Constant power outlet - Can I switch the cigerette and USB?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

IwantaRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
New owner of 2018 Power Wagon.

Currently on my dash I have two power outlets. Left is the cigarette, right is the USB. My 'always on' is the USB. Does anyone know if I can swap the two outlets?

I want the 'always on' as my cigarette outlet. Anyone tried this?dash.jpg

CincyCuda68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You sure can, I installed a center console and have switched all of the power outlets to usb. The oem USB ports have the same alignment pin and same connector. You can either swap the one from the right to the left or you can order a new one for the left side. They simply pop out, pop the new one in and connect the power.
I would suggest removing the bottom plastic it’s only a few bolts, way easier to pop out from the back.

https://www.mymoparparts.com/oem-parts/mopar-usb-charging-port-68365897aa

1022244C-8254-4C35-BE20-4783CB98DDAC.jpeg 3C38A2E9-F658-4261-BB4A-61C87BE8DA12.jpeg 9E65018C-147B-4419-8D94-ED4409BF21A5.jpeg

OP
OP
IwantaRAM

IwantaRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Any chance you can post the part# or link for the 12V part? I checked through that Mopar site and cant find it. Thanks in advance

OP
OP
IwantaRAM

IwantaRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
no, looking for the 12V plug not the USB. Thanks!

OP
OP
IwantaRAM

IwantaRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Good looking out, Ill take a look if the 2500 is the same. Ill report back.

OP
OP
IwantaRAM

IwantaRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Ok, update time. YES, moving fuse from 90 to 91 works on 2018 power wagon. But it only makes my outlets in the center console/seat always on. Problem for me is that it’s only USB in there.

Going to pull offf the dash tomorrow then switch the two dash outlets to achieve 12v as constant. I’ll update tomorrow

TonyG

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a question concerning the USB ports as well. The USB port located at the lower right side of my dashboard doesn't seem to be working. My wife and I had some errands to run today and she needed to charge her phone. She plugged it into the right side USB port and her phone did not show it was charging. She plugged it into the one on the left using an adapter and it showed it was charging. She also tried the one inside the compartment on the center armrest ,it worked just fine. Can anyone offer any suggestions as to why that right side USB port is not working ? Thanks

OP
OP
IwantaRAM

IwantaRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Try another item in the USB port iPhone and iPhones cables can be finicky. Try compressed air. Swapping that port is easy, parts like 35 bucks

OP
OP
IwantaRAM

IwantaRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Also, I tried swapping the two plugs. It’s not possible without extending wires. The right USB plug is longer and tucked up near the HVAC vent so it won’t reach. Going to run a dedicated line from the battery.

CincyCuda68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Also, I tried swapping the two plugs. It’s not possible without extending wires. The right USB plug is longer and tucked up near the HVAC vent so it won’t reach. Going to run a dedicated line from the battery.
I’m sorry I misunderstood, I thought you wanted the usb to be on the drivers side, you wanted constant power to the drivers side correct?

Randothecomando

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L
Is it worth dropping $50 on changing a cigarette light to a usb port, when you can just plug in a usb adapter? I’m trying to justify it for myself.

Randothecomando

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L
You sure can, I installed a center console and have switched all of the power outlets to usb. The oem USB ports have the same alignment pin and same connector. You can either swap the one from the right to the left or you can order a new one for the left side. They simply pop out, pop the new one in and connect the power.
I would suggest removing the bottom plastic it’s only a few bolts, way easier to pop out from the back.

https://www.mymoparparts.com/oem-parts/mopar-usb-charging-port-68365897aa

View attachment 156998 View attachment 156997 View attachment 156996
What does it look like after installed? I have a 2019 Ram Classic with bench seat setup and wondered if this would fit.