Daughter bought a new GMC

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
That's one thing i like in the Challengers is their shifter,it's simplicity onto itself to use. Push the button,and pull it back for auto mode,slap it sideways for manual mode. The only thing i'm not a fan of,it's backasswards from older console shifters,in manual mode,you pull it back to upshift,not like an old school console shifter,where you pushed the shifter ahead to upshift

I get that in every measurable metric the autos are better (except *maybe* maintenance/repair costs?) I still like the 6 speed in my Camaro, which is always in manual mode...

Dan Topp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not sure what I'll buy next. My local dealer sold to a new group and the service department is going downhill, which it already had been since covid cleared out their best mechanics. Worse in the last year though for policy reasons vs staffing. Same group also bought the nissan, gm/chevy/cadillac and I believe even the honda dealer now so might have to go Ford as the best service department left, although not great either from what I've heard. They all break and have issues so to me whichever brand is best at fixing them in my area is who I favour. Was ram, now not sure.
It seemed to me that 24 was the cutoff for not seeing the majority of your choices having some sort of hybrid battery

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I get that in every measurable metric the autos are better (except *maybe* maintenance/repair costs?) I still like the 6 speed in my Camaro, which is always in manual mode...
The 8 speeds in the Chyrsler line up are far quicker then the 6 speeds,no human on this planet can shift as fast as a computor can,and more reliable ,no clutch to burn up,lol.
Ma Mopar doesn't put sticks in their drag oriented cars like the 2018 Demon / the Demon 170 or the 1320,but they do put a tranny brake in them

Nickx86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Yep. She bought a new 2024 Sierra 1500 AT4. Factory 2" lift and about everything you can get including lane change thing and that auto braking stuff...lol. She can't pick it up till Tuesday cause they are installing tailgate speakers? What?
Anyway, it has the 6.2. She has a 2016 Acura TLX but its at 100,000 miles now. Still in excellent shape but she drives about 25,000 miles a year. She is keeping the Acura to drive to work but she owns a few rental properties and is always hauling tools and supplies.
Funny thing is she had a 2016 Wrangler Unlimited that she bought brand new and had a 4" lift, 35" tires and 4.88's installed on then sold it cause it was too hard on gas for her daily commute...lol

Hopefully her 6.2 is reliable, my brother is a GM master tech and he been swamping 6.2 long blocks like crazy under warranty. Some with as little as 3000 miles

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I think it depends on the trim. The cheap trucks (2.7 turbo) come with 4x4 but no low speed tcase, which is the only 1500 to offer a 4x4 without low. Some of the other trims it depends as well, if you get the Z71 (silverado) or X31 (sierra) then you get the low speed tcase. The upper trims seem to come with the true 4x4. Other than that though the other brands all offer open diffs in the rear as well.
All I know was it was a fancy GMC that looked like a stuck golf cart in wet grass.

I said “put it in 4 wheel”. They said “IT IS!”

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
The 8 speeds in the Chyrsler line up are far quicker then the 6 speeds,no human on this planet can shift as fast as a computor can,and more reliable ,no clutch to burn up,lol.
Ma Mopar doesn't put sticks in their drag oriented cars like the 2018 Demon / the Demon 170 or the 1320,but they do put a tranny brake in them

Stipulated. They are faster, they are stronger. Like I said, better in every measurable metric.

I'll take the sheer performance hit for the fun factor, though I certainly don't begrudge anyone who decides the other way at all.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Stipulated. They are faster, they are stronger. Like I said, better in every measurable metric.

I'll take the sheer performance hit for the fun factor, though I certainly don't begrudge anyone who decides the other way at all.
I used to race 4 speeds at the track in my younger days,and i have to admit,i don't miss the sore shoulder that used to go along with them,lol. I'm old school of the class who doesn't lift on a shift,so by the time the day was over,your shoulder was paying for it ;) :Big Laugh:
Plus i hate a stick in traffic,i spent enough time rowing gears in trucks,the last thing i want to do is jump into another toy that i need to run a clutch in:waytogo:. I'll admit at times they might be a touch more fun,but anything with enough power to light up street tires through 3rd with an auto,is just as much fun,lol

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
I used to race 4 speeds at the track in my younger days,and i have to admit,i don't miss the sore shoulder that used to go along with them,lol. I'm old school of the class who doesn't lift on a shift,so by the time the day was over,your shoulder was paying for it ;) :Big Laugh:
Plus i hate a stick in traffic,i spent enough time rowing gears in trucks,the last thing i want to do is jump into another toy that i need to run a clutch in:waytogo:. I'll admit at times they might be a touch more fun,but anything with enough power to light up street tires through 3rd with an auto,is just as much fun,lol

If I lived in Atlanta or DC or the like I'd probably never bother with a clutch, but my car is mostly a toy and seldom sees any heavy traffic. The Camaro does have a 'no lift shift' feature if you want to let it help you, but you have to engage it. I tried it once but didn't like it. It works fine, mind you, I just couldn't quite get the nagging out of my head that said to not trust it. That's a 'me problem', though, it seems to work well for those who like it.

