Correct descent of a slope

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
D

DanGab

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Have you ever tried using the hill descent control feature on your truck?
That was my problem: how do I go down the slope in extreme conditions (snow, mud) without being on the truck HDC sistem, and the dealer in Romania claims that this system can only be installed on RAM only initially in the factory

OP
OP
D

DanGab

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I didn't have it on my Nissan Frontier, and that's when I learned that riding the brakes while creeping in neutral was the safest way to descend the hill on ice and snow.
I thought I'd give it a try, but I was afraid I would get out of the truck by losing control of my speed. I understand the explanation and I will try next weekend when I get to the cottage. Thanks

OP
OP
D

DanGab

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My method is simple:
Transfer case is usually in Auto, which is where I leave it.
I brake to a stop at the top of the steep slope.
I put the truck in neutral using the automatic gear shift knob on the dash.
I reduce brake pressure until the truck starts to roll (from gravity) and I keep the speed to barely moving.
The antilock brakes usually activate when a wheels skids.
If they don't, I reduce brake pressure until I can steer. Then I slowly reapply the brakes.
I don't try to stop the truck on the slope. I just try to keep the speed as low as possible without stopping.
The goal is to go down the center of the road, stay out of the ditch and off the cliff.
Do you disable ESP or it doesn't matter as long as the automatic gear is in neutral mode? :rolleyes:

OP
OP
D

DanGab

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The tires do not have to be independent going down a steep grade,
trusting your brakes to be perfectly balanced and the traction surface to be uniform is'nt going to happen.
If you need to turn while going down hill your front wheels should pull you in the desired direction anfd the rear will follow.
I understand that the wheels in order not to be independent, engage 4wd in low range without blocking the differential?
It will be interesting this winter as it will be my first with this newest style transfer case and RAM programing,
It's also my first winter with my new truck, so far I've used it by default HDC function from my old Amarok and it worked properly even with two curves one of which has 300 gr