brand new and have a problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SuzeH

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2.9l
I own a 1998 Dodge Ram 1500. I think it is a 2.9 liter. The air bag light came on this morning...and stayed on. The chime was intermittent. I have not hit anything, nor come to any sudden stops. My seat belt was fully engaged and no passenger in the seat next to me.
I contacted my mechanic and he said "maybe it's a warranty issue due to being a safety concern"...he wouldn't look at it. He also said "it's sort of safe to drive" which made me feel very uneasy. The truck isn't under any kind of warranty considering its age. So I contacted a dealer who wants $200.00 to "check it out" but wouldn't say what he would be checking.
Any ideas on what it could mean and estimated cost to fix? I will have to save over a few months to get any extra money for repairs as I am on social security. I can get alternative transportation in the meantime from neighbors/friends.

ric221

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Welcome

KWal

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
I've got a 2006 that had the airbag light come on when I changes the radio unit. I believe it's a pinched wire somewhere, but multiple tries to fix it haven't worked. At this point, I just drive it as usual. The way I see it, airbags didn't exist for decades and probably millions of cars. My odds of survival are probably pretty high with the amount of use the truck gets. Maybe the airbag would work, maybe not. I don't intend on finding out the hard way. The truck still passes state safety inspections and runs and drives fine. YMMV.

OP
OP
S

SuzeH

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2.9l
so does that annoying chime come on all the time when you drive? and is there a way to shut it up? This is the first vehicle I've had that even HAS an airbag and after driving it for darned near 40 years I've never had to use one...so if I can still drive the truck without worrying about it blowing up on me suddenly I will be a very happy camper.
And, thank you for your service. My hubs was Army Nurse Corps for 50 years.

markabby

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
check the wire contacts on the seat belts first...being a 1998, could be a bad connection. maybe one of the wires isn't making a good contact and sending a bad signal.

that would be my first and simplest area to check first

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Welcome to the ram forum, there is a sensor in the front grill, maybe the connection is corroded or shorted out check that first.

OP
OP
S

SuzeH

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2.9l
hey guys. First thanks for all the input and a few emails to explain what I could check out before putting out 200 bucks at the dealership. I checked under each seat, all connections were tight, no frayed wires anywhere. I checked the sensor under the hood. It seems fine, no corrosion, no water marks, no nothing except some dust...I do live in the boonies so that's to be expected. I checked out the fuses inside the drivers door and FOUND a broken fuse! Replaced it, checked ALL the fuses while I was in there, and replaced a few. Put the cover back on, checked the fuses under the hood...low and behold the a/c fuse was bad, so that got fixed too. cover back on, replaced the battery wires and started the truck. NO Airbag light and my A/C worked for the first time in seven years! I am so danged proud of myself; not only for connecting with you all but for being able to fix something under the hood besides being able to change my oil! THANKS!!!

markabby

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
hey guys. First thanks for all the input and a few emails to explain what I could check out before putting out 200 bucks at the dealership. I checked under each seat, all connections were tight, no frayed wires anywhere. I checked the sensor under the hood. It seems fine, no corrosion, no water marks, no nothing except some dust...I do live in the boonies so that's to be expected. I checked out the fuses inside the drivers door and FOUND a broken fuse! Replaced it, checked ALL the fuses while I was in there, and replaced a few. Put the cover back on, checked the fuses under the hood...low and behold the a/c fuse was bad, so that got fixed too. cover back on, replaced the battery wires and started the truck. NO Airbag light and my A/C worked for the first time in seven years! I am so danged proud of myself; not only for connecting with you all but for being able to fix something under the hood besides being able to change my oil! THANKS!!!

imagine that...who would have thought.....glad you got it fixed! but, are you sure you just didn't reset the light by disconnecting the battery cables?

you'll know for sure after driving it for a while. let's hope it stays off and that fuse did the trick!

OP
OP
S

SuzeH

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2.9l
Yep, I am sure....I drove for a good two hours afterwards, with multiple starts and stops...and on dirt roads. I figured bumpy roads would make it ping back on again if there were something else wrong with it.

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yep, I am sure....I drove for a good two hours afterwards, with multiple starts and stops...and on dirt roads. I figured bumpy roads would make it ping back on again if there were something else wrong with it.
Congratulations on doing your own troubleshooting and reporting back!!!