broken driveshaft

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

az88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
my driveshaft broke at 100mph once i shifted, and I'm searching for a new one but the prices are high for a single cab 2018 2wd short bed

any ideas where I can get a used/new driveshaft for a reasonable price ??

OP
OP
A

az88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I meant something online i could order, but thanks

BenchTest

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm seeing around $1000-$1100 online. Maybe an option to get a used one from a salvage place that sells online. No idea what that would cost to ship.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
az88
you might check on a store that is located in Dubai

They may know of a shop that is local to your location,
that builds drive shafts ??

Ram 1500 5.7L , Standard Cab , Short Bed ...

I seem to remember that Standard Cab had trouble with the Drive Shafts
BUT, i don't recall if it was with the Long or Short Beds

They had put out a Warning about High Speed Driving

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
As BigSky stated get ahold of Matt Fikac at Moes in Texas,he'll set you up.I'm guessing your truck is lowered,if it is,he'll need to know how much it's lowered,as the driveshaft length changes when you lower the trucks.You're lucky if all you need is the driveshaft,lots of guys have had the driveshaft break the transmission / punch holes in the gas tank etc,when it lets go,especially at a 100 mph,lol.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
There must be a driveline shop there which could make one up,...I would think(???). Even if it's an all-steel unit

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
There must be a driveline shop there which could make one up,...I would think(???). Even if it's an all-steel unit
The biggest issue with the 2 wheel drive regular cab shortbox 8 speed trucks,is there's no slip yoke into the transmission,it's a bolt on flange on both the transmission and diff,so the slip yoke has to be incorporated into the driveshaft itself,and that's where the issue is. The driveshaft wants to turn itself into a skipping rope at the slip joint,once the driveshaft starts to exceed it's 5300 rpm critical shaft rpm. Guys have had the driveshaft fling itself out from under the trucks at speeds as low as 70 mph,but that's after they've made a few runs to 100+ mph,and the shaft has been stressed a couple times.
There's times i'm glad mines a 4X4 as it still uses a normal driveshaft with a slip yoke into the transfer case

OP
OP
A

az88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
As BigSky stated get ahold of Matt Fikac at Moes in Texas,he'll set you up.I'm guessing your truck is lowered,if it is,he'll need to know how much it's lowered,as the driveshaft length changes when you lower the trucks.You're lucky if all you need is the driveshaft,lots of guys have had the driveshaft break the transmission / punch holes in the gas tank etc,when it lets go,especially at a 100 mph,lol.

no its back to stock suspension, and yes It punched my muffler and the mid-pipe but not the gas tank thankfully and i really hope the transmission did not break is there a way i can check before installing a new driveshaft ?

OP
OP
A

az88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
yes i found some local shops that can do it, but I'm afraid that maybe after using it for a while it would affect my transmission

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
no its back to stock suspension, and yes It punched my muffler and the mid-pipe but not the gas tank thankfully and i really hope the transmission did not break is there a way i can check before installing a new driveshaft ?
Crawl around underneath the truck,and look the transmission case over close for any cracks in the case.Usually if you don't have any transmission leaks,you should be okay,but i'd look close for any cracks.