I installed a very effective air horn from a semi. I only wanted it when I really needed it so I put a time delay relay on the stock horn wire to energize the air horn. You hit the stock horn button and the stock horn sounds and then a couple of seconds later the air horn cuts in. This allowed me to give a friendly Beep Beep without the air horn. Those time delay relays are adjustable so you can set it for one second or whatever delay you want. One my new 3500 I installed the same semi air horn only added a foot switch under the carpet so it was instant when needed and was not tied into the stock system. Only used it twice in the last 6 months when it was really needed. I have also started to let a lot of stupidity just go other than stuff that directly impacts my safety.

Jbinramona

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Wolo Bad Boy Air horn. Works awesome in parallel with the stocker.

Hagar1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Admittedly, the only use in the rural area where I live is for a hello to wavers.

It's rarely required in the nearby village where I get most of the supplies but, as soon as I visit the big city of Ottawa (the largest around here), the stupidity factor seems to amplify logarithmically and exponentially to the point of requiring numerous horning activities.

It's mostly used as a preventative measure but sometimes you just have to blast the idiots.
Handguns have been outlawed by our supreme True-idiot so the worst we get in response is a loud (insert your preferred curse here). The word nanny doesn't like acronyms either.

Even in the city, a quick chirp would be preferable to a blast, mostly.

Then there is the certain demographic in Rottawa that looks "through" the steering wheel rather than over it.
Those that owned a handgun before trudum's decree are still owning them. The only exceptions are the gang bangers, they all have a blanket ATC!

ashman155

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I had train horns installed from horn Blasters. many a time they saved my bacon as they say stupid drivers, not looking when changing lanes i.e big rigs or they drift into your lane, or backing out of parking spaces one quick blast from them and boy oh boy they move back over back into the parking space pretty quick and crap themselves. even when they are on their cell phones one blast they almost throw their phones down. People who eat food when driving same thing. I had a guy throw his food out the window at me. Pull over and eat. They were a godsend, a guy told me they were illegal then complained about how motorbikes and their loud mufflers i.e. Harley's I just looked at him then he realized what he just said and shut up, knowing i was right only used on idiots who can't drive but from horn blasters they did the trick,

rvance

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pent 3.6
I've put air horns on 2/3 of the vehicles I have had. I lived in Houston and there are so many distractions that sometimes you really need to get people's attention. But they don't always get the desired effect. I had a quad air horn/dual compressor setup on my Goldwing and I blew at a car starting to make a left turn in front of me. The startled driver turned directly into me and to this day I don't know how I swerved out of the cars path. I live in the country now and people only use horns to say high to friends, which is pretty much everyone.

StateOfMind

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
They sell several aftermarket ones out there.
Yes, there are many aftermarket horns available. In my case, and I believe the same holds true for the original poster, is a recommendation of one that works as advertised. Stating that there are several does not whittle down the results.

Tuffta

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had 1960 Cadillac triple horns on my 91 D250. They were really loud! Wish i kept them.
I was going to say exact same thing. I used horns from a Cadillac in my old truck. They were loudest factory set I could fine. Definitely an upgrade

Connie Mack

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Diesel
I have train horns mounted under my tool box. put switch in the cig ligher position. pretty loud. Note do not get the train horn with the air tank, you have to constantly drain moisture out.

Attachments

• 20210322_165344.jpg
    20210322_165344.jpg
    183.8 KB · Views: 5

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
I was riding with a guy once, when someone did a quick glance at a stop sign and started to pull out in front of us. Instead of hitting the horn, he screamed "F%^& it!" and hit the accelerator. We hit them, plenty hard. I busted a gut I was laughing so hard.....Ah, that was exhilarating. :driver:
Sometimes ,I would love to just hit and drive over them, but I like my truck too much and I want it to be my last one.

I use to have a 1963 IHC heavy 1/2 ton a old rancher had, He had a front bumper made out of a section of rail way track, some days I wish I still have that truck. They where so heavy , did not really need a bumper.
At one time ,I use to have a air horn that run off a can of Freon , it would almost lift the hood. EPA would have a heart attack these days.

These days in this country, it cost $250 fee and you walk home if you get caught with your phone in hands. Hands free is OK. But you still see idiots that don't think the rules apply.

About the only time I hear my horn is the beep when I hit the lock button.
I kind of like the 3 beeps , the doors will not lock if the fob is in the truck, mind you the dog can lock you out, but the dog thought it was her truck anyway.
Never complained about my driving.
Thought the wife should ride in the back seat, Good thing Ram came out with the club cab.
Pup.jpg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
i always liked the Road Runner horns, in fact i have one sitting in the garage.

These days, i try my best not to get excited over other drivers. On the road....."It is what it is".

And, it seems like there are more bad drivers these days than ever before. In fact, I question if some states even have drivers tests any more! Likewise, I'm sure others have cursed me out once in a while too. There's a lot of anxiety on the roads, it all depends where your head is at.

But, I refuse to allow idiots to give me high blood pressure.
Unfortunately, there’s bupkis you can do to stop your body from dumping adrenaline into your system when you see your life flash before your eyes. :-/