Speaking just for me, I think cars have peaked at the technology I am interested in already. I like having things like dual zone AC, air bags, 360 cameras, keyless entry and start, and today's headlights are a *huge* leap forward over the old round halogens, but at a certain point it feels like riding a horse. You aren't in control, the horse is, you're just making suggestions and the horse does that if it agrees. Now it's if the computer agrees. Computers aren't afraid of snakes, though, so at least there's that.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
If I lived in Atlanta or DC or the like I'd probably never bother with a clutch, but my car is mostly a toy and seldom sees any heavy traffic. The Camaro does have a 'no lift shift' feature if you want to let it help you, but you have to engage it. I tried it once but didn't like it. It works fine, mind you, I just couldn't quite get the nagging out of my head that said to not trust it. That's a 'me problem', though, it seems to work well for those who like it.

Speaking just for me, I think cars have peaked at the technology I am interested in already. I like having things like dual zone AC, air bags, 360 cameras, keyless entry and start, and today's headlights are a *huge* leap forward over the old round halogens, but at a certain point it feels like riding a horse. You aren't in control, the horse is, you're just making suggestions and the horse does that if it agrees. Now it's if the computer agrees. Computers aren't afraid of snakes, though, so at least there's that.
I agree they've got way more technology in them,then i'll ever use nowadays. I'm guessing the "no lift" feature basically cuts spark for a mili-second to help with the shift,in Dodge speak it's called "torque management",lol
Anything i buy as a toy,is always drag raced,so i usually go for the quicker and more reliable automatic.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
I agree they've got way more technology in them,then i'll ever use nowadays. I'm guessing the "no lift" feature basically cuts spark for a mili-second to help with the shift,in Dodge speak it's called "torque management",lol
Anything i buy as a toy,is always drag raced,so i usually go for the quicker and more reliable automatic.

It is torque control (GM speak for the same thing) but it also does target a certain RPM while the shift is taking place. Different motors are mapped slightly differently, depending on forced induction or NA, V6 vs V8 and SS or 1LE (drag vs track oriented). It uses both spark and fuel control, though I don't know the details beyond that.

"The feature keeps the throttle at full open for both our boosted and non-boosted applications when passing through the Engine Over-speed Protection during a shift. In Engineering terms, when triggered, there is an immediate torque control, with fuel and spark, for a given period of time. Then, a predictive control takes over using the throttle to control torque. This allows the driver to take advantage of fast torque control for a short period of time (e.g. during the shift) without heating up or damaging the catalyst over time." - Al Oppenheiser (Camaro project Chief Engineer)

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
It is torque control (GM speak for the same thing) but it also does target a certain RPM while the shift is taking place. Different motors are mapped slightly differently, depending on forced induction or NA, V6 vs V8 and SS or 1LE (drag vs track oriented). It uses both spark and fuel control, though I don't know the details beyond that.

"The feature keeps the throttle at full open for both our boosted and non-boosted applications when passing through the Engine Over-speed Protection during a shift. In Engineering terms, when triggered, there is an immediate torque control, with fuel and spark, for a given period of time. Then, a predictive control takes over using the throttle to control torque. This allows the driver to take advantage of fast torque control for a short period of time (e.g. during the shift) without heating up or damaging the catalyst over time." - Al Oppenheiser (Camaro project Chief Engineer)
In the old days it was an MSD box with a 7200 to 7500 pill in it,if you missed a shift,lol. This COT system they employ these days leaves alot to be desired (cat over temp),build a damn cat that'll flow with out over heating.
The early 15 and 16 707 horse Hellcats that have never had the recall done for the COT are usually noticably quicker then the 797 horse Red Eyes are at the track,but if the cars ever been in and the dealer did the recall,they slow down alot.

OP
OP
dhay13

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
I saw the window sticker but can't see it now. It says it has the 2 speed t-case and a locking diff with 3.21's. Has rain sensing wipers and trailer brakes, adaptive cruise control, etc.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
Hopefully her 6.2 is reliable, my brother is a GM master tech and he been swamping 6.2 long blocks like crazy under warranty. Some with as little as 3000 miles

WTF did they do to them? The LS3 was one of the most reliable motors GM ever built!

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7

ADDED: And if that Hossie gets a "burr" under their saddle and decides on a quick exit stage Left Turn, U best be aware and watching the signs, or U end up on yer backside or run into a tree limb. LMAO (do not ask how I know).

SHIFTING: For fun, try driving an old M35A2 (deuce and a half) on the Autobahn and the hills around German Towns with skinny turns, or going up and down hills to get to a German Kaserne or ranges. By the time U wheel and deal that old 2 1/2 truck, between shifting and manual steering, yer arms fall off, lmao.

(Specifically climbing hills to get to Wildeflicken lol.)

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
WTF did they do to them? The LS3 was one of the most reliable motors GM ever built!
Bad computer mapping (AFM/DFM) and poor parts. The 5.3's and 6.2's been trashing lifters and cams also, some with super low mileage. (At least the 10 speeds that GM did with Ford seem better on the GM end than the Ford end). But alas, could be the pick of the draw. BOIRD so happy he has a pre-covid 5th Gen truck. Yes it has had problems and warranty work done, but believe it was put together better than the Covid rides.

All above IMHO only.