Carfax

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RebelDad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just wondering if there is anyway to get service records besides carfax. My truck according to carfax is showing 31 records, Id like to see them but it's 44 bucks lol

Black-Wolf

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
AFAIK, not without knowing where it was serviced - you'd have to go to each service location and pull them manually. Note that CARFAX only has service records that either a "participating" service location provides, or that were manually entered (usually as a DIY or for service locations that are not enrolled in the CARFAX service record system). If a service was performed, but not entered - even if the service location participates, it won't be in the CARFAX records.

diymirage

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just a heads up, carfax doesn't show everything

I bought a tiburon once, ran the carfax and all clear

Drove it home, opened the glove box and found a pile of bodyshop reciepts...all cash

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Some of the information on CarFax can also be wrong. My buddy's travel trailer was backed into and because it was attached to the truck when it happened the CarFax for his truck showed it was in a rear end accident. The trailer was a fiver and it was side body damage from someone backing into it at a gas station.
My buddy tried to get that removed/amended from the CarFax but was taking too long and he sold the truck.

Jerrybob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I don't trust Carfax due to reasons above by others. If possible....I prefer having a good mechanic check the vehicle before purchase....worth the money.

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins
I wrecked a truck once, got it fixed, and had that thing traded into the dealer before the repair hit Carfax...Only cost me a $50 tip to get the adviser to hold back on closing the ticket for a few days to do it. If they wanna play the game, they can't hate the players who do it better.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
OP, I think there's another once called "Autocheck" or something like that. It generally shows the same service history and is a bit cheaper.

As for the general reliability of Carfax, etc. I agree with others but for what OP is using it for it's at least some information. I like Carfax for the information and clues but definitely don't rely on it as an end all.

Years ago my business partner got drunk and drove his (nearly new) truck into a tree.... managed to drive it home and called his insurance in the morning. Took it to a shop and they actually repaired it.... can't believe it wasn't totalled. I was amazed that the whole thing never made Carfax. Back then some insurance companies didn't report (IIRC, it was Farmers). Have to think now days they all do but am not sure?

StateOfMind

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Head over to the National Motor Vehicle Title Information System. gov site, there are a list of approved vendors that you can get info at least a good or better than Carfax. One of the first listed, (I think it is called bumper) you can get a week trial for a buck, and it let's you run a bunch of title checks during your trial.

Most info will be incomplete, but it's certainly worth pocket change

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Do you take your truck to the dealer for service? If so, the dealer would have a record, even if it was serviced by other Chrysler dealerships. If you've owned it since new they might show you or even (possibly) print them out. If it was independent shops, then that's another matter.

When I bought my pickup many yrs ago, I went to the dealer who tapped in the vin to see what had been done. I think I had to show them the registration (or maybe the title??) and my ID. They turned the monitor around and let me read through the service details line by line. It was minor things like oil changes, fluids, light bulb changes, etc & a few recalls that were performed. There wasn't anything "interesting", so I didn't even ask to have a print-out. I never bothered with a Carfax.

Jas34

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Head over to the National Motor Vehicle Title Information System. gov site, there are a list of approved vendors that you can get info at least a good or better than Carfax. One of the first listed, (I think it is called bumper) you can get a week trial for a buck, and it let's you run a bunch of title checks during your trial.

Most info will be incomplete, but it's certainly worth pocket change
Be careful with bumper. They automatically sign you up for a monthly fee of about $29 or so if you forget to cancel (like I did). I finally caught it 4 or 5 months later. Shame on me, but did get them to credit back 3 of the charges when I called. Didn't give me any more info than Carfax or Auto check.

StateOfMind

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Be careful with bumper. They automatically sign you up for a monthly fee of about $29 or so if you forget to cancel (like I did). I finally caught it 4 or 5 months later. Shame on me, but did get them to credit back 3 of the charges when I called. Didn't give me any more info than Carfax or Auto check.
I'm not defending the company, but it is a one week trial. Not remembering to cancel after 1 week and not catching it for 4 or 5 months is on you. Every trial that you give a credit card will auto renew. But getting 50 vin checks for a buck is a better value than $25 for 1. I used it to check a couple vehicles, and when my alarm went off 6 days later I canceled. Just saying

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Do you take your truck to the dealer for service? If so, the dealer would have a record, even if it was serviced by other Chrysler dealerships. If you've owned it since new they might show you or even (possibly) print them out. If it was independent shops, then that's another matter.

When I bought my pickup many yrs ago, I went to the dealer who tapped in the vin to see what had been done. I think I had to show them the registration (or maybe the title??) and my ID. They turned the monitor around and let me read through the service details line by line. It was minor things like oil changes, fluids, light bulb changes, etc & a few recalls that were performed. There wasn't anything "interesting", so I didn't even ask to have a print-out. I never bothered with a Carfax.
Good advice. The only thing the dealer won't give you is the name and address of the current owner, but any service by a CDJR dealer is in their computer, including non-warranty maintenance and repairs.

This is how I know my previous 2010 is now in Alabama.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 110743 miles.

etbrown4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
If you google "discount carfax" you can get one for $7-10.

rvance

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pent 3.6
Just wondering if there is anyway to get service records besides carfax. My truck according to carfax is showing 31 records, Id like to see them but it's 44 bucks lol
If I was worried, 44 bucks is a lot less than any repairs. Heck, it's cheaper than a dinner for 3 at McDonald's. When I was shopping for a used truck I bought a years subscription to Carfax. It was cheaper than 3 requests.

JDSR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4l
I got free life time Carfax through the dealer for my 18 2500 Laramie.

Scott0700

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Most dealers pay a monthly fee and get unlimited reports. If you have a friend that sells cars, have him run it for you.

jimboschnitz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I bought a used 2016 Lonestar that had a clean Carfax. When I bought it I noticed the front bumper
was a little bent but could see no other damage. I ended up trading it 3 years later and the carfax
then showed and accident prior to my purchase. I think I bought the truck that Scottly traded in...LOL.