I think im screwed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
OberonZed

OberonZed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Little update. I took back possesion of my truck and made an appointment with another service station and talked with their service manager and let him know my issues.
He said he would need time with the truck before anything. IMO this is a plus gives me hope they they are gonna do a full Diagnosis before just replacing/repairing the BCM. As i was not charged from the last shop since they couldnt do the job i am out nothing but the use of the truck for a week now.
They did do some research on their end and also could not find one they wpuld feel comfortable putting in a customers truck, but did say if the BCM is the problem if possible they would send mine out for repair ( apperantly they have a company) and hopefully get me up and running . Drop off monday night so heres hoping.
Again thanks all for the advice and help so far hopefully i wont need to learn how to replace a BCM and reprogram it in the next week or so.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Write down the BCM serial number, or take a pix or more

that is so IF they do send it off & every thing seemingly falls apart & they send it back to you, they don't send you someone elses Junk

Those software Repair Companies, have been know to send back someone elses CPUs.
My buddy sent them a CPU for a Dodge Ram Standard Shift, they sent back CPUs for Automatics, they did that to him 3 times.

The truck had to go to a Wrecking Yard.

I would have just converted the truck from Fuel Injection to Carburetor & distributor

That was the issue with the CPU, those things did not function correctly

Last edited:
OP
OP
OberonZed

OberonZed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Update sigh,
The shop that i was supposwd to take it to today says they dont want to touch it cause they cant fix or replace the BCM in my truck and dont want to take my money to diagnose it of they cant fix it. (Atleast they were honest with me)
So i went ot to the truck disconected the battery and disconected every fuse involved in my problems, and checked them for continuity, all passed. Pulled and pluged every relay in the box. Turned on the healights turned them off. Coneccted the battery back. Started the truck.
Everything is now working except i still have the original trailer brake and abs warning lights and messages. Do you all think its safe to assume its not the BCM and it was just fluky and just let the truck drive a bit to see if the codes reset?

Tominator223

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It’s a 13. I’d check the fuse box under hood. Take it apart look for corrosion . With all relays & fuses out shake it. If it rattles one of the relays built into it are bad. TIPM/fuse box. Had some weird issues with my 4. (Lights on without switch on no tail lights , blinkers worked then didn’t). Had to replace the relays soldered to the TIPM/ fuse box under side. Most of these box’s have 3-4 plastic tabs you can lightly drill out , comes apart easy . Check the grounds 1st.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That's a good idea to inspect the BCM. Some common issues in the rust-belt are the pins (on the connector side) can become corroded. I remember one owner in NY state had a really bad corroded connector, many bad pins. And also go to Youtube and just type in "How to spot bad solder joints" and look your TIPM over carefully.

Shops don't want to touch the truck b/c it's more likely than not a guaranteed money-loser for them. Compared to the usual cut and dried issues they normally see. More than likely they've been burned a few times with wiring/computer issues in the past. A shop could sink a lot of time into either the computer and/or the wiring and still not find the problem. And they're really not into root-cause analysis. So, let's say they put in a new computer, got it running and you get home and 2 days later it doesn't start again (because the "real" problem wasn't the computer but wiring). The customer would be steaming mad and...then, does the shop charge more time? Is it the 'new' computer? Or something else? Should they tow it to the shop for free? If they charge the customer, the customer will be steaming mad (b/c the customers are ALWAYS right ...you know), and they'll be out posting online telling everyone they suck. And plus jobs like that generally require putting one of their best guys on, when they could be earning revenue doing easy jobs that pretty much guarantee making money. It gets to be a sticky situation.

Last edited:

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Read all of the reply's, several are talking about the T.I.P.M (Total Intergrated Power Module) underneath the fuse panel in front of the battery, wouldn't hurt to take a look at it and these guys repair them and can give you some advice.