Daughter bought a new GMC

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
Yep. She bought a new 2024 Sierra 1500 AT4. Factory 2" lift and about everything you can get including lane change thing and that auto braking stuff...lol. She can't pick it up till Tuesday cause they are installing tailgate speakers? What?
Anyway, it has the 6.2. She has a 2016 Acura TLX but its at 100,000 miles now. Still in excellent shape but she drives about 25,000 miles a year. She is keeping the Acura to drive to work but she owns a few rental properties and is always hauling tools and supplies.
Funny thing is she had a 2016 Wrangler Unlimited that she bought brand new and had a 4" lift, 35" tires and 4.88's installed on then sold it cause it was too hard on gas for her daily commute...lol

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
I'm sorry for your loss.

Seriously, the drive train is pretty solid. The 6.2L is solid and I liked the way the 10 speed responded better than Ford's version. I just didn't like the rest of the truck that much, including the oddball shifter that's kind of a video game controller more than a shifter to my mind. Too small a gas tank for the fuel economy resulting in abysmal range. Bose stereo was the worst sounding of the big 3's top end systems. Transfer case is fine for most people's uses, assuming she doesn't want to do any heavy off-roading she'll never see an issue there.

Seats were comfy, screens were logically laid out. Ride was really nicein the ZR2, never drove the other trims. Just wasn't for me.

I fully recognize my preferences aren't everyone's and hope she truly enjoys her purchase.

OP
OP
dhay13

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
Doubt she will do any off-roading. She got that out of her system with her Wrangler and has a side by side and trailer.
I haven't seen the truck yet but she got the 84 month 84,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty. Said she plans to keep it a long time. She owns 2 rental houses and a 6 unit and 4 unit buildings and has been hauling most of the stuff in her Acura TLX or borrowing my truck.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Doubt she will do any off-roading. She got that out of her system with her Wrangler and has a side by side and trailer.
I haven't seen the truck yet but she got the 84 month 84,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty. Said she plans to keep it a long time. She owns 2 rental houses and a 6 unit and 4 unit buildings and has been hauling most of the stuff in her Acura TLX or borrowing my truck.
When U get a chance take a decent ride and drive and report back.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Hate to say it, but that 6.2 is terrible news these last few years. Lots of reports of lifter failures on the GM forums, much more than the hemis. The 6.2 and 5.3 should be avoided.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Transfer case + the open diffs sucks in those trucks. I had a customer almost get stuck in my wet grass because it was not level. 4x4 and 2 wheels were spinning. It was embarrassing. And they had about 200lbs in the bed.

Not crazy hills or anything. Just kinda uneven wavy ground.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Transfer case + the open diffs sucks in those trucks. I had a customer almost get stuck in my wet grass because it was not level. 4x4 and 2 wheels were spinning. It was embarrassing. And they had about 200lbs in the bed.

Not crazy hills or anything. Just kinda uneven wavy ground.
I think it depends on the trim. The cheap trucks (2.7 turbo) come with 4x4 but no low speed tcase, which is the only 1500 to offer a 4x4 without low. Some of the other trims it depends as well, if you get the Z71 (silverado) or X31 (sierra) then you get the low speed tcase. The upper trims seem to come with the true 4x4. Other than that though the other brands all offer open diffs in the rear as well.

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins
Hate to say it, but that 6.2 is terrible news these last few years. Lots of reports of lifter failures on the GM forums, much more than the hemis. The 6.2 and 5.3 should be avoided.
Have a close relationship with a Chevy dealer here in town. While I won't dispute that there are lifter issues on some of them, comparing it to the lifter issues on that Hemi POS is laughable...Nowhere near the same frequency.

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins
Seats were comfy, screens were logically laid out.
The layout of the controls on my 2020 Chevy was not very intuitive. Same as their cars... Nothing is where you expect it to be. Example: You have to twist the wiper control arm to get one swipe, or "mist"...Pushing an arm or pulling an arm makes more sense to me, not a twist. If you leave the headlights on, it chimes at you...If you leave the rear job lights on, you'll burn down the battery and it'll never make a sound. If you turn off the automatic headlights, they reactivate when you turn the headlights on...which means when you are backing into your driveway and you turn the headlight switch to parking lights out of consideration for your neighbor across the street, once you click the dial to "off", the damn headlights come on....

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Beautiful truck, Not going to lie they are on my radar (with the 3.0 duramax). I don't really "need" a HD truck any more these days but still have a love for diesel engines so it would be a good fit for me. Wish more companies would do a 1/2 ton with a diesel in it.....

White six four

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Being on this forum and a gm suv forum pretty much daily to me it seems the newer gm's since they switched to their cylinder confusion as it's called on their has more lifter problems with the 5.3s then the newer hemis but a lot of 6.2s with spun bearings. Gm has like 17-2x some different firing orders now depending on what cylinders it shuts off during its cylinder deactivation.

Can't really compare 10+ year old hemis with over 100k miles to newer 5.3 and 6.2 that most have less then 50k. Not too many people have lifter problems with their less then a few year old hemi. I'm not brand loyal at all just saying there's a lot more newer gms with motor problems then newer hemis. At least from my reading. Relative had the lifters on their 21 or 22 yukon replaced around 30k. One good thing about gm's is they seem to happen within warranty. Gm even has a tsb coming out or is out on the 6.2 about replacing them.

This is all if we are talking about newer within the past few years.

Dan Topp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm sorry for your loss.

Seriously, the drive train is pretty solid. The 6.2L is solid and I liked the way the 10 speed responded better than Ford's version. I just didn't like the rest of the truck that much, including the oddball shifter that's kind of a video game controller more than a shifter to my mind. Too small a gas tank for the fuel economy resulting in abysmal range. Bose stereo was the worst sounding of the big 3's top end systems. Transfer case is fine for most people's uses, assuming she doesn't want to do any heavy off-roading she'll never see an issue there.

Seats were comfy, screens were logically laid out. Ride was really nicein the ZR2, never drove the other trims. Just wasn't for me.

I fully recognize my preferences aren't everyone's and hope she truly enjoys her purchase.
That’s one of the things I hate even more than the idiotic dial shifter on the ram. The caddy shifter is hard to figure and confusing to me.The collision avoidance is even more annoying.image.jpg

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L non-Etorque
I just didn't like the rest of the truck that much, including the oddball shifter that's kind of a video game controller more than a shifter to my mind.
Unfortunately pretty much all car makers are going to unconventional types of shifters for vehicles with auto gearboxes. Some are definitely better than others though. Here are just a few...

1722626121496.png

1722626235978.png

1722626292274.png

1722626352708.png

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Not sure what I'll buy next. My local dealer sold to a new group and the service department is going downhill, which it already had been since covid cleared out their best mechanics. Worse in the last year though for policy reasons vs staffing. Same group also bought the nissan, gm/chevy/cadillac and I believe even the honda dealer now so might have to go Ford as the best service department left, although not great either from what I've heard. They all break and have issues so to me whichever brand is best at fixing them in my area is who I favour. Was ram, now not sure.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
That’s one of the things I hate even more than the idiotic dial shifter on the ram. The caddy shifter is hard to figure and confusing to me.The collision avoidance is even more annoying.View attachment 547818
That's one thing i like in the Challengers is their shifter,it's simplicity onto itself to use. Push the button,and pull it back for auto mode,slap it sideways for manual mode. The only thing i'm not a fan of,it's backasswards from older console shifters,in manual mode,you pull it back to upshift,not like an old school console shifter,where you pushed the shifter ahead to upshift

Attachments

• IMG_4322 (2).JPG
    IMG_4322 (2).JPG
    139.4 KB · Views: 